Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Laser Green 205 1.6 Gti

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

pug_ham

pug_ham
  • Team Managers
  • 18,423 posts
  • Name:Graham
Garage View Garage
Very nice find & acquisition Tom, gone to a well deserved new owner who'll keep her in fine fettle & not allow any deterioration.

There used to be a spotless red 1.6 J reg 205 in Skipton driven by an older gent but I haven't seen it in a few years so I guess its gone on to be stripped, scrapaged or crashed. :(

If I saw it again with an old gent driving, I'd turn around to go up & have a look if it was parking.

g

Andy_C

Andy_C
  • Drivers
  • 1,254 posts
Very nice find indeed mate - well done.

Right time, right place by the sounds of it too and nothing wrong with keeping it standard and loved at all.

tartanbloke

tartanbloke
  • Drivers
  • 208 posts
  • Name:Christopher Orr
Garage View Garage
Glad to hear you bought it in the end.

The way you were talking about it on Sunday was more than just a small desire.

Regards

Chris

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
  • Name:Nikica Atlagic
Garage View Garage
Wow, what an amazing find! Perfect shell to make into a rally car :rolleyes:.

I'm sure photos don't do it justice and it has to be seen in person to be admired in full.

Good luck with it and sort out the little bits as soon as possible :).

Stu

Stu
  • Drivers
  • 1,045 posts
This makes me sad. It is exactly the project I've been looking for! Like you, i wonder if my track-orientated 205 has become 'another track car' and lost the idiosyncrasies that make the 205 driving experience so am seriously considering parting with it to build a really nice Laser to use more on the road than anything else...

All the best with it bud, look forward to seeing the updates ;)

Baz

Baz
  • Drivers.
  • 10,300 posts
  • Name:באז
:wub:

That is a lovely find Tom, good work! (not that it took a lot of that by the sounds of it you jammy b@stard!! :lol: )

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
Here are the couple of interior pics I took. Not great by any means but good enough from my phone.

36035148572_92440b89d7_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

35809737830_0ee744d392_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

35365908644_c2584ac212_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

I put a few pics on facebook last night, a mate of mine grew up over the road from Ruth and her (now) ex husband George, he can remember this car when she had it.

u47sb2

u47sb2
  • Drivers
  • 275 posts
  • Name:Steven
Garage View Garage
Very nice car. If only gems like that could be found up in scotland! (a laser green 205 is on my 'wanted' list of cars!)

jamesc

jamesc
  • Drivers
  • 65 posts
Very Nice,

Does he want to sell the 106?

Daviewonder

Daviewonder
  • Drivers+
  • 3,016 posts
  • Name:Dave
Garage View Garage

I may think about selling my red turbo at some point

:o You can't do that :o

It's the equivalent of Keith Harris selling Orville. (sorry best example I could come up with)

Bogsye

Bogsye
  • Drivers
  • 261 posts
  • Name:Brian

Very nice car. If only gems like that could be found up in scotland! (a laser green 205 is on my 'wanted' list of cars!)

You've noticed that too. I think this is where they come to die?

Back on thread - Tom, good luck with the new aquisition. Looks lovely!

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts

Does he want to sell the 106?

I have first refusal if he ever does decide to sell it :P

eddie bullit

eddie bullit
  • Drivers+
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Paul
Starting to dislike you :lol:

MikeM

MikeM
  • Drivers
  • 88 posts
  • Name:Michael McNiven
Fantastic looking car Tom! What a treat for a car with all the history to turn up. Makes me wish that I had just tidied up my gti when I got it instead of going down the trackcar route.
I agree with the above posts regarding 205s in scotland, only ever seem to find them with a goosed 16v in them and rusty bits!
Hope to see more pictures after a good polish
cheers

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
So I'm off to collect this little beastie this afternoon, really quite excited!

maxi

maxi
  • Pitcrew
  • 3,003 posts
Garage View Garage
Looks like a right little corker! Enjoy it mate, and I think your plan of enjoying it as a standard car is the best way forward.

Maxi

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
Thanks chaps. I picked this up yesterday, went for a drive of about 15 miles locally, it is by no means fast, but it really is nice just to pootle about in. It drives lovely, everything is nice and light, it is a pleasure to use. No smoking that I could see, all temperatures and pressures good, if anything it feels slower than I remember my red 1.6 to be when it was standard, but I've an idea this is probably that it has never really been thrashed especially, librarian owner for 8 years then old gent for 12 years.

Pictures are to follow, I am already starting to collate a list of bits and pieces to attend to, but there is nothing much, just silly things like the door check strap pin has been replaced with a bolt, the rear valance doesn't line up properly, the drivers door has a dent that I hope a good dent man can sort, etc.

Another bit of news, after I'd agreed to buy it, John who was the past owner has been in touch with Ruth who was the owner before, she does remember me, and apparently still has some paperwork/documents that go with the car! So I will be in touch with her soon to pop round to see her and see what she has!

The docs that came with the car are great, John had also saved a number of magazine articles, one from a 1991 Autocar, and another Which! magazine from 1991 with an article review hot hatchbacks. All this is great stuff and just adds more and more to the history of the car.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
Here are a few pictures, this is approx 20 mins after I picked it up, all I have done it driven it to where I took the pics.

35397492053_78f8d5e24e_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

36035305442_ed7e7d19fa_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

36067926161_8d4e2a1f60_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

36201980685_dd4b07b407_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

And finally, another nice discovery, it has both the original Peugeot keys, one has not been used as it still has the textured finish to the plastic. Plus it also has the dealer keyring plus the original key tag with code on it.

36201980675_4cd264f898_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Richie

Richie
  • Drivers
  • 2,141 posts
Looks great that mate bet your well chuffed. I've never seen a lazer on the road before, only ever at shows. Is a very cool colour.

Henry Yorke

Henry Yorke
  • Team Managers
  • 4,539 posts
  • Name:err.. Henry Yorke
Garage View Garage
I've seen it in the flesh today and it has virginal inner wings and it is hard to find anything it really needs. A nice little classic to store for the future. I'll give you a shout when the classic magazines come sniffing about for a standard 1600 for a feature (usually short notice though!)