• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris adams

205 Quick Rack Into 405 Sterring Housing

rodionski

i think that your last comment explains what i meant by quasi change.

what i meant was that due to introducing another set of gears in the steering you get less feedback from the wheels, the less direct the steering will become.

it will be almost like you will feel for the most part only the gearing in that quickener, and the actual gearing in the rack you will feel so much less due to power steering.

again, probably not an issue for those americans who have little respect, need or idea about steering feedback and car handling. but for our trackday and racing purposes, loss of steering feel and feedback will mean trouble, or loss of pleasure from the process of driving at least.

i might be totally wrong here, but that's my thinking anyway.

calvinhorse

no i think you rite! the more i think about it the less i like it! the quickener i mean not you being rite! :D

cammmy

I'll register tentative interest in a quick rack.

chris adams
There's no point in using a manual rack so quick as to 2.6 turns - you will never be able to turn it when parking, you'll break your arms)))

That is exactly why the manual rack has over 4 turns.

What we should pursue is a quick rack for PAS, e.g. the spline drive one.

As regards the little gismo for quicker steering - that's an interesting idea in fact. the ratio is changed but not as a "true" ratio, as a quasi change instead.

arm breaking ? surley it will not be that bad its only .2 turns less than the 205 kit, if they will make it that way.but still im not happy with the pas system neva liked it n neva will even with less turns. theres a lot more feel 2 be had with a manual rack.

rodionski

It's quite easy to imagine how the steering will feel if you order a manual rack with 2.5 turns. Just try turning the steering wheel with the engine not running.

And then multiply it by about 2 times. You will get the feel of how parking will be.

Also, multiply that by the fatter tires you will be using.

You get the idea.

And don't forget that the 405 is a fair bit heavier on the front than the 205.

rodionski

I know first hand, I had to drive around town to the shop with a blown PAS pump. It's a disgrace!

welshpug

thats very different.

my ZX weighs about the same as a 405 Mi16, and has a 2.4 turn lock to lock steering rack and is perfectly fine.

rodionski
thats very different.

my ZX weighs about the same as a 405 Mi16, and has a 2.4 turn lock to lock steering rack and is perfectly fine.

is that with PAS? ;)

chris adams
It's quite easy to imagine how the steering will feel if you order a manual rack with 2.5 turns. Just try turning the steering wheel with the engine not running.

And then multiply it by about 2 times. You will get the feel of how parking will be.

Also, multiply that by the fatter tires you will be using.

You get the idea.

And don't forget that the 405 is a fair bit heavier on the front than the 205.

my old man has 1 off the old telephone cable trucks that has no pas. once your movin theres no hardship in turning it so i dont believe the 405 will be any harder, my mums suzuki cj is non pas and once on the move i can turn that without gripping the wheel.i think the twice as hard comment is over exagerated some what.

chris adams

what about the 205 rack what are the fitments like compared to the 405 surely they must be similar

welshpug

nope, very different, pretty much identical to the 309 zx 306 xsara racks.

rodionski
what about the 205 rack what are the fitments like compared to the 405 surely they must be similar

nope. not even close. been there, tried that)

calvinhorse

are all power steering racks the same?

i have a 1.6 glx rack or a le'mons rack ready to go to quaiffe

rodionski
are all power steering racks the same?

i have a 1.6 glx rack or a le'mons rack ready to go to quaiffe

AFAIK they are all the same, save for the T16 rack and the racks for Japan. How they differ I don't know.

calvinhorse

The pinion gear on the steering colum is a spiral type thing looks seriously tricky to make, are all racks like that?

rodionski
The pinion gear on the steering colum is a spiral type thing looks seriously tricky to make, are all racks like that?

Yes, all PAS racks have that type of pinion gear.

I guess this could be converted into a straight cut gear, but it would take a serious modification of the rack - the rack gear would have to be adjusted to fit the straight cut pinion, and i am not sure it is at all possible.

chris adams

so is the manual rack the same same ?

Edited by mi8 turbo

rodionski

I don't know as I've not seen the manual rack disassembled.

Worth checking what that "square drive" means in terms of the pinion.

chris adams

square drive is just the connection to the lower steering arm union joint but will av a look at mine once av ad me subframe/enginebay seam welded

Edited by mi8 turbo

rodionski

Oh yes, you're right - my brain just disconnected for a moment.

Here's what i was referring to as the straight cut rack and pinion

rack_n_pinion.jpg

Now, in order to have the rack in the same position and the pinion at an angle - as done in the stock rack, the pinion must have angled teeth, so does the rack

Rack-Pinion.jpg

chris adams

why do they put the teeth on an angle ?

Edited by mi8 turbo

rodionski

In order to achieve good contact between the rack and pinion, since the pinion is probably about 45 degrees to the face of the rack.

WA405
probably not an issue for those americans who have little respect, need or idea about steering feedback and car handling.

There are a few Americans that have an idea about steering feedback and handling......keeping my 405 alive in the USA is my attempt to retain a "reference" of a decent handling car with good feedback. :P

Does anyone know what the steering ratio is for the different racks? For example "15:1".

Sign in to follow this