• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
richard

Std 1.9 Gets Moody When Its Damp

richard

i hope you guys can help me out here. As i need to have my car working due to some problems personally, involving lots of journeys to hospitals.

1.9 starts fine a couple of weeks ago, then goes sluggish...then revs just drops like a stone. And it cuts out. Leave it a while, whilst i wd40 the AFM plug and coil plug, put it back, car fires and i drive it home.

Clean up cap and rotor arm, clean up the earthing points again.

Car is running, i am happy.

Couple of weeks later, its been raining, and the car will not start...burst starts on the starter which is turning over very well...and i get a couple of 'puffs' as though there is an attempt to fire by an asthmatic 150year old. Thats it,

Tried again yesterday morning, turned over very well...and a couple of puffs like it is recieving some vapours. Then thats it, nothing.

Today, i have fully charged the battery up, reconnected it and started it up...after a second or so on the starter it fires first time, then dies.

try again, it starts then dies.

try again and its up...and running, hunting a bit before settling at around 1050rpm which is what it was set to before.

changed tachy relay for a known dodge one...starts and dies as i expect.

Ive looked at the fuel pump, the connections to the coil, the afm connection, the earthing points, and they all look ok...

reconnect the tachy relay fitted to the car, starts and idles, although it does start to hunt, numerous restarts and everytime it fies up.although sometimes it does need a tiny amount of throttle to kick it into life. (reading this...im thinking i need to re-adjust the throttle switch?)

Any suggestions would be appreciated, i have to wait i guess know until it rains again or there is exceptionally damp air. But some additional pointers would be good especially for when i need to have both cars working at the moment. And neither were yesterday! Both due to electrical probs.(1.6 spark plug broke down and arced to the engine block)

related to this topic...? http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=82605

Richie-Van-GTi

is it the 92 car in your sig? is it a lambda controlled version with later management as it could well be a lambda fault causing it to flood.

richard

its non cat......

no lambda sensor to worry about,

thanks.

DamirGTI

Hello !

I have similar problems with starting the engine from stone cold and in damp weather conditions , every time in the morning or when i left the car standing for 24 hours i need to crank the engine at least 5 times to make it start B) and finally when it starts it idles and drives just fine no cutting out , no misfiring no nothing - weird :lol: so far I've tried :

clean and check all earth wires

clean and check all positive wires

new battery

new leads

new rotor arm

new dizzy cap

new spark plugs

replace all the rubber fuel pipes

replace/fit spare fuel pump

new fuel pressure reg.

replace/fit spare SAD

new ECU temp. sensor

tried with different AFM set-up

etc. etc.

And today I've fit spare coil + ignition module and will see if that helps , if not i will blow my head off with the rusty shotgun cos I'm really running out of ideas and money :ph34r::)

Try with some spare ignition amplifier and coil :rolleyes: , cos if it's cutting out i could be the ignition amp. (or bad coil , AFM ...)

Best luck with chasing gremlins B)

Damir

luggy

Check the king lead from the the coil to the dizzy, coil side can corrode, use some sand paper or emery cloth to clean the male and female connections.

Roman

check ecu temp sensor i have similar problem but mine vork ok 10-20 day than one day from stone cold nothing...

i find broken sensor contact . Change sensor- :wacko: all prob disaper... :lol:

JayCC

i had this problem with my old 1.9, it turned out to be ignition module.

huwjones

How old are your HT leads? Sounds like knackered leads to me. Get it started on a damp night (if possible!) have a look under the bonnet and you may well see the leads arcing to the cam cover/any metal bit. The insulation breaks down because of the damp air, causing the electrical signal to earth before it reaches the spark plug.

Temporary fix is to drown them with WD40/silicone spray.

richard

Cheers all,

seems like it has been fixed.

replaced cap, rotor, ign amp and finally the leads.

Initially changing the cap, rotor and ign amp didnt make any difference.

Jackherer came round and it started straight away for him....(sometimes i think the car is starting to dislike me, and it is green)

today i finally fitted the leads and its back up and running.

So, the suspect is the lead from the coil to the dizzy cap

Sign in to follow this