• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

welshpug

[car_overhaul] Zx 16V Project Pt2, Re-Shell And Power Upgrades....

welshpug

Erm, read the posts/look at pics :huh::lol: donor came pretty much bare other than ft seats and main dash structure, no rear interior or seatbelts at all.

Its a road car, so full interior with high quality light weight soundproofing if i can find the cash, o.e stuff is dead! But its mightily expensive.

I also value my hearing, so exhaust will not be loud, induction bark is all i need ;)

S@m

Nice to see the completely forgotten ZX get some love for a change - Even though i have had my 306 for almost 10 years now, i always wanted a ZX 16v; just seemed like the most performance orientated car based on the 306(well, zx came first!) platform to me.

I look forward to seeing this progress!

Sam

MiniGibbo

Yeah i saw the car came with nothing but just wondered what you planned as i guessed you had some sort of interior from your old one but have never seen a progress thread for it.

welshpug

Indeed the ZX came first on this platform, had the 2.0 RFY engine before the 405 got it even :D

There's lots of small touches on the zx that never made it to the 306 and some of it is very Citroen I think, like the single electric mirror for the passenger side, the rear sunblind that rolls down into the parcel shelf, some models even had a sliding rear bench seat, rear washer jet at the top of the rear screen (had to wait till phase3 for Peugeot to see sense here!)

The wheel brace is clipped to the side of the boot, but the jack in a nice box clipped to the spare wheel carrier.

The clutch cable has steel wire guides bolted to each corner of the subframe, the bosses are there on the 306 but not used!

Yeah i saw the car came with nothing but just wondered what you planned as i guessed you had some sort of interior from your old one but have never seen a progress thread for it.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=132292&hl=&fromsearch=1

S@m

I believe it was also the first car to take the RFS engine (albeit in LHD only) - but i await your correction here. Single wiper is very citroen aswell. Still, its second on my list of 16v citroens i want to own - jsut after the BX 16v.

Sam

Edited by Sam306

welshpug

Didn't do anything Monday night after work, faffed about for an hour last night, front bumper was half off as can be seen in previous pics, but as usual the cage nut things were seized across the bottom lip, so had to take the angle grinder up.

Whilst I was fiddling at the front I took the slam panel off and unplugged the engine loom and drained the PAS res, wont take long at all now to get it out as there's no exhaust or coolant pipes left, just shafts and 3 bolts!!

7933143296_9cfd358a9f_z.jpg

Also swapped the wheels that Adam had put on to move the car as it came without any, he'll need them back soon as they're his winter tyres for his 406 Bus, comedy size difference, 65 to 55 profile!!

7933152396_816f784d1b.jpg

Oh and 3 days on the carpet is still hanging up in the house still damp in places! so interior progress is a bit slow still, but hope to get to a scrappy later on today and get some sound deadening as I don't work on Wednesday :D

• Like 1

BERTMAN

I also quite like these 16v's. Nice to see one being saved! (even if you did kill one :P) Keep up the good work mate

edit: to add mock

Mock:

mock/mäk/

Verb: Tease or laugh at in a scornful or contemptuous manner. Adjective: Not authentic or real, but without the intention to deceive. Noun: An object of derision.

Edited by BERTMAN

dcc

Waste of time!

He will only end up putting it into a wall or something again :P

Although he is going to rebuild his rear beam this time... :D

• Like 1

welshpug

yawn, have you finished that 205 yet? :P

Carpet finally dry, so dysoned it.

7950441194_5535d5cf1b.jpg

Popped down the sound deadening I alleviated from a ZX in Harry bucklands on Wednesday.

7951157766_d94f3314a1.jpg

Carpet in

7951617390_6ced6a3ab7.jpg

Fitted my shiny heater matrix into the heater box.

7951805780_7979bafcb5.jpg

Then fitted heater box in the car, this one is so much easier than the 306 as there's a plastic plate and a foam gasket that sits over the pipes, then the pipes poke through the bulkhead and another rubber gasket and a steel plate is screwed down on the top, no faffing and cursing for ages trying to squeeze the grommit in place!

Two nuts on studs with fibre washers on the engine side of the bulkhead and a bolt to a bracket on the exhaust tunnel and that's it, wiring sits in a channel and screwed onto a few tabs across the top.

