Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Laser Green 205 1.6 Gti

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
  • Name:Nikica Atlagic
Garage View Garage
What's going on with that rear wiper, FFS! :rolleyes: .................... :D

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
It works a treat, it just needs moving, its on the list!

feb

feb
  • Drivers
  • 2,372 posts
  • Name:feb
Garage View Garage
You are a very lucky man! (no, not jealous at all!)
It looks like a well looked after car in great condition body wise (at least).
How much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking? PM if you don't wish to mention publicly.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
So a little more history to add to the list.

This morning I phoned up Ruth who owned this car from 1992 to 1999. She remembered me from when I did some work on her 206 GT which replaced this car. She said she had a few bits of paperwork so I arranged to call round this afternoon.

I arrived and she was more than pleased to see the car again! She was also quite suprised at the condition- apart from a couple of things she said that the car was pretty much in the same condition as when she last saw it in 1999- a credit to how John has looked after it.

The paperwork turned out to be tax discs from 1996 to 1999 (I already have them all from 2000 onwards), an old MOT cert that was missing from the rest, and a bill for a new downpipe wire ring and fitting.

I asked her where she bought the car from, it turned out that she got it from the Brighouse auctions, in 1992, as a 40th birthday present to herself, on the 16th April 1992, so the car was just over 12 months old having been first reg'd in March 1991, with 16,000 miles on the clock. She paid £6800 for it, and was quite peeved that Pikes in Rotherham would only allow her £1800 against it in 1999 when she bought the 206 GT.

The story from before then is that a gent Mr Potts, bought the car for his son, who was going to University in York, to travel from south of Mansfield to York. This probably explains the 16k in its first year. What happened after that to mean it went up for sale I do not know.

Ruth also had some pictures from 1992 from when she first got the car, she is going to scan these and send them to me. There is a bit of a dilemma here though, as these pictures show it with its plates from the dealer who originally supplied it, from Lowdham near Nottingham. The car at present has all the plates and stickers from Pikes in Rotherham, who supplied it to John, so the dilemma is whether to keep it as it is, or to try and get repro plates and bits made to return it to the Lowdham info. Jury is out at the moment on that one.

So a few pictures

On Ruths drive, where the car lived for 7 years
36160672416_baa6f7100c_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Ruths 206 GT that replaced the 205
35366065014_61479ab139_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Both cars together
36160672396_06fa3114ed_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Finally Ruth sat in her old car, you maybe cannot see in the pic but she had a huge grin and was really pleased to see it!
35366065054_f191d19077_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Also interesting, whilst I was there for about an hour, 3 people on the street walked past and remembered the car, asked Ruth if it was her old car etc.

maxi

maxi
  • Pitcrew
  • 3,003 posts
Garage View Garage
This really is quite a heart warming little story. Its nice to see the little pug was loved all its life, to me this is what the little gti's are about, they all have their own story to tell.

Maxi

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
So as she promised here are the photos from 1992 when Ruth first got the car.

35809953650_c3fa5fa376_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

36035371702_2c4f2631ba_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

36068036971_7e6f098cdd_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

36068037071_c454cd548e_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

36160739566_45c6d8b72b_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

35397566273_577dacda90_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

And finally, this shot from 1999 when Ruth part-exchanged the car at the local dealer against her 206 GT, car in the showroom at the local main dealer.

36202100245_9d8175d1e2_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

DaveW

DaveW
  • Drivers
  • 3,886 posts
Talk about time warp! of that 1st old pic on the drive :)

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
The old pictures are great aren't they, the other thing that struck me is how modern the 205 looked at the time against the Cortina which also wasn't that old.

After a look at the pictures I did a bit of research and it appears that John Harrison of Lowdham Peugeot dealer is still going (I think anyway). So my next plan is to get in touch with them and see if there are any old hands still working there who may remember the car or have some stories about its owners. A very long shot I know, after 20 years, but it has to be worth a try. Even if there is no one that remembers it, I'm tempted to take it down there anyway, for a few photos of it on the forecourt.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,027 posts
  • Name:Mei
Worth a shot definitely, local parts man and a few of the Master techs were around when the 205 came out :D

Phil H

Phil H
  • Drivers
  • 931 posts
Car looks very nice. Get some number plate decals with the dealers name on, and get some of the larger font number plates made up, then a rear window sticker, tax disc holder, key fobs etc. They may still have some dusty old ones about that are from the era.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
To be honest although it would be nice to change it back to John Harrison stuff, the car came with all its Derek Pike stuff on it, numberplates front and rear, rear window sticker, tax disc holder, key ring, invoice of sale from Pikes, etc. So although they are not original from the time it was new, they are original to the car at some point in its life. I will be leaving it as it is for now anyway.

TT205

TT205
  • Pitcrew+
  • 1,594 posts
  • Name:Dave
Surely you ARE going to have a cuddly Garfield on the parcel shelf :lol:

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
Garfield isn't at the top of the to do list if I am totally honest.....

TT205

TT205
  • Pitcrew+
  • 1,594 posts
She looks ace, you must be well chuffed!

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
You bet I am, the car itself really is super clean and nice, but it is the history part that really is the icing on the cake for me.

I will attend to a couple of bits and bobs on the car, then whilst she is tucked away for the winter I plan to make up a scrapbook or whatever you want to call it, with all the pictures and info etc in.

Andy_C

Andy_C
  • Drivers
  • 1,254 posts
Enjoying the story as it unfolds on this one and still very envious indeed.

Liking the period pics and the Cortina - identical colour to my first ever car but looks like a GL; mine was an L :lol:

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
  • Name:Nikica Atlagic
Garage View Garage

Posted Image

Driving lights lasted only 5-6 years ;).

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
That picture was 1st Sept 1999, so they lasted 8 1/2 years, not very good really.

Also look at the backbox in the other old pics- that was only just 1 year old.

TT205

TT205
  • Pitcrew+
  • 1,594 posts

but it is the history part that really is the icing on the cake for me.

My first 205 was an H-reg Turbo Technics conversion I bought it in 1996 or 1997

I had the full history on the car, it went straight from the showroom to Osselli Engineering for the conversion with 6 miles on the clock, the original owner sold it after a year? to a guy near Lancaster who had it until it emigrated to Yorkshire. I had every tax disc from new, all the service history, the brochure from Osselli etc

I had it as my road car for 3 years, then started Hillclimbing with it (no further mods other than seat and harness)

Sold it in ?2005 or 2006 to a guy off the forum. According to Stu he took the engine out to do a refresh and 3 years later it was still sat in his back garden :(
Haven't asked Stu recently if it's still sat there rotting away :o

Iirc it had a bubble on the OS front wing, else it was in very good nick

I suppose my point is - it was a dearly loved car with history like yours and the end result was very sad :(

feb

feb
  • Drivers
  • 2,372 posts
  • Name:feb
Garage View Garage
I don't see the point in keeping previous tax discs and throw them away now (or even better not need one anymore ; )
All they do is remind me of how much money has been paid to cover black holes.
I guess it shows that a car has been kept on the road for all its life.

Edited by feb, 28 September 2011 - 07:56 PM.