• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
woodster

Which Coilovers?

woodster

i've got a 'G' reg 205 1.9 gti - Mi16. but i want to lower it on coilovers just ain't sure which one's to get. :)

Looked at koni cos they were good on my 309 back in the day :)

bedders

Ive got avo adjusable coilovers, done mine about 35mm and I think its a really good setup for road use, plus can lower for the track should the day come! which it will soon enough!!

bedders

£444 i think, but as with everything on my car, I got them cheap!

woodster

hairy muff!

Cheers mate :)

Sam

I had avo coilovers, just sold them to pugnut, nice ride when not wound all the way down, about 3/4 - 1/2 with the spring under tension as it should be was good, currently got bilstein group a forest spec coilovers and the ride height is about -30mm i'd say, not that low.

tidypug

i've got a set of AVO's as well, i've got them wound down as far i can without them rubbung the arches. They do give a good ride but i have found that if you have them on the softest setting they can bang over the bigger bumps

jonnie205

Avos are total and utter crap in every case. I have had some on a mates 306 and they leaked within 3 weeks, i had them on my old clio williams and they leaked within 2 months on both sides and the bodies bent. have also seen them on a 205 mi16 that i built, these were coilovers and i have never been so uncomfy, they are just too soft and they are constantly topping and bottoming out. Just cos they are coilovers does not mean they are good. On my williams i tooks them straight back to avo for another set and they bent just the same. People say they are good but that maybe because they have not used anything better. Pug shocks with lowering springs will be just as good. even better will be the koni kit howver the koni rear are too hard for road use. you want standard rears with koni shock and springs up front, that is an awsome setup in my experience

cybernck

FK coilovers are pretty good and not too expensive (about the same thing

as H&R but you don't pay extra for the "name").

Pugnut
Avos are total and utter crap in every case. I have had some on a mates 306 and they leaked within 3 weeks, i had them on my old clio williams and they leaked within 2 months on both sides and the bodies bent. have also seen them on a 205 mi16 that i built, these were coilovers and i have never been so uncomfy, they are just too soft and they are constantly topping and bottoming out. Just cos they are coilovers does not mean they are good. On my williams i tooks them straight back to avo for another set and they bent just the same. People say they are good but that maybe because they have not used anything better. Pug shocks with lowering springs will be just as good. even better will be the koni kit howver the koni rear are too hard for road use. you want standard rears with koni shock and springs up front, that is an awsome setup in my experience

all in your opinion obviously <_<

woodster

i had koni shocks and springs sll round on my old 309 <_< and it stuck like glue round every corner no matter how fast i went.

I'll get some koni then at the beginning of march!

Does anyone know the cheapest place to get some from? ;)

jonnie205

i got mine from rally design, seems to be the cheapest palce to buy parts anywhere in UK

raldes.co.uk or com cant remember

Adi
FK coilovers are pretty good and not too expensive (about the same thing

as H&R but you don't pay extra for the "name"). 

FK use Koni dampers and H&R use Bilstein dampers.

It may seem a daft question......but why do you want to lower the car on coilovers anyway????

I know they seem to be the next fashion item, so to speak......but apart from offering greater lowering than a normal damper/spring.......then the only real advantage is the quicker method of height adjustment......which is needed for changing surfaces. Also in motorsport......the suspension height needs to be fine tuned to get the corner weights even. Coilover are the only way of doing this.

The other benefit is the smaller diameter spring. There is far more choice of spring rates readily available for coilovers. On the std spring diameter.....there is not a lot of choice for spring rates. Again this won't really matter for normal road use.

So for a normal road car.....they really don't offer any advantage in performance.

Sign in to follow this