• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Tom Fenton

Favourite Tools

Tom Fenton

I love tools, I'm sure some of you guys do as well.

So this thread is for those things you couldn't do without.

First off cordless impact gun, best thing I have, this has saved me literally hours in the past

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-impact-driverswrenches-high-torque-wrenches-dw059k-2.aspx

Next up is a recent one for me, my brake pipe straightener. If like me you are picky about wiggly brake pipes this is for you. Simple but so effective.

http://www.kwixuk.com/product.html

One many will have seen, Irwin nut grips, worth their weight in gold!

http://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bolt-extractors/5-pc-bolt-grip-expansion-set

Finally one I bought the other day, spring pin punches. If you are stripping a BE gearbox these come in very handy, you will struggle with out them to be honest.

http://www.buckandhickman.com/find/keyword-is-roebuck/product-is-216225

So what are your recommendations?

allanallen

That f***ing pipe straightener! You're a perv! Oh and not forgetting your fancy pants cable tie flush snipper things!!! :P

I haven't got any fancy tools :(

Edited by allanallen

stufarri

That brake pipe straightener looks awesome.

I need to do mine on my Goodwood so I'll be getting one, they are local to me too. I'll get another bigger one to do the fuel pipes too.

Edited by stufarri

Tom Fenton

That f***ing pipe straightener! You're a perv! Oh and not forgetting your fancy pants cable tie flush snipper things!!! :P

Ah good point yes, I had forgotten about those and I would not be without them.

Those come from when I used to work for a guy doing rally car prep, he was very picky about certain things, one of which was chopping the loose end off cable ties. If you do it with normal pliers or cutters it leaves a razor sharp "tang" sticking out which is usually conveniently placed to rag the back of your hands to ribbons just as you are reaching for that widget nearby, because the normal cutting jaws are ground with a bevel on both sides.

Flush cutting nippers have the jaw ground totally flush on one side, so you can chop the tie off flush with the "latch" part. Expensive and MUST NOT be used to cut anything hard as it will mark the jaws, but ace for zip ties.

Mine are 76 22 125 on this link.

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1367&groupID=1481

Weser

Flush cutting snips are a must for cable ties. Use them all the time at work - I hate catch the back of my hand on the bits when they are not cut flush.

My old man has one of these:

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/CVJ-Boot-Tool

Expands the universal CV gaiters using the compressor. easier than using the cones.

allanallen

MUST NOT be used to cut anything hard as it will mark the jaws, but ace for zip ties.

Don't know what you're on about!Yours cut through lock wire just fine :)

Tom Fenton

Don't know what you're on about!Yours cut through lock wire just fine :)

Injury to report, I have just tripped over your gearbox and plate diff I left out for the scrap man when I went to check my cutters.... :D

allanallen

It was essentially scrap from the last time you touched it anyway.....

Tom Fenton

:D:D:D

welshpug

I love tools too :D

I'd echo the impact gun as being a massive timesaver, there's no way I could afford to buy one of these beast brand new given their RRP, but the average used price was within reach and around the same as any other cheaper Impact gun I would consider, but this one is even more capable :D

http://store.snapon.com/CT6850-Series-18-Volt-Impact-Wrenches-1-2-Drive--Impact-Wrench-Cordless-18-Volt-Slide-on-Battery-1-2-Drive-U-S--P648625.aspx

CT6850.jpg

I find a Power probe a bloody useful tool, though its not used that much so I only got the PP2 not the bells and whistles PP3.

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?id=20&method=mViewProduct&productid=7224

PP1.V3.png

Making brake pipes is a pain in the arse with a £20 tool, so I lurked on ebay for ages to buy one of these.

http://www.automotive-toolzone.co.uk/sykes-pickavant-brake-pipe-flaring-kit-270-series-2029.html

there are a number of different dies they can come with and you can just buy the tool and specific die alone without buying the master kit which will save you a fair bit.

125595_p.jpg

Rich_p

Does the jump in torque on an impact wrench make a noticeable difference to it's abilities?

I see the Dewalt is around 400nm and the Snap On 475n,. I've got a 270nm wrench and it wont even undo wheel nuts!

2nd vote for the Irwin nut grips, they are very handy.

Tom Fenton

Does the jump in torque on an impact wrench make a noticeable difference to it's abilities?

I see the Dewalt is around 400nm and the Snap On 475n,. I've got a 270nm wrench and it wont even undo wheel nuts!

My Dewalt will undo staked in driveshaft nