Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

2300cc 16v Build

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

projectpug

projectpug
  • Drivers
  • 591 posts
Sounds very interesting and should be a really powerful beast when done. Do you think its worth all the extra effort/cash to go from the 2.2 to 2.3? What are the gains? Wouldnt the extra long stroke be less reliable too?

wardy18

wardy18
  • Drivers+
  • 2,170 posts
Garage View Garage
to be honest from chatting to Matt at QEP the cost from 2.2 to 2.3 isnt a mssive hike, the 2.2 conversion would still mean sourcing the 92mm crank and off the shelf custom pistons from QEP running standard rods but the only difference with the 2.3 conv is gettin the pistons made to my spec with a lower compression height and sourcing a 96mm crank (already sourced) instead of the 92mm, still standard rods

gains would be alot more torque and at a lower rev range so the engine doesnt need to be screamed to get peak power and is ideal for hillclimbing as i need a torquey motor to drive me out the slow corners

reliability didnt seem an issue when chatting with Matt as ill be sticking to 87mm bore

SurGie

SurGie
  • Drivers
  • 3,048 posts
  • Name:George

to be honest from chatting to Matt at QEP the cost from 2.2 to 2.3 isnt a mssive hike, the 2.2 conversion would still mean sourcing the 92mm crank and off the shelf custom pistons from QEP running standard rods but the only difference with the 2.3 conv is gettin the pistons made to my spec with a lower compression height and sourcing a 96mm crank (already sourced) instead of the 92mm, still standard rods

gains would be alot more torque and at a lower rev range so the engine doesnt need to be screamed to get peak power and is ideal for hillclimbing as i need a torquey motor to drive me out the slow corners

reliability didnt seem an issue when chatting with Matt as ill be sticking to 87mm bore

I was told that QEP has closed down and not building any more engine's.
When did you speak to him?

wardy18

wardy18
  • Drivers+
  • 2,170 posts
Garage View Garage
Matt is only supplying me the parts and doin the head work, not actually building the engine itself, i have spoken to him over the last few days and have had no hints he's closed or closing

projectpug

projectpug
  • Drivers
  • 591 posts
Sounds good Wardy if its not much more cash then might as well go for it. Have you any idea what bhp/torque your aiming for/estimating/want?

wardy18

wardy18
  • Drivers+
  • 2,170 posts
Garage View Garage
Thats what i thought, with a little more effort and budget i go all the way and get an insane engine rather than an awesome engine!

ive never really understood why people aim for a certain bhp or torque figure, i jus want as much as i can get from what im building but depending on how the budget goes ill be running standard 6 cams to start with and still on the old carbs, am hoping for 250bhp up to 300bhp would be excellent but it'll be more of a torque motor so we'll see, once i have a decent set of cams in ill bring it to the uk for a power run with the carbs on to see what its running then eventually when i go tb's ill do the same and compare

big plans i just hope it all goes to plan

Batfink

Batfink
  • Drivers
  • 4,802 posts
  • Name:Kev Self
QEP are not closed or closing. I use them as a distributor and they still are supplying me for the foreseeable future

carbers205

carbers205
  • Drivers
  • 294 posts
Wardy have you spoken to Matt about big end width?
Reason I ask is the standard XU rods are 24mm whereas the 92mm crank is 26mm so theres too much float. Not sure whether this applies for the 96mm crank though. Just something else to consider as you will need new rods if this is the case.

wardy18

wardy18
  • Drivers+
  • 2,170 posts
Garage View Garage
Matt did mention and knew how to resolve it so yeh he's aware and he also said there's people that have built the 2.2 blocks with the 92mm crank and hadn't noticed this and so the rods are floating still!

wardy18

wardy18
  • Drivers+
  • 2,170 posts
Garage View Garage
do all xu cranks have toothed cogs to run the oil pump?!

the 96mm crank has and just wanna make sure this will go in with the GTi6 engine and oil pump configuration!?

Mandic

Mandic
  • Drivers
  • 859 posts
If You are referring to toothed crank web, that's for balancer shafts.

Cheers

Ziga

wardy18

wardy18
  • Drivers+
  • 2,170 posts
Garage View Garage
Is this still ok for a gti6 block?

carbers205

carbers205
  • Drivers
  • 294 posts
No we're talking oil pump sprocket and yes XUs and XUDs run sprockets, just be careful there are a few different chain lengths and sprocket sizes/designs depending on the crank.

wardy18

wardy18
  • Drivers+
  • 2,170 posts
Garage View Garage
Ok so just a matter of gettin the right length chain to fit

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,025 posts
  • Name:Mei
and the correct sprockets. do you have a picture of the crank?

wardy18

wardy18
  • Drivers+
  • 2,170 posts
Garage View Garage
Haven't got one yet, soon thou, yeh just found out that the sprocket can be changed so thats ok, ill have the gti6 crank so i can always swap it for that, think ill just have to wait and see

Guest_L2theK_*

Guest_L2theK_*
  • Guests
Hello Wardy18

I don't know if it can help you, but you are velcome to look at my homepage.
It is a dairy of my 2,3 liter build
the homepage is

http://l2thek.homepage.dk/

wardy18

wardy18
  • Drivers+
  • 2,170 posts
Garage View Garage
excellent, thanx mate ill have a read

wardy18

wardy18
  • Drivers+
  • 2,170 posts
Garage View Garage
well thought i would update you all on the progress, i am about to purchase a GTi6 engine i have found, well a complete 'rattly' block and a head from an engine with snapped belt, none of these things matter as the block will be totally rebuilt and re-bored and the head will have bigger inlet valves and can replace any exhaust ones!!

the whole lot is going to be courierd to Matt at QEP as soon as poss for him to break the block down and re-bore to 87mm and also measure it all up for the rods and pistons as i will also have the 96mm crank delivered to him

the block will be then shipped to me with all the bits to be prepared for the re-build when i can afford the pistons

the head will stay with Matt until i can afford the solid lifters etc and cams and the head work

so there's the plan so far, its starting to come together slowly but surely

projectpug

projectpug
  • Drivers
  • 591 posts
Great news wardy :huh: nice to get the project started isn't it?