• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sonofsam

Best Material For Heat Shield.

sonofsam

Hi,

Going to be moving my ECU over by the battery soon, wich means I can relocate my air filter to behind the

drivers side headlight. ( I cant afford twin headlights:( Is it worth making a heat shield for it, if so wich material is best?

Or is it best to make an Airbox ( did search this, but was mainly carb stuff ) like the set up on the original car , either way it can be fed cold air from the lower valance :D

Sam.

Gtiracer

well, encasing the air filter and using an air duct from the lower valance would probably be more effective than a heat sheild IMO but will cost you a bit more

Higgy

If you want to keep heat away from the ECU, then a polished (outer surface) stainless shield would be better than aluminium.

It has a much lower thermal conductivity than aluminium, and the polished surface will reflect heat away. You could paint the side facing the ECU black to absorb heat given off from the ECU (maybe too an*l!).

I'm not sure how hot an ECU gets, but I guess heat from the engine is the biggest factor.

Well thats what my brain is telling me :D

Higgy.

Rippthrough

Polished stainless, or, if your like me, cooking foil. :D

-Phillip

sonofsam

Cool, thanks for the help and replies.

Im quite lucky in the respect that i can get hold of .9 gauge mirror shined ST/ST ( same stuff you see @ the fairground for those wobbly mirrors lol )

So if used that shiny stuff and fabricted an Airbox, painted black on the inside with a cold air feed, i'd be onto a winer?:D

Arh, wondered why I'd seen foil in peoples engine bays.

ECU should be ok in a ( black ) plastic box :D

Daxed

Planning on using fibreglass for mine

sonofsam

Now got a nice bit of space to play with :D

DVC01512opt.jpg

So, do I

A) Cram big ITG filter in that space and leave no room for breathing. + heat shield.

:P Make smaller 'trumpet' intake with sock filter. + Box.

C) Box it off entirely and use panel filter.

D) something completely different lol

Think Im going to struggle getting a cold air feed up it, from the nearest point ( driving light hole ) as their are lots of pipes and schizel in the way, unless i go through the wing. ;)

Edited by sonofsam

mfield

Ali does conduct heat well but does it not cool quick aswell ?

The engine bay temps drop fast when on the move but how fast will the temp of s/s drop ? or will it even get hot enough to care about ?

bales

I have got a couple of books over christmas, forced induction performance tuning and 4 stroke performance tuning which are both very very good actually.

I would say go for A with a big filter and with a decent feed if you can get it to it, also putting a bellmouth on the filter entrance into the tubing is supposed to be a good thing.

The filter isn't really in an area of hot air either with it being right at the front of the engine bay, as long as it doesn't draw hot air off the radiator.

I think you need to whack up the boost personally and stick on a bigger turbo :P

From what I have been reading aslong as the air going in is not hot or is blatantly in a poor pickup then the biggest gains are to be had from all the flow restrictions within the inlet tubing and intercooler placement, I have changed my mind about the whole theory about bigger intercoolers being bad for lag and you should fit as smaller one as you can get away with, supposedly this is a bit of a misnomer and not as big a problem as people think - according to my book.

So in my case I am going to fit a HUUUGE intercooler off a Scania arctic :) (or maybe not)

inferno

I dont think you should worry too much about the cold air feed, obviously a filter directly on the turbo housing isnt recomended due to heatsoak in that area. but id go with a decent intercooler, maybe consider water misting or nos to lower intake temps? my turboed ZX had holes around the point your airfilter now sits, so i had a cold feed anyway.

christopher
I have got a couple of books over christmas, forced induction performance tuning and 4 stroke performance tuning which are both very very good actually.

Bales I have the first edition. from 1981. Is this one updated to used modern enegines? (Mine is all about ford anglia/a series Carburretors etc)

bales
Bales I have the first edition. from 1981. Is this one updated to used modern enegines? (Mine is all about ford anglia/a series Carburretors etc)

They are both the updated versions, they have all the same theory and also some of the older engines but also it has been updtaed with more modern engines too (from 2000+), so best of both worlds really.

I would really recommend both books as they are really thorough and go into a lot of depth with equations which being a bit of a geek (and supposedly a mechanical engineer) I like to know how things work right down to the first principles.

Its great at the moment as I have done loads of calculations for my turbo engine and I am really starting to understand how everything fits together as a system and not just a number of different components that you bolt on.

sonofsam

Throw those book's away, this is Turbo'ing remember :lol::P

Now running .7 Bar ;)

managed to cram the big ITG filter in there :D Runs alot better, or is that cause I turned up the Boost :unsure:

bales

What happened to the second installment of your video?, I am still eagerly awaiting that with baited breath :unsure:

sonofsam
I dont think you should worry too much about the cold air feed, obviously a filter directly on the turbo housing isnt recomended due to heatsoak in that area. but id go with a decent intercooler, maybe consider water misting or nos to lower intake temps? my turboed ZX had holes around the point your airfilter now sits, so i had a cold feed anyway.

Yeah I dont think the feed is going to get past the alt. or the heat exchanger! Think its getting a small amount or airflow over the top of the headlight inbetween the bonnet. May have one blowing cold air over the engine and speak to Coollouvres about some vents front and back.

Water misting would be nice, especailly when the T3 goes on :lol:

Bales: You'll have to wait a bit longer, going to get the crew involved for this one, got a cunning plan to mount the camera to the bonnet via taking out one of the window washer jets :unsure:

Sign in to follow this