• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
VisaGTi16v

Xu10j4rs Adjustable Pulleys As Standard?

VisaGTi16v

Hi, I just found a thread on a Xsara VTS forum where a couple of members are showing photos of the standard cam pulleys on the engines and explaining how you can rotate the camshafts to adjust the timing and seeing healthy performance gains. None of them have produced rolling road reports and I have very little knowledge of cam timing and all that. Could someone please take a look and see if what they are saying sounds plausible. Presumably it would bugger the emissions although they claim to have retained good idle with a 15bhp and 15ft/lb gain?

I have not read about this anywhere else and it sounds to good to be true hence my sceptism. The thread can be found here http://www.xsarasportsclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4680 If you need to be a member to view it let me know and I will paste it in here.

cheers

Darren

Xsara VTS

Visa GTi Mi16

welshpug

I get the gist, but I hadnt heard of it before.

without seeing a pulley off the cam I wouldnt say for definite though, as I thought all Petrol XU's has the cam on a woodruff key?

though its not out of the question though, cant remember offhand for the XUD, but on the VW diesel engines the cam pulley doesnt have a key and you lock the cam with a tool in the opposite end.

taylorspug

I presume they are much the same as the DW8 pulleys as found on the Berlingo/Peugeot Partner diesel engines. These are vernier pulleys as standard, and cost around £100 for a complete set of two from Peugeot.

Cheap way of getting verniers, although they dont have any markings on them in order to adjust them properly, or the hole locator type design as seen on Catcams pulleys. :o

smighall

GTI6/Xsara VTS engines do have vernier cam pulleys as standard.

VisaGTi16v

Interesting :o I see you have a pair of GTi6 engines. Have you tried adjusting the cams on yours if standard? If so, how much and what sort of gains if any did you get?

cheers

smighall

Haven't tried it, as i've only just read on here. I'm not going to try it on my current engine in my 306 as i'm looking for another engine to put in it, but might give it a go then.

huwjones

Aye, there are two types of pulleys to be had as well. Some look similar to traditional verniers, but most I've seen are different. To adjust the other type, you have to lock the pulleys in position, slacken off the main bolt in the centre of the pulley and then you can rotate the outer pulley. The bit where you slide the locking pin through is independent to the pulley itself (the pulley is in 2 parts).

Will be rebuilding the head again soon, so will try to take some pics.

VisaGTi16v

That seems to be the way they are doing it in my link above. Locking the main pulley, slackening off the main centre bolt then moving that tab with the hole in round upto + or - 12 degrees then tightening the bolt up again.

Sandy

There are indeed two types on the post 96 XU 16v's. The three bolt type and the tag type (which as mentioned above requires the cam centre bolt to be slackened and re-torqued. The 3 bolt ones are pretty chunky/heavy, I used the tag type ones on my 1.8 16v with GTi6 cams, setting the timing by lift at TDC, quite satisfactorily. I varied the timing quite a bit until it felt and sounded best! Very scientific. The revisions to the fuel map give some indication.

You can mill some width off these pulleys and use them on XU or TU 8v's too.

whizzer71

Hi all,I have now seen this post on the Xsara forum also,How plausible does it sound?,And also (excuse my ignorance Sandy 309) do you go about adjust the max lift at TDC when the valves should be fully shut at TDC on the compression stroke.

Im always up for easy Bhp gains but as we all know you never get something for nothing,Performance costs £'s !

Cheers

Tristan.

Sandy
And also (excuse my ignorance Sandy 309) do you go about adjust the max lift at TDC when the valves should be fully shut at TDC on the compression stroke.

You check the lift at TDC during the overlap period, before the exhaust valve has closed and when the inlet valve is opening.

huwjones

How plausible does what sound? The pulleys, or the power gains?

Power gains depend on how good Pug set the engines up at the factory. I know with the 306 Rallye, there's lots of inconsistencies with power outputs. This could be an answer, but not many peoeple have tried fettling with them becuase it normally ends up worse! ... And that goes for almost any tuning on these engines!

welshpug

I dont think there quite seeing it right, its not "Gaining" power, rather "restoring" lost power :lol:

like when people say they've "gained" 10 bhp by getting their dizzy reset/rebuilt, they havent at all, but they have "restored" the engine to its original factory specifications :unsure:

jonnie205

They are like vernier pullies yes and can be use din the same way but peugeot made them vernier to enable very accurate tensioning of the belt. The cam timing holes are still in place like an mi or 8v but the actual belt pulley can be rotated

Sandy

The cam timing is set up as much for idle and emissions as for the spread of torque. It's often possible to improve or move the torque spread by re-timing, or equally spoil it!

Garry

I have heard of this before, although I haven't tried it. Rob from X-Sport racing told me about it last year at the 'ring.

Sign in to follow this