• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Joshgti91

My 205 Restoration.

calvinhorse

That colour is blooody lovely!

Good effort fella!

GLPoomobile

Apologies in advance for this being a negative post. As others have said, fair play to you for having a crack at it. But I just don't understand why you chose to mask up parts instead of removing them. I mean, the spoiler, that's like 3 or 4 screws and it's off! Just seems crazy to me.

Still, if you are just using this as a learning experience, then a few mistakes along the way is an important part of the process ;)

Joshgti91

Hi mate, i spray paint quite a lot and tbh the paint aint going to last very long around the edge you have masked off, dont jetwash it!

anyway fair play for trying it yourself, however in hind sight you should have tested and got used to your gun first, it would have made everything easier for you like the run in the boot.

im looking forward to seeing what the finished resaults is like after the compound,

and my final note, any face mask that is not clean air fed is not up to the job when i come to 2k paint, you may not be able to smell paint but the most harmful thing in the paint is isocyanates you cannot smell them and currently there are no filter that can filter it out no matter what fee-bay says! trust me! isocyanates poisoning is something you can do without.

Cheers for the advice, I've learned a million and one things during this, all of which I know how to do different next time. The car looks a 100 times better than it did, this alone makes me pleased with how it has turned out. Where i masked bits off the tape was rolled up slightly at the edges so has not left any clear lines. Plus i don't jetwash cars so hopefully it should be alright

I've heard about the horrors of 2k and Isocyanate, but I don't think the basecoat I used contained this?

Any advice for flatting back the lacquer and buffing it?

• Like 1

Joshgti91

Thanks for the positive and constructive comments guys, i appreciate any advise and will take it on board!...hind sight's a good thing, and i would have done things a bit different, but for now i'm pleased. Il get some more pics up of it nearly built up, and the underside of the boot floor where i rust treated it and hammerited it. Also got the gaz shocks on... :)

Slo

Wait at least a month before you touch it or the paint will gather when you buff it, how much lacquer did you put on there's a lot of orange peel to sand down?

DamirGTI

I've heard about the horrors of 2k and Isocyanate, but I don't think the basecoat I used contained this?

2k clear coat lacquer has it , in fact a vast amount of Isocyanate is in the hardener .. so , be very careful with that stuff .

Celly basecoats and acrylic don't contain Isocyanate , with this ones you can go with an good cartridge filtered mask and eye protection , as well as wearing gloves (celly compound enters into the body trough skin as well ..) .. so for DIY this ones are safer route cos they're not as dangerous as Iso. based stuff , but as said - needs proper protection as well .

D B)

NFS

Cheers for the advice, I've learned a million and one things during this, all of which I know how to do different next time. The car looks a 100 times better than it did, this alone makes me pleased with how it has turned out. Where i masked bits off the tape was rolled up slightly at the edges so has not left any clear lines. Plus i don't jetwash cars so hopefully it should be alright

the ISO's are in the hardener of the lacquer not the base coat, however if you are using 2k (solvent) base coat this will still cause you some serious damage to your body, iso's will seep in through your skin, eye, hair anyway it can get into your blood stream, people have literally died used this stuff when the are not fully protected.

right what i do to flat it back is 1st wait. wait for at least 3 days depending on what lacquer you have used? post it up might be slightly different. then sand it with 1500 grit then down to as low as 3000, then clean the panel and apply something like 3M rapid compound and machine polisher, this will get the sanding marks out but not the very light stuff, once you have compound go down to a light abrasive polish like dodo juice lime prime with the machine polisher with a polishing head rather than a compound head (dont use the same head for compound and polish) this will make it the mirror finish you are after with no scratches and no orange peel, then after that you will need to use a glaze like poor boys purple haze and apply this by hand.

pugpete1108

having done a full respray myself in a lockup garage recently (check my thread link) although kudous for attempting it as i did but for the life of me cant think why you didnt remove the trim and glass etc.

the last few pics look very orangpeely and i see you have started refitting trim etc.

have you finished compounding/polishing the paint? this is the finish i got on mine:

DSC_0348_zpsdb89abd9.jpg

the only thing i didnt remove was the rear screen and i sorely regret that now, as even though its the same base colour (mine wasnt) you still have the layer of primer that will show when the paint shrinks back (which it will). as i know how much effort painting a car is its such a shame to see it ruined over such a small effort beforehand.

