• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris205xs

Best Exhaust For Xs Either Straight Through Or With Centre Box?

chris205xs

i was talkin to a friend and as i plan to upgrade the cam he thinks i shudnt opt for a straight through exhaust but a one with a centre box, does it also matter the size of the centre box i.e. larger the better performance smaller the less performance if that makes any sense???

j_turnell

Straight through afaik means it doesnt have a centre box. On my old XS i used a 205 1.1 centre pipe, which was straight through, was about £25 from local exhaust place and fitted a Pipercross filter, did find the car seemed much more responsive, but prepare for it to be louder as a result.

macaroni

I have a straight through centre section on my xs and it may be because of the extra noise, but the car does seem to pull harder at the top end than with the centre silencer.

People claim that the exhaust needs an expansion box to create negative pressure waves back up the exhaust to create a kind of extractor effect, but I don't feel it at all.

chris205xs

yeah i would of thought the same as i want it loud, but my friend had a straight through centre section on his 16v 205 rallye and he changed the exhaust wit one with a centre box and it seems to pull a lot better, i jus dont want my xs to be losing power where i can gain. Im getting a custom exhaust just not sure what to go for. anybody done a tried and tested???

macaroni

If you get a 4 branch manifold, you can stop worrying about what the rest of the exhaust is like and have it straight through. The manifold will provide a much better extractor effect than an expansion box.

chris205xs

yeah i plan on getting one of those csc jobbies on the next group order so i shud get a straight through system :) thank you all for your advice.

stu_woac

my veiw is in another post and its that a straight through centre loses the xs's edge as it doesn't accelarate as quick as with the standard system but get rid off the restrictive front down pipe if on your one

Guest smokinslim

My CJ (lower spec 1360cc engine than the xs) had a straight through center pipe when i got the car, but have added a straight through rear box myself since and upgraded the carb to the same as the xs. At idle and low steady revs its pretty quiet, roars when u floor it though :) and the last xs I came across on my travels couldn't touch me! :(

stu_woac

then you woke up LOL

no only kidding the reason the xs engine wasnt put in the cj was to keep insurance cheap as the cj is a fair bit lighter than a standard xs

but if the xs was being driver hard it would of still stayed and most likey passed you as you havent said you changed the cam over which is different in a xs as well

Edited by stu_woac

Guest smokinslim

True, but i have a nicely flowed head :)

stu_woac

well I'd give you a race but I think thats unfair as mi'd 205 struggle to lose me up to 90mph after tho they start pulling away slowly :wacko: soon to be rectified tho :)

Rippthrough
well I'd give you a race but I think thats unfair as mi'd 205 struggle to lose me up to 90mph after tho they start pulling away slowly :wacko: soon to be rectified tho :)

Off topic, but whs it your Fiat in Retro cars this month?

Stu with a 205 on carbs....

stu_woac

nope I dont own a fiat

well I dont think I do LOL

Rippthrough
nope I dont own a fiat

well I dont think I do LOL

That's what you know! :)

pugrallye

I have a cherry bomb in the centre (came with exhaust) and I actually gained midrange

Guest rich xs

Has anyone fitted a Janspeed downpipe-back exhaust system to their XS? Ive seen them for sale for £180 on tinternet and Im veeery tempted esp. since my mid box is on the way out

Guest smokinslim
well I'd give you a race but I think thats unfair as mi'd 205 struggle to lose me up to 90mph after tho they start pulling away slowly :( soon to be rectified tho :huh:

I've a few small alterations in mind for my engine but once they're sorted i'll take u up on that offer mate :D

macaroni
Has anyone fitted a Janspeed downpipe-back exhaust system to their XS? Ive seen them for sale for £180 on tinternet and Im veeery tempted esp. since my mid box is on the way out

You just missed one on ebay that didn't go for £75.

I've a few small alterations in mind for my engine but once they're sorted i'll take u up on that offer mate :huh:

Come on lads, grow up, it will be my Dad's harder than yours soon.

Guest smokinslim
Come on lads, grow up, it will be my Dad's harder than yours soon.

Nah, ma dad's gettin fat n slow in his old age! :P

Sign in to follow this