• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
adriches

Mi16x4 And Glx4 Transferbox's?

adriches

Hi,

A bit of a loooong question...!

The 405 glx4 epicyclic centre diff gives a permanent torque split of 53/47 per cent front/rear and at speeds up to 15mph the centre and rear diffs can b locked using a button next to the handbrake.

The 405 mi16 uses an epicyclic centre diff with viscous coupling. So normally 53/47 % front/rear but is adjusted by the diff depending on differing axle speed, and thus the grip at each end of the car. It also has a Torsen (torque sensing) rear diff which redistributes the torque supplied to the rear axle to favour the rear wheel with most grip (maximum ratio of 4 to 1.)

So, basically does that surely mean the mi16 box must get worn more than the glx4? And so for an off-road vehicle the glx4 type box would be better?

cybernck

the specs are all correct.

for towing things in a muddy field, i'd also choose the base model rather than mi16x4,

as you want fully lockable diffs for that sort of situation :).

hope this helps.

adriches

So is the gl box going to be able to take more abuse due to its more basic function?

kutija1345402283

I think not....

And I'm pretty sure...

KRISKARRERA

Easy solution. Buy a GLx4 and Mi16 it :D:lol:

No ok I was joking really. The GLx4 really is very rare isn't it. I saw one in town once and just had to stop and stare at it.

Guest DesMi16

The only draw back of the Mi box is the viscous centre diff. These are prone to wear over long periods of time but if in good condition, the Mi setup is far superior than the Gl as it's locking over 15mph but this is more for performance reasons than anything else. As Cybernck said, if you need it fully locked at low speeds then the Gl would be better.

adriches
The only draw back of the Mi box is the viscous centre diff. These are prone to wear over long periods of time

So the glx4 box wont wear in the same way so therefore is more durable for OFF ROAD use??

Jer309GTi

Another thing to think about is the GL engine will have less torque than an Mi engine and so won't put as much strain on the transmission

KRISKARRERA

Yes and of course the GL would never been have driven as enthusiastically as an mi16x4.

Guest DesMi16
So the glx4 box wont wear in the same way so therefore is more durable for OFF ROAD use??

That's right. Viscous couplings do wear with time and need rebuilding whereas the standard non locking centre diff on a Gl has nothing to wear. The wear on the Mi diff means that over time it may not lock any more with differences in front / rear axle speeds. The manual diff locks of the Gl do not suffer from this but the difference is that the centre and rear diffs are permanently locked which for slow off road use is ideal. The other point is that with self locking diffs on the Mi, one wheel has to start losing traction before it works so if you were off road this would not be ideal because that wheel has no grip and you are relying on the other wheels to have grip to drag yourself through. With the permanenty locked diffs, all wheels are going the same speed so there is less chance of any breaking traction.

Out of interest, what are you planning to do with this?

adriches

Well.....

Cheap 4x4 for some off road action, and i am a peugeot person (so not much to choose from ha ha!) Want something bit different.

Glx4, 1.9td engine put in and raised ride hight etc.

Transfer box bolt on to td gearbox?? Other than that, shud work?

adriches

Oh is 1 of the engine mounts guna be different like mi16x4?

Guest DesMi16

You will need a 4x4 gearbox as the casings are different and the output shaft into the transfer box is different. Also, lower engine mount will be different as per Mi4x4. Apart from that, sounds good fun for a bit of off roading!!

adriches

But the ratios would b all wrong and its top speed would b 80! How would i get around this?

And what would i do about the engine mount?

Cheers

Guest DesMi16

You could recase the internals from the diesel box into the 4x4 box. You will need the 4x4 engine mount as it is shaped to miss the transfer box and bolts onto the side of the transfer box.

adriches

Easy as that!? I hpoe my mate (who will do it) thinks so!

Ok thanks 4 yr help

adriches

Old thread! But i now have a phase 2 1.9td 405 estate with mi16x4 four wheel drive underneath. I found it on ebay a couple of years ago. Want to use it off road but really need a 405 glx4 for the transfer box..... but there must be so few left on the road!

cammmy

You looked for a 505 dangel?

cammmy
Dangel_505bk_AVG.jpg Edited by cammmy

adriches

Yea I have, quite a bit, suprisingly the 4x4 system isn't any better than what the 405 has. They suffer similar problems. Also they r rare, make good money, r prob harder to maintain being an older model, and I think the 1.9td is the better engine.

adriches

Also will be good to have something different!!!

Sign in to follow this