Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Stu's Car Works!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

hexhamstu

hexhamstu
  • Drivers
  • 2,564 posts
  • Name:Stuart
so its on mi16 management and carbs, but it smokes like james dean. havent solved the drive shaft as some ebay idiot sent me the wrong one.

here is a video link of said smoke, any ideas?

video of smokey smokerson.

heres a picture of the drive shaft, hopefully getting a s16/gti-6 drive shaft should solve this.

Posted Image

and here is the stupid car looking sorry for itself.

Posted Image

on a plus note i blagged the halfords trade card! :ph34r:

hexhamstu

hexhamstu
  • Drivers
  • 2,564 posts
oh yeah, and the bonnet no longer shuts, anyone one with carbs solved this by cutting out all the extra bit under the bonnet just leaving the actually top skin if you know what i mean. really cant be arsed faffing on getting an auto bonnet sprayed to match.

heres another photo........
Posted Image

Edited by hexhamstu, 06 December 2008 - 04:20 PM.

happygoron

happygoron
  • Drivers
  • 729 posts
Woo! Now get it to swansea!

Miles

Miles
  • Pitcrew+
  • 11,683 posts
  • Name:Miles
Garage View Garage
Need a new linkage that fit's under the carb's, you can just see it in this picture

Attached Files

hexhamstu

hexhamstu
  • Drivers
  • 2,564 posts
i think the filters are fouling it the most so might buy a foam one instead, but they are alot of money i guess i can sell these ones on fleabay.

hexhamstu

hexhamstu
  • Drivers
  • 2,564 posts
any ideas on the smoke???

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,025 posts
  • Name:Mei
how long has it sat idle for and has it had a long run yet?

looks like just condensation to me :lol:

hexhamstu

hexhamstu
  • Drivers
  • 2,564 posts
i was hoping you would say that! there is no sign of exhaust gasses in the expansion tank, so i dont think its head gasket. i think i'll just stick a drive shaft in and drive it a few miles. hopefully all will be fine.

DrSarty

DrSarty
  • Drivers
  • 4,983 posts
  • Name:Rich
Garage View Garage

i was hoping you would say that! there is no sign of exhaust gasses in the expansion tank, so i dont think its head gasket. i think i'll just stick a drive shaft in and drive it a few miles. hopefully all will be fine.

I think that's the plan.

What about jetting? Once she's warm and done a few miles, you could check the plugs to see how it's burning. It may be running rich depending on what you did with the jets and also the ambient temp and humidity will effect what the smoke looks like out the back.

Have a blat and I reckon it'll go away and make you a happy chappy again.

hexhamstu

hexhamstu
  • Drivers
  • 2,564 posts
as far as i know the mechanic didnt touch the jets as it was already jetted for the engine and ran fine in stuFs car. going back home on the 18th so will be doing the driveshaft then just need to buy another! also what is the MOT requirements about the bonnet? can i get through it without one? i guess i just need to fine an auto bonnet for the time being.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,025 posts
  • Name:Mei
do bear in mind that the bulge on an auto bonnet is at the back not the front...

hexhamstu

hexhamstu
  • Drivers
  • 2,564 posts

do bear in mind that the bulge on an auto bonnet is at the back not the front...

so basically isnt going to help? i think a foam filter is going to be needed.

hexhamstu

hexhamstu
  • Drivers
  • 2,564 posts
does anyone make an off the shelf box filter for them? im guessing no....

hexhamstu

hexhamstu
  • Drivers
  • 2,564 posts
is there a way of keeping the hub side of the shaft in situ and just changing the cup with it all on there or do i have to take the whole drive shaft out and put the new cup on then whip it all back in again?

hexhamstu

hexhamstu
  • Drivers
  • 2,564 posts
http://www.demon-twe...;pcode=P/CC6001

which size filter will i need?

Baz

Baz
  • Drivers.
  • 10,300 posts
  • Name:באז
Auto bonnet will help a little as there's still more clearance due to the less strengthening bars on the underside being in a different place. :lol:

mattbenselin

mattbenselin
  • Drivers
  • 489 posts
I have an auto bonnet in the garage which has had the bit underneath cut away to accomodate K&N filters such as yours. So I'm guessing even the auto bonnet doesn't clear them, as said before probably because the bulge is further back.
You could try an ITG filter or similar or try to lower yours; do they removable base plates? Yes or no you could try make a new base plate with the holes closer to the top and attach them to the back of your filters, then the filters would sit lower in relation to the carbs and bonnet.

Matt

hexhamstu

hexhamstu
  • Drivers
  • 2,564 posts

I have an auto bonnet in the garage which has had the bit underneath cut away to accomodate K&N filters such as yours. So I'm guessing even the auto bonnet doesn't clear them, as said before probably because the bulge is further back.
You could try an ITG filter or similar or try to lower yours; do they removable base plates? Yes or no you could try make a new base plate with the holes closer to the top and attach them to the back of your filters, then the filters would sit lower in relation to the carbs and bonnet.

Matt

i like the new back plate idea, i'll try that one out.

hexhamstu

hexhamstu
  • Drivers
  • 2,564 posts
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...E...:1|240:1318

will these fit a set of 45s?

hexhamstu

hexhamstu
  • Drivers
  • 2,564 posts
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...O...:1|240:1318

think im just going to buy a set of those.