please dont take this as a negative but i just hope you dont regret it, and granted you learn as you go (well i did)

Joshgti91

having done a full respray myself in a lockup garage recently (check my thread link) although kudous for attempting it as i did but for the life of me cant think why you didnt remove the trim and glass etc.

the last few pics look very orangpeely and i see you have started refitting trim etc.

have you finished compounding/polishing the paint? this is the finish i got on mine:

DSC_0348_zpsdb89abd9.jpg

the only thing i didnt remove was the rear screen and i sorely regret that now, as even though its the same base colour (mine wasnt) you still have the layer of primer that will show when the paint shrinks back (which it will). as i know how much effort painting a car is its such a shame to see it ruined over such a small effort beforehand.

please dont take this as a negative but i just hope you dont regret it, and granted you learn as you go (well i did)

Fair do's you got a decent result on your 205... but why do you think I would regret it? My car was saved from the scrapyard, and now looks a 100 times better, no rust.. no dents, no lacquer and paint fade.. and a 205 GTI still on the road.

Surely this is a win win situation for now... even if I didn't remove the glass. I've learned seriously alot, and I've enjoyed every minute if it.

Joshgti91

Hey guys, I've got a few more pics of the car as it is. The front end has been built up, and the new yellow driving lamps look excellent!

Cleaned the Speedlines up aswell... :)

DSCF1210_zpsf7ededc9.jpg

DSCF1174_zps9c7adc3f.jpg

And I love the metallic!...

DSCF1187_zpsc003b91d.jpg

Front end...

DSCF1205_zps83864ad9.jpg

DSCF1208_zps770189a7.jpg

Joshgti91

DSC_0348_zpsdb89abd9.jpg

And sorry, but there was no way I was going to remove the glass as i had absolutely no idea what I was doing... and i wasn't prepared to pay someone to sort it out after I'd ballsed it up.

Joshgti91

DSCF1212_zps366ade4b.jpg

The underside of the boot Hammerited and Jenolited. And the Gaz shocks fitted. Me and Hywel had a nightmare fitting these as bolts that go through the shocks were completely seized, and we had to grind them off!!!

A trip to the local scrapyard sorted us some replacements off a 205 CJ which came off a piece of p*ss!!! Unbelievable...

Notice how the overspray from the boot somehow made it's way onto the new shocks!! :ph34r:

DSCF1192_zps256e53bd.jpg

And yes.. i'm overdue a new rear beam as I think this one is seized. I think I'm getting one of a lad breaking his 205 on here.

NFS

Fair do's you got a decent result on your 205... but why do you think I would regret it? My car was saved from the scrapyard, and now looks a 100 times better, no rust.. no dents, no lacquer and paint fade.. and a 205 GTI still on the road.

Surely this is a win win situation for now... even if I didn't remove the glass. I've learned seriously alot, and I've enjoyed every minute if it.

i think he was refering to how you will feel when the paint starts flaking off, and you will be left with another choice, do you scrap it or redo the whole thing again, but for it to last this time.

ever heard of the expression "buy cheap buy twice"? well that kind of relates to painting cars, if you skip steps in the prep you will most likely have to re do it again to make it last as long as if you just done it properly the first time and actaully save money.

the car is looking good, the paint is orange peely and that will be down to a badly setup gun and most likely a small compressor as i have personally used this gun before and have achived a orange peeless finish, but the orange peel can be taken care of with some elbo grease, :D

aarontrophy

I decided i was happy with the masking, and after de-greasing the body, started to thin some High build. I've never sprayed before and stupidly didn't spray a test panel first? I kind of set the gun up as I went.. and well heres the result after a couple of coats... DSCF1110_zpsefe465a5.jpg

DSCF1112_zps7257f3e4.jpg

I was pleased with how well it was going on, laying down nice and flat!...At this point when the paint is wet do you realise just how many insect and other things are actually floating about! :angry:

Ahh well, it was to be expected from a diy job, no runs yet at least.

More primer.

DSCF1116_zps4fc74056.jpg

DSCF1115_zps9b276bf9.jpg

i remember when mine looked like that

Joshgti91

Round 2. Doing it proper this time! Haha

post-23198-0-02552000-1507865618_thumb.jpg

Joshgti91

A lot of wire wheeling, welding and undersealing later...

post-23198-0-36717600-1507868324_thumb.jpg

• Like 1