• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Oakley

Carpet And Dash Colouring

Oakley

Hey all,

Will be stripping the interior of my 5 door 205.. It has a terrible blue carpet which clashes with my red and black seats :D

Will it be possible to dye the blue carpet red?? And is there anything i can do to blacken the grey dash? its the rubbery plastic and looks awful IMO :D

Cheers.

Edited by Oakley

MerlinGTI

dying a blue carpet red just isnt going to happen I dont think, you would probally end up with a purple carpet! :D You might be able to go black or dark grey though, I know there are rattle can carpet dye's (folatec do one IIRC) but Ive heard they make the carpet very stiff. Best bet would be to pop up the brakers and get a black or grey base model carpet ( I dont think they did a red 5 door carpet?)

There are definatly spray paints avaible to paint a dash, again I know folatec do one. Just make sure you go hardcore with the degreasing and prep first :D

Edited by MerlinGTI

Oakley

Cheers Merlin,

Yeahh thinking about the carpet, i don't think it will go red either :) , so have chosen to go black, along with the door cards..

Will have a look into that spray you mentioned for the dash, and might nip down to the scrappy to see if they have any 205's in yet :D

How do i go about spraying the dash then? Just prep well and spray on? No priming or laquering? Rather like the bumper spray?

Thanks again :D

MerlinGTI

I used it once on an old cavileer I had, it worked well, didnt flake off etc..

I dont think It needed a primer but I really cant remember tbh. It was the folatec stuff (you can get it in halfrauds but buy online it will be much cheaper!) and instructions were on the tin reguarding primers and prep work.

For prep get some of those green scouring pads from sainsburys and some panel wipe from an automotive paint suppliers. Once done panel wipe and soft cloth it. This is really important as interior plastics are always caked in armourall/black to black type products with will reak havok with paints (reactions, flaking off etc...)

Oakley

Tar mate..

Going to the scrappy today to see if i can dig out a black carpet and some decent door cards (possibly seats too if there better than mine :blush: )

Will get some pics up when i start to strip it out and spray the dash and inside plastics

Cheers for your help :blush:

dirtdog

Dye the carpet black. You can dye the seats also if you really want, although they are still going to look like ironing boards unless you get some GTi style seats. I'm not 100% sure but you might be able to get 106/206/306 seats to fit with a little fiddling about.

Dashboard...why don't you get it flocked? I think Miles offers that service and the finish would be a whole lot better than with a spray can. All the hard plastic bits(not the rubbery stuff) can easily be sprayed with a can to a good finish (Make sure you use a decent plastic primer though)

Oakley

Dirtdog, Thanks for your reply, How would i go out about dyeing the carpet with a good finish that wont rub off? :blush:

steve@cornwall
Dirtdog, Thanks for your reply, How would i go out about dyeing the carpet with a good finish that wont rub off? :blush:

This has come up a few times and the general opinion is that as the carpets are actually made from a plastic material, dyeing won't work. As far as I know, nobody's tried it yet, though. It's not a difficult job to change the entire carpet though

Oakley

Yeahh i thought that, Going down the scrappy during the week when the weather eases up, so will look out for a black carpet when im down there...

Thanks again guys. :blush:

Sign in to follow this