• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jeremy

Cambelt Snapped

jeremy

The car was doing about 20mph under low stress then failure. I did not hear any clattering noises, but realistically should I have done? Is there any way I can tell if the valves are bent other than taking the head off? Or is it just a case of just getting stuck in and removing the head.

All help appreciated.

Thanks

Jeremy

Sandy

Doubtless really that the valves are bent. But if you really wanted to know, time it up, fit a new belt then compression test it. It does carry the risk of further damage however and the best bet really if you know the belt is snapped is to remove the head and rebuild it.

jim21070

If you've an 8 Valve engine and it was only going slowly you may justt be lucky as the valves are vertical with respect to the pistons in these engines so a bust belt will give them a square wallop. On a 8 Valve Diesel this usually snaps the camshaft and sometimes it's the only major damage. The Diesel cam only has three bearings so is somewhat easier to snap than a petrol engine which has 5 cam bearings.

My daughter had her belt go on her 8 Valve Clio 1.2 a few years back and she got away with just a new cambelt.

I'd follow Sandys advice but I'd slip the rocker box off and check the cam is in one piece before trying a compression check.

Heres hoping all will be well.

Anthony

Chuck another cambelt on and compression check it - I've seen 8v's snap cambelts at low revs and not bend any valves, so it's worth a shot. If all the cylinders are within 10% or so of each other then it's probably fine.

Worth whipping the cam cover off before that and checking the valve clearances - if any valves are badly bent then you'll likely have clearances that are well out (as the valve won't close properly)....

jeremy

Thanks for all your replies. I will be ordering a cambelt first thing tomorrow, and buying a compression tester. Finally note to self keep fingers crossed for when I get to investigate on thursday.

welshpug

tensioners and water pump!!!

Guest BrainFluid

Is this on a diesel 205 is it?

Last time I witnessed this it broke the middle cam shaft carrier and bent 2 valves.

:huh:

Anthony
Is this on a diesel 205 is it?

8v GTi AFAIK....

Guest BrainFluid

O....kay.

Some of the replies were confusing me s'all.

jim21070
O....kay.

Some of the replies were confusing me s'all.

Sorry Nate! I was rambling a little and going off at tangents :huh:

Festivities getting to me I guess. Happy New year!

jeremy

Just a little update. I got a new belt timed it up then compression tested the engine. These were the results 170, 0, 150, and finaly 100. So its head rebuild time!!! :):P I a perverse sort of way I do not feel angry or pixxed off as unfortunately over the xmas period my wifes grandad has had several minor strokes and is now banned from driving as of today. His wife is finding it very difficult as she has always relied on him to take her everywhere oh and she is just difficult anyway.

Alastairh

Sorry to hear it mate.

Chin up, things will sort them selves out in time.

Alastair

Sign in to follow this