• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

1.6 Rear Beam

Gaz

I have a 1.6 GTi rear beam sat in me front room but I need to know if either:

a- I can plumb in the drums to my existing system without too much stress or

b- I can swap the drums with my existing discs without too much stress

c- Can I just swap my existing buggered trailing arm for one off T3k's 1.9 beam without the torsion bar goin muhhhhh everywhere an without too much stress elsewhere :)

Any ideas?

Cheers

Gaz

Edited by Gaz

pug_ham

A: should work but might be to much power going to the rear drums & cause the rears to lock to easy.

B: yes, need to replace the stub axles with the ones from the 1.9 axle & the caliper bracket after removing the drum back plate.

C; Hopefully but it's a pug so... Might be best to do a beam refurb while you are at it, new seals & outer bearings etc if you choose this route.

Graham.:)

Gaz
A: should work but might be to much power going to the rear drums & cause the rears to lock to easy.

B: yes, need to replace the stub axles with the ones from the 1.9 axle & the caliper bracket after removing the drum back plate.

C; Hopefully but it's a pug so... Might be best to do a beam refurb while you are at it, new seals & outer bearings etc if you choose this route.

Cheers for that Graham.

Which one do we reckon is the best/cheapest/easiest method or in fact if I havent thought of something?

I just need to get the thing on and working.

Cheers

Gaz

Wurzel

If you can salvage the rear trailing arm stub pins from the knackered 1.9 arm, you could fit them to the 1.6 beam and have discs that way.

I'd have thought you could have transferred the torsion bar over as well. New pins are available for around £35 each though.

You'll need to swap the backing plates etc over which can be a pain as the bolts would have corroded.

As Graham said though, transferring trailing arms usually highlights the need for a refurb which can get expensive.

If someone can confirm that the 1.9 compensators work with the drums properly then that is going to be the cheapest route.

Gaz
If someone can confirm that the 1.9 compensators work with the drums properly then that is going to be the cheapest route.

Anyone?

Cheers

Gaz

pug_ham

IMO seeing as it is considered unwise to fit a 1.9 rear beam to a 1.6 without changing the brakepipes & m/c to a four hole item I can't see it working OK the other way. :D

How old is the 1.6 rear beam? You might be in for a surprise, mine all came apart easily when I stripped the arm's down but then again I have newer beams now that look in worse condition that that was. Taking the backplates off should be painless IMO as there is only a thread or two through the arm & you can get at them with a wire brush to scrub any rust off slightly before you undo them, plus they are bolts & not dumbass Torx bits. B) This would be the easiest route I think.

Sign in to follow this