Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

1.6 With A 1.9 Crank

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
  • Name:Matt
Hi all,

Well ive finaly got round to fiddling with the engine that came out of my crashed 1.6 and when checking the bearings etc I thought that people have turned there 1.6's to 1.9's by changing the crank, injectors, AFM etc but couldnt find any posts after a while of searching. Just wondering if its worth it as ive got the 1.9 crank spare while its apart?, and with the std 1.6 pistons it would increase the cr??.

Thanks.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,026 posts
  • Name:Mei
it'll only work if you have the 1.9 rods as well.

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts

it'll only work if you have the 1.9 rods as well.

O rite ok, would there be any benefit of using a 1.9 crank while keeping the 1.6 pistons and rods?. I dont really want to take the head off as I only rebuilt it 10K miles ago.

Thanks

pug_ham

pug_ham
  • Team Managers
  • 18,423 posts
  • Name:Graham
Garage View Garage
The 1.6 rods won't fit the 1.9 crank, different sized big ends.

Graham.

mattbenselin

mattbenselin
  • Drivers
  • 489 posts
As Welshpug said you will need to have 1.9 spec crank and rods as the 1.6 rods will not fit on the 1.9 crank. They will though fit the pistons. You will get longer stroke which increases the displacement but to get it all to work properly you need to change the ECU, injectors, AFM, dizzy etc to 1.9 items.
You may also need the sump spacer found only on the 1.9s, as I think this gives the extra clearance in the sump for the extended stroke.

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
Ok cheers guys, looks like ill just be getting new bearings then!.

Edited by matty_gti, 21 December 2008 - 04:45 PM.

pug_ham

pug_ham
  • Team Managers
  • 18,423 posts
Garage View Garage

You may also need the sump spacer found only on the 1.9s, as I think this gives the extra clearance in the sump for the extended stroke.

The 1.6 sump is deeper than the 1.9 & its not just a spacer but a block stiffener as well.

It should be fine without the stiffener plate & a 1.6 sump, I ran my 1.9 track car like this for a year or two before swapping to an Mi16 alloy sump (also without the stiffener) then fitting the stiffener & 1.9 sump.

Graham.

Baz

Baz
  • Drivers.
  • 10,300 posts
  • Name:באז
It'll also be fine, although given not ideal, running on it's original management. (ECU, AFM, Injectors, etc)

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
By how much is the 1.6 sump deeper than 1.9 then?, volume wise?.

And i don't supose you can remove and replace pictons from the bottom of the liner rather than the top?.

Thanks.

Edited by matty_gti, 22 December 2008 - 07:57 PM.

pug_ham

pug_ham
  • Team Managers
  • 18,423 posts
Garage View Garage
With the stiffener plate fitted the 1.6 & 1.9 sumps are effectively the same depth same capacity.

You can't swap the pistons & liners from underneath iirc because the main bearing caps are in the way.

Graham.

dcc

dcc
  • Drivers+
  • 3,141 posts
  • Name:Dan
The liners wont fit out the bottom at all, however, think my pistons came through the bottom with no problems (crank removed), they might have come out with the liners though, can't remember now!

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
I know the liners cant be removed from the bottom because of the way they are designed.

With the crank removed could I remove the pistons from underneath, swap the rings over to a set of 1.9 pistons and then fit these back in with the help of p.ring compressors?, or remove the pistons from underneath and replace the rods for 1.9 items retaining the 1.6 pistons and put in a 1.9 crank?.

Just trying to steer away from taking off the head, only been on the block for 10k.

Thanks.

Edited by matty_gti, 23 December 2008 - 05:26 PM.

pug_ham

pug_ham
  • Team Managers
  • 18,423 posts
Garage View Garage
I've attached a picture of an Mi16 block from underneath, there are no liners fitted & the only difference is the under piston oilspray bars but as I'm sure you can see, it would be impossible to get a piston out from underneath because there isn't enough space between the bearings.

Even if you could the piston ring compressor wouldn't clear the main bearing halfs in the block so there would be a gap between the end of that & the liner which would allow the rings to open & stop them sliding into the liner bore.

Graham.

Attached Files

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
Ok thanks pugtorque, a picture tells a thousand words!

Cameron

Cameron
  • Banned
  • 5,076 posts
Why bother? Surely its easier and cheaper to just get rid of the 1.6 and use a 1.9 engine.

MerlinGTI

MerlinGTI
  • Drivers
  • 1,316 posts
As I understand it after reading another thread about using a mixture of 1.9/1.6 engine parts, the 1.6 pistions will give you a huge CR in what will basically be a 1.9 engine after you have changed the crank and rods.

So high your encounter problems if using std management and pump fuel.

Cameron

Cameron
  • Banned
  • 5,076 posts
Run it on Diesel? :rolleyes:

DamirGTI

DamirGTI
  • Pitcrew
  • 2,742 posts
  • Name:Damir
98 RON petrol and re-curved dizzy will do the trick :rolleyes:

Damir

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts

98 RON petrol and re-curved dizzy will do the trick :(

Damir

Your rite, it doesnt raise the comp so much that its incurable by adjusting the dizzy. :)

DamirGTI

DamirGTI
  • Pitcrew
  • 2,742 posts
  • Name:Damir
Yes but , to be more precise , not by simply turning the dizzy like when you wish to advance or retard the timing :D you'll need to change the dizzy springs for stiffer ones and re-tense them in order to change the actual dizzy advance curve/settings , afterwards you need to do basics - adjust the dizzy by turning it in either direction to set up the best timing angle .. and unplug the pipe from the vacuum advance capsule

I've tried to run my 11.1 CR engine first on std. unmodified 1.9 dizzy but i had to retard the timing so much because of severe detonations/pinking low down and on this settings with the std. 1.9 dizzy the engine didn't want to go much faster than when was standard :) afterwards i fitted re-curved dizzy , adjusted the timing (by ear , on the road , unplugged the vacuum capsule pipe started advancing little at a time with test drive in between the settings until the engine started to detonate/pink low down in 4-th 5-th , backed off a little bit and fixed the dizzy on this position ..) and it was OMG :( an huge increase in power/torque and country lanes blur past much faster than before , been spinning around all day long like a clown on ecstasy :D

Anyway no need to bother yourself with this dizzy spring adjusting stuff , these lads will sort that job for you (for 20.00 quid) : http://www.h-h-ignit...olutions.co.uk/
..afterwards , as said , you'll just need to do basics pick desired fuel type/octane rating which you'll be using and adjust the timing angle ..

Damir :o

Edited by DamirGTI, 25 December 2008 - 02:48 PM.