• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Super Josh

Mi16 Crank/camshaft Locking Pins

Super Josh

When I used to have a trusty 8V it was a piece of p!ss to lock the Crank and Camshaft to change the timing bely, just use a 10mm drill bit :D

Looking in the Haynes for the Mi, some Monkey Brain has decided to use a cam locking tool of 8.43mm and 6.38mm Diameter ;)

What does everyone use for this? Can you buy a Draper or equivalent 3rd party tool?

What size do I need for the Crank Sprocket?

Josh

James_m

Downpipe bolts are perfect for the cam pulleys!

Cant remember what ive used for the crank pulley. Just a random bolt from what i remember.

Normski

I use drill bits, I can't remember if they are metric or imperial but they fit perfectly in the holes in the head. Then wrap some electrical tape around the drill bit at the correct point to build it's diameter so that it just fits in the hole through the cam pulley.

A bigger drill bit does for the bottom pulley.

welshpug

drill bits aren't ideal as they snap not bend....

I've got a kit that fits 8 valver's and diesels so I'd be interested to see if anyone has an appropriate 16v kit too.

welshpug

I think that this kit may be suitable?

ta440.jpeg

its a franklin kit for most later PSA egnines, TA440, about £50 though.

Tom Fenton

I machined some alloy pins to size to suit the cam pulleys, dead easy 10 min job on the lathe.

RonnieG

I use an 8mm drill to locate the crank as it's 'close as' a perfect fit...... I agree it's not as good as the tailor made pins but it works great for me.

Stu

^^^^ As above, i use a high tensile M8 bolt.

pug_ham

I've got a franklin kit that is especially for the Mi16 which I bought from someone on here a few years ago.

Saying that the crank pin isn't right but I always lock it with the flywheel lock for undoing the crank pulley bolt (22mm) & leave it in place anyway so it can't move after fitting the cam pins with the crank in the right place.

Graham.

welshpug

Graham would you be able to dig out the part number off that franklin kit you have? is it suitable for the later 16v's?

Sloppy
drill bits aren't ideal as they snap not bend....

I've got a kit that fits 8 valver's and diesels so I'd be interested to see if anyone has an appropriate 16v kit too.

to be fair high tensile is stronger so it less likely to snap, if something bent in a cam pulley it would be very difficult to remove.

I use high tensile star key to lock the crank as its damb stong, done ALOT of cambelts and never had any trouble with it.

You only really need kits on newer cars, i did a belt on a pd golf, they have literally gone out of there way to make the timing tools very unique so you really do have to buy a proper timing kit.

maxi

Downpipe bolts and a square metal section for locking the crank are what I have for the job.......

Maxi

B1ack_Mi16

I'm also using downpipe bolts.

The crank pulley I just usually put into position by visually looking at the pulley and the grooves to align them up.

Then just put the belt on and tension the rear tensioner first and then the front.

Can't see it beeing very critical with this locking really, and at least not discussing what strength steel you shall use.

It's not like you're supposed to use so much force on it that it will break anyway.

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

jackherer

IMO its best to have locking pins that will shear easily. The only time you will ever put any significant load on them is if you forget to take them out then turn the engine over. If that happens you really want them to snap, if they dont the belt will either snap or slip and then the valves get bent.

pug_ham
Graham would you be able to dig out the part number off that franklin kit you have? is it suitable for the later 16v's?

Unfortunately not, I had a good search before I posted that reply & couldn't find it listed anywhere, not even on the Franklin website. :)

All it consisted of is the two pins for the cam pulleys & a straight bar for the crank pulley (which doesn't even fit prioperly!!) so no idea if it could be used on teh later 16v engines.

Looking at all the its listed on the franklin site I don't think it can be.

I've got some alloy rod that I'm going to use to make a better crank pulley lock.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this