Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

2300cc 16v Build

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

wardy18

wardy18
  • Drivers+
  • 2,170 posts
Garage View Garage
yes mate, its nice to get past the planning stage and actually start ordering and buying the bits on the list and gettin the process going, lots of hard work ahead, especially as i need to widen all my arches to acomodate the new wider wheels and adjusting the ride height so its not just the engine ill be workin on

wardy18

wardy18
  • Drivers+
  • 2,170 posts
Garage View Garage
anyone know if the cam carriers from a different GTi 6 head can me matched to another GTi 6 head or do they HAVE to be original and if not rendering head useless?!?!?

simon

whizzer71

whizzer71
  • Drivers
  • 680 posts
I may be wrong but I believe that they are line bored so probably not

:)

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts

anyone know if the cam carriers from a different GTi 6 head can me matched to another GTi 6 head or do they HAVE to be original and if not rendering head useless?!?!?

simon

Must be orginal as they are line-bored.

However can be fixed by grinding down the height of them and linebored again afterwards, but it is also expensive.. so cheaper for a new head possible.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,025 posts
  • Name:Mei
yes they have to be the originals for that head, they are line bored as a set.

wardy18

wardy18
  • Drivers+
  • 2,170 posts
Garage View Garage
Matt said that not many people have the capabilities of doing this either and yeh is up to a 500 quid job so looks like im on the hunt for a better head, at least the block work can start

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts

Matt said that not many people have the capabilities of doing this either and yeh is up to a 500 quid job so looks like im on the hunt for a better head, at least the block work can start

Yes very expensive :D
I had to do this to my 2.3 litre, because the head came from an unknown source, and seemed like the carriers did belong to another head.

Sent the head to Sweeden to get the lineboring done there.
"Only" 300 quid though, but silly money.

monty69

monty69
  • Drivers+
  • 165 posts
Will this 96mm crank still be good for 7000rpm?

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts

Will this 96mm crank still be good for 7000rpm?

Not sure, but my modified XU11D crank is now 94.5mm stroke and I take it to 8000rpm.

wardy18

wardy18
  • Drivers+
  • 2,170 posts
Garage View Garage
i would have thought peak power will be lower down the rev range due to the amount of torque it will have with the bigger bore size so wont really have any need to rev it up to 8k

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts

i would have thought peak power will be lower down the rev range due to the amount of torque it will have with the bigger bore size so wont really have any need to rev it up to 8k

Depends on your cam choice I guess.
Mine has still climbing powercurve at the limiter at 8000rpm.

But if you are aiming for about 200-220bhp that should not be a problem to get below 7000rpm.

wardy18

wardy18
  • Drivers+
  • 2,170 posts
Garage View Garage
with the right cam choice and head work, Matt has predicted approx 270bhp or higher so this is what im aiming for

my main restrictors will be the exhaust mani and the carbs i guess so once the engine is up and running all save up for TB's and a proper exhaust mani to match the engine spec

wardy18

wardy18
  • Drivers+
  • 2,170 posts
Garage View Garage
thought i would update even thou not alot has happened, the GTi=6 engine is now sat at QEP with Matt and waiting for me to source the new 96mm crank and get that to him so he can pull the engine apart and measure up the new pistons that will be needed etc

progress is slow at the mo but also got alot to do to the car, ie widening my arches for the new wider wheels and making moulds to back myself up, adjusting the cars rides height for the new wheels anf giving the current engine a once over ready for next year