7951822842_99b6480414_z.jpg

underside of the dash (which weighs bugger all) steel parts on the left are for the fuse box drivers side air ducting and general stiffness, on the right side is for the glovebox with an additional piece across the bottom, couple of in built ducts in the middle and brackets for the heater controls.

7951837270_0e24f285e1_z.jpg

All done for the evening, no bad for 2 hours work :D

7951842906_50cf2bc67a_z.jpg

one of the other bits I got from the scrapyard was a two speed relayed fan control loom from a 1.9 N-A diesel ZX, as standard the 16v has a single speed single fan, the diesel has a single two speed fan as well but in a double cowling, the TD uses twin fans, a nicely self contained loom, I've used one of these on my 205 now, plugged straight in, just needed to splice in the fan connector :)

7951623830_56c336fa6a_z.jpg

black lad

Such an under rated car had one yrs ago and loved it, lookin forward to seening it finished.

welshpug

Spent most of the day yesterday at Castle Come watching now not to go around a track fast :lol

My mate Richard (spannerman) has said that I should get the interior done first, then body then mechanicals afterwards, that way nothing will be left when it finally gets on the road.

After taking the front interior apart in fairly swift time, I thought I'd crack on with the rear and get that swapped over today, or at least it all removed ready, crikey what a difference, there's so many bloody screws its not surprising it feels so much different to a 306, took me an hour and a half to get all the trim off, seats were already out!

The bag on the light cluster is half full of all the screws that hold everything down from the B-pillars back.

7961657494_28d2a94105_z.jpg

A big box of trim panels! Going to grab some autoglym engine and machine cleaner and go over the plastics.

7961767384_9006320107_z.jpg

This little piece that sits under the rear seats you don't get on lower spec ZX's.

7961790266_7699b1e169_z.jpg

More coffee and time for F1...

welshpug

F1 done, got some Autoglym engine&machine cleaner and washed the interior plastics, then had a look at how to get the sunroof cover off, as its broken on the donor, looked to be easier to take the roof lining down to do this so remove all 4 grab handles, roof lining is only stuck across the very rear edge with a tiny bead of sealant type stuff, the rest is velcro'd in place!

Only comes out through the boot if you want to keep it in one piece, then I had a look up at the mechanism, AHA!!! that'll be why you don't see any ZX's with rusty roofs like you do 306's, clever buggers at Citroen used a plastic frame and bolted it :D not like Peugeot that spot welded the sunroof frame up....

7963161060_30a1374d22_z.jpg

Miles

Just get a AC'd 306, never have problems with a rusty roof then :lol: and you don't get the horrid/messy Citroen wiring looms

But you can see why they never made any money, Floor pans basically the same so why not make more bits interchangeable, Same goes for the Xsara

welshpug

tbh most of it is compatible, heater box is the same, steering column and switches, but everything body wise indeed quite different, I think the front seat frames are the same.

sod all progress the last week as my mate Rich is having some building work done, and they found how the garage was getting its electrickery, the garage is across the lane with some armoured cable between two posts and into the shed at the end of his back yard, we found the cable simply goes into a junction box as you'd find for a lighting circuit :blink: then carries on to the house another 30 feet or so in some standard 2.5mm2 cable spurred off a socket next to the boiler!! :wacko:

given the roof is off the shed and the wiring exposed Rich doesn't want to leave the power on whilst he's not there in case it trips, he'll have a defrosted freezer and dead fishies!

Dan (DCC) popped up yesterday to have a fudged locking wheelbolt sorted on his C2, and dropped these off :ph34r:

7988634345_59a26a2085.jpg

welshpug

A bit more progress finally!

Rich managed to get the wiring sorted so its safe again, and I sorted the Strut swap to complete his PAS conversion on his 1.5 diesel 106 runabout as he's injured his arm, then after a very late lunch did some work in the garage.

Continuing with the bodywork+interior, unplugged the tailgate which is a doddle as the wiring just sits under the seal and goes into the car through decent sized holes behind the rear light clusters.

8003770086_b7cf9e6206.jpg

Pop the struts off, Knock/pull the hinge pins out as an able assistant (my brother Osian) holds on to the tailgate.

8003790650_ae06ba3fec.jpg

Pulled down the headlining,

8003807622_3c6ff06eef_z.jpg

undid two plugs and 8 nuts, and out the sunroof mechanism came.

