• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pug205rally

Citroen Berlingo Gearbox

pug205rally

Hi Chaps - done a search and can't find anything -

Have acquired a damaged Citroen Berlingo Van 1.9D - the gearbox looks like a BE3 am wondering if it is the same cos it looks like it could be an interesting experiment on my GTI

Anyone any thoughts or observations - experimented at all

Cheers

Simon

pug_ham

I think the Berlingo has the Be4 gearbox same as fitted to the 307 & newer Pug models which has a different clutch operating method but this can be worked around afaik.

A diesel gearbox on a GTi would be to long in the higher gears imo.

Graham.

pug205rally
I think the Berlingo has the Be4 gearbox same as fitted to the 307 & newer Pug models which has a different clutch operating method but this can be worked around afaik.

A diesel gearbox on a GTi would be to long in the higher gears imo.

Graham.

Cheers for the reply - I was told and it may be total B***ks that the 1.9D has a BE3 and a 4.53 final drive hence the interest.

Can't find any details on t'web to back it up so hoping to find some wisdom on the forum.

Hilgie

Also...the 1.9D was probably a DW8 engine which sits a different angle (15 degrees instead of 30 degrees like the XU).

So you'd need to swap the bellhousing as well.

888rmb

I spoke to Andy Baker from AB Motorsport about Berlingo gearboxes. IIRC he said they were a BE3R (R for revised I think) gearbox and they had something like a 4.8 CWP but the CWP would not fit the BE3 gearbox without fitting the rest of the Berlingo ratios, which were not much good.

pug205rally
I spoke to Andy Baker from AB Motorsport about Berlingo gearboxes. IIRC he said they were a BE3R (R for revised I think) gearbox and they had something like a 4.8 CWP but the CWP would not fit the BE3 gearbox without fitting the rest of the Berlingo ratios, which were not much good.

Thanks for the reply - had heard the same of the petrol engined box but had heard that it may have been possible with the diesel one hence the question - looks like I need to be wary before going any further.

Was hoping that I could find a cheap 4.53 or similar from a 1.9D Berlingo and drop it in. Am going to dig a bit further and try and find if anything from the range may work. Guess thats wy it's not been done before

Ratios for 1.9D look like had 1st 3.45 2nd 1.87 3rd 1.28 4th 0.95 5th 0.76

If I find anything useful will post -

pug_ham
Ratios for 1.9D look like had 1st 3.45 2nd 1.87 3rd 1.28 4th 0.95 5th 0.76
Can you get a definate on what final drive is used in these gearboxes?

Those ratios are close to those fitted to the 205 GRD gearbox as listed on www.205gti.com, only difference being the final drive.

Graham.

pug205rally
Can you get a definate on what final drive is used in these gearboxes?

Those ratios are close to those fitted to the 205 GRD gearbox as listed on www.205gti.com, only difference being the final drive.

Graham.

Hi ,

All I can find at the mo is this which has the gear ratio's

http://citro.1gb.ru/serv/table/BERLINGO_2cm40202.htm

The final drive info I got off a Citroen web site - can't find the link at the mo again. Anyone on here work for Citroen who could confirm at all ????????????

pug_ham

Final drive is also on that webpage;

Engine & The main drive

[ XUD9]

[17 x 77][19 x 79]

[4.529][4.158]

Graham.

eob

Wow. Sounds like it won't work. This means, unfortunately, that your going to have to build a V6/T16/Mi16 Berlingo.

Unfortunte ;)

jonD6B

The 1.9D had both the XU and the DW8 engine derivitives both from 1996 onwards iirc. The boxes have poor synchro's aswell from my experience. Nearly everyone I know with a Berlingo/Partner has crunching going into 2nd gear.

Sign in to follow this