• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

[body_work] Best Get The Welder Out Then

M@tt

right well I've been making some slow progress

chopping out the rot, cleaning up the surrounding area and making replacement panels

PICT1988.jpg

PICT1987.jpg

PICT1991.jpg

PICT1989.jpg

then before welding in any replacement sections i had a practice to get the welder settings right

PICT1984.jpg

however in reality some of the metal was quite a bit thinner where it had been ground away so it blew through, so I'm going to make myself a copper heatsink/backer tomorrow to help finish it off. It'll all be fine once I've flicked the flap wheel over it :)

PICT1992.jpg

Edited by M@tt

M@tt

bit more progress..

new corner section panel made

PICT1993.jpg

trial fitted

PICT1995.jpg

welded in

PICT2000.jpg

acid etch primer on the inside

PICT2003.jpg

coat of kurust on the outside

PICT2004.jpg

Edited by M@tt

Cameron

I like the way 205 repairs are starting to go, people spending a lot more time and care taking everything right back to good metal then building it back up to look original. :)

Looks like you're doing a good job there!

Henry Yorke

I see wood in that last pic M@tt....

harryskid

Well known fact wood don't rust ! ;)

Rippthrough

He just got a bit over excited at his handiwork :ph34r:

• Like 1

M@tt

still plodding on with it, unfortunately work and family have been getting in the way so progress has been slow.

been fitting one of the replacement sections

82ca75a6.jpg

f7e98b84.jpg

as i mentioned in a previous post i made a copper heatsink which helps if you get any blowthroughs as you can hold it behind the hole and fill in the gaps as the weld doesn't stick to the copper

ac35cf31.jpg

I also "pimped" my mig torch with a poundland LED torch. As I'm generally weding in the evening inside the garage i was finding it too dark to see properly before the arc strikes up and even with an inspection lamp strategically placed i was forever casting a shadow right on the area i wanted to see. So i made this litte beauty :) works a treat!!

4d90483a.jpg

Hopefully i should make some good headway over the next couple of weeks

• Like 1

M@tt

been plodding on, getting there, slowly!

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

M@tt

managed to get a few hours in this week

sanded back and filled some of the rusts bebbling behind the rear arch trim

IMG_0157.jpg

tidying up of the inside of the wheel arch, plan is to strip it all bare and re-stone chip it

IMG_0158.jpg

made a few more bits using CAD (Cardboard Aided Design)

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

M@tt

managed another hour or so tonight, finished making the last replacement panel. I welded the 3 sections together and gave it a tickle with the flap wheel on the grinder

0645f4e6.jpg

next step is get some epoxy 2 pack primer on the inside of the sill

Edited by M@tt

M@tt

managed another hour or 2 tonight so got the replacement panel plug welded up just need a going round with some seam sealer

cb6e7478.jpg

more soon....

M@tt

well i've manged to make a good bit of progress

I epoxy primed the inner sill and the inside of the outer sill using some Lehler Epoxy Primer. I got it from www.metalflake.co.uk(http://www.metalflak...s.php?id=L29107) however the only problem is it doesn't come tinted so it goes on transparent which made it a bit hard to see what had or hdn't been covered.

21adb751.jpg

So i took it to my local paint place and they tinted the remainder of it for me for a couple of quid.

Once the primer had cured i could plug weld the sill on

IMG_0251.jpg

and a thin skim of filler over the join between the new and old panel

IMG_0268.jpg

I also seam sealed up the joins. This will get epoxied over and stonechipped as well

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

There was a small section of the wheel arch which had rotted through, so i made a new section

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

I also took the opportunity to remove the chipping paint from the inside of the wheel arch as well. I'll re do this as well when i get round to painting it.

IMG_0275.jpg

So thats it for now... the end is almost in sight!

GilesW

Got to do almost the exact same places on mine - except for the outer cull, which weirdly is fine.

Out of interest what thickness metal did you use in the various places? 1mm or .8mm or something else?

Rippthrough

You need to get your tacks a lot closer together Matt, should be half overlapping the previous tack even when triggering on thin metal, should look more like this:

SAM_0568-1.jpg

Sorry about small pic, only thing I had handy.

M@tt

GilesW> i think it was 1mm i'll double check tonight and let you know. It's Zintec sheet, i got mine a sheet of it from my local motor factors for about £11 i think.

GilesW

Cool. Thanks Matt.

Cameron

Also a good idea to take the zinc coating off the area you're trying to weld, it will weld a lot nicer and also not make you insane.

• Like 1

DamirGTI

You need to get your tacks a lot closer together Matt, should be half overlapping the previous tack

... ditto , couldn't not to spot , the welds are a bit separated .. so you'll end up with bad penetration/cold welds .

If you're scared of panel warpage , burning trough etc. , a good trick to avoid this issue especially while welding on a long flat panel of sheet metal - use an air compressor gun/blower and cool the weld/panel with air when you stop welding between the runs :) ..

.. my pile of iron oxide fixing :

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=97351&st=60

Anyway , keep up , i like bodywork projects B)

Damir

M@tt

spent some time cleaning up the wheel arch ready for it all to be resprayed and stonechipped. After experimenting with various stripping methods, the twisted knot brush on an angle grinder is loads quicker than a heat gun and scraper by a mile!!

IMG_0282.jpg

whilst cleaning it up i could see the rear bumper bracket section was in a pretty bad state

IMG_0286.jpg

so bit the bullet and ripped it out :)

IMG_0289.jpg

it was pretty crusty

IMG_0290.jpg

so I've created a cardboard template, and test fitted it and now I'm happy with it I'll make a new replacement panel from steel

IMG_0293.jpg

• Like 1

M@tt

small update

new replacement panel made and welded in. I also replaced the bottom lip of the 3/4 panel as that was pretty shot as well

423568e8.jpg

allye

You sir have skills to pay the bills :lol: amazing work.

M@tt

bit more of an update

finally managed to get some epoxy primer on part of the sill but there's a bit more tidying up to do. I've also tackled the rot on the inner wing, by splitting the spot welds and sanding the surfaces and treating to kurust

9e65f1a0.jpg

9f657645.jpg

6c0a177d.jpg

ca7d4a92.jpg

82915ea7.jpg

28633684.jpg

3787a545.jpg

1b5409ff.jpg

• Like 1

M@tt

Cheers Dave

Its just taking an age as i keep picking at bits which just takes longer and longer to sort, but i might as well do them now whilst everything is getting done

Alan_M

How did you get the bead of sealer out between the lower rear quarter and the sill?

My 205 has surface rust down here, that's penetrated the inside of the quarter panel. Heat gun and scrapper?