8003808954_32d9e89c5c_z.jpg

Naughty thoughts of leaving the bugger off :lol::ph34r:

8003825844_2f46935dd9.jpg

8003830478_3669ca388a_z.jpg

Undid the 4 13mm bolts in the boot for the bumper, cut off the two 10mm's underneath, caged nuts, say no more! A good yank and off it came.

8003803414_78a7ab8aa3_z.jpg

Gave this a little prod, and it fell off :lol:

8003790715_4a14f0c513.jpg

And that's it for this evening :)

kyepan

The shell looks amazingly solid

welshpug

Its not bad, though the rear ends of the sills to have holes, I have a decent pair of sills on the old black car to cut bits out of :)

welshpug

Got my brother to give me a hand fitting the sunroof mechanism and vacuum a few bits.

8035583770_c3e25f8b6b_z.jpg

Stuck the strengthening piece back down onto the headlining, then lifted it up into place.

8035656294_a6fe2f33aa.jpg8035655654_05b660188a.jpg

Went to remove the seatbelt clasps that sit under the seat seat.

8035654808_95a3974649.jpg

OH COCK.

so I just carried on with fitting the rest of the trim, dozens of different bloody screw types! nightmare trying to remember where they all go :wacko:

8035650600_e2f99c8879.jpg

got it all done, fitted rear light clusters, then popped the parcel shelf in, cool rear sunblind integrated into it.

8035649832_da78c32069.jpg

Dropped the rear seat back in, simply drops into two brackets welded on either side, has a bar running across the bottom of the seat.

8035649092_3815dfecd3.jpg

that was yesterday...

welshpug

Today, finished assembling the dash and fitted the passenger seat.

8035646966_22eedd129a_z.jpg

Had a quick peek underneath, the bottom of the seatbelt bolts are visible, hence why they are rusty and seized :angry:

will have a go at drilling and tapping, but if all else fails they are the same thread as a standard harness backplate, 7/16 UNF x 20TPI.

8035647757_4b6a3cd52a.jpg

All the brakelines underneath look rotty as hell, this one is actually damp!

8035646077_c36fac2e02.jpg

I did re-pipe the old black car some 18 months ago from the base of the buklhead back, so should be able to salvage them.

Pushed it all the way back in the garage, then jacked the front up, will tinker along a bit more later.

8035644565_a449f34f4f.jpg

welshpug

It's a bit crusty up front, thankfully not the body, 16mm socket just slipped straight around the balljoint pinch bolt :blink:

8035859859_ee68b635ca_z.jpg

not to worry, as the stuff on the other car was painted when I had it apart last time.

MiniGibbo

Great progress on the interior..!

A stud extractor and some plus gas should see the snapped belt bolt out.. Same with the hubs bolts.

You using the hubs off your old donar or refurbing these.?

welshpug

not to worry, as the stuff on the other car was painted when I had it apart last time.

DERP :P

welshpug

Today's progress:

Seeing as I wont be using this lot and it was looking to want to put up a fight, I did it the easy way, 4 bolts two nuts each side, chop the brake lines as they looked grotty as hell and unplug the ABS Leads.

8038794720_3c767ca6c4.jpg8039462137_439f4554b9.jpg

Removed the alternator and unbolted the AUX bracket from the block, remove the two nuts from the hard pipe bracket on the bellhousing.

8039464105_87148ef67f.jpg

Drained the oil and whipped the shafts out, history of the engine is unknown, other than the shell has 120k on it, I think its safe to assume the HG had gone!

8039469830_ea919e648a.jpg

welshpug

Sling a Towrope around the engine+box, take up the slack with the trusty manual engine crane, remove the last nut from the transmission end...

8039913151_23fdcfe304_z.jpg

Jack the car up slightly, remove axle stands, and drop the car down.

8039917176_a629833c30_z.jpg

SO much easier than trying to wind that crane up and down!

Pull the engine out and push the car back into the garage on the jack.

8039899642_16289a373b_z.jpg

One emptier engine bay.

8039915164_0d4d42100f_z.jpg

Going to extend these cables and relocate them across the top of the bulkhead, as they run across the bulkhead stiffener along with the 3 brake pipes, having seen how hot the RFS exhaust manifold gets when I was down at Alvin Powells with Dan and Sandy for Mapping in his 205,and having the wiring loom grommet melt and smoke away, I think it'll be a wise move to replicate the 306 here!

8039618741_c9ed6aa7d2.jpg

8040028072_1f2c510865_z.jpg