• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

Make-shift Head Bolt Spacer....

matty_gti

hi, i was about to finally fit my head on when i relised the spacer i had was no where new big enough at all and the only way i can keep the bolt head high enough without goin threw my water pump housing is by the several washers that are on it. The question is will it work and or last?????

Its a 1990 1.9 block (as far as im aware) with torx type bolts:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j218/mat...ti/DSC00348.jpg

ThAnKs

Richie-Van-GTi

its OK as a temporary solution. I might have a spare one kicking about if you want it posting down?

matty_gti

Yeah if you could thatd be very helpfull. The other bolts dont have any washers on them..is that ok?.

I didnt know that bolt needed to be sat so much higher above the head, i only thought it was 23mm (spacer), it looks like 75mm??.

Anthony

There should be one spacer (about 15mm or so IIRC) on each headbolt, and a second spacer (about 25mm or so IIRC) on the exhaust side bolt nearest the cambelt.

Are the bolts without spacers on bottoming out on the block?

matty_gti

Ok, the bolt that sits over the water pump housing has a 13mm spacer (the thick one) and then 20mm worth of washers sitting on top of it. the other 9 bolts currently have no washers and are ok, its just the one bolt..... :)

Edited by matty_gti

Richie-Van-GTi

Just checkked my wonder tub of spares, got 2 complete sets so can post you a complete set if you need them.

set is 10 x 7mm spacers and 1 x 21mm spacer

matty_gti
Just checkked my wonder tub of spares, got 2 complete sets so can post you a complete set if you need them.

set is 10 x 7mm spacers and 1 x 21mm spacer

Your a treasure!, yes ill deff have a set please. Ill PM you my addy.

Richie-Van-GTi

no problems, I'll chuck in an of extra normal spacer as mine seem thinner than your measurements to allow for any shortfall :D

matty_gti

"set is 10 x 7mm spacers and 1 x 21mm spacer"

Just wondering is that set correct?, because at the mo ive got a total of 33mm Hight btween bottom of bolt head to head surface and that just looks enough where as your set would be a total of 28mm...i dont think that will be enough????

Edited by matty_gti

Richie-Van-GTi

yeah I thought it strange, an extra 7 spacer should solve it but dont understand how you have such a high space? Is the bolt going right down to water pump? might be worth sliding a welding rod or something in to see how deep the hole is in comparison to the bolt.

Richie-Van-GTi

just checked, head bolt is 175 long, head takes up 100mm, block can take 60mm absolute max so you should only need 15 spacing in theory but as they are stretch bolts 21 + 7 seems adequate.

maybe you have a differnt block or bolts?

matty_gti
yeah I thought it strange, an extra 7 spacer should solve it but dont understand how you have such a high space? Is the bolt going right down to water pump? might be worth sliding a welding rod or something in to see how deep the hole is in comparison to the bolt.

hmm strange, with 32mm of spacers at the mo (in the pic) the bolt is just hand tight and you can see about 2mm of the bolt poking out the whole out the bottom just above the w.pump. so after torquing and 300 degrees it shud be ok, or maybe ill need like 33-34mm worth of spacers!?. I have no idea why there is such a large gap??

matty_gti

if you could send me an extra washer/spacer in the set i think thatll be spot on. fingers crossed.

Thank you very much.

matty_gti
already sent :D

Cheers :D

Just one more q.....are the head bolts actually supposed to have washers on them?, because when i took my 1.6 apart they didnt :)

Sign in to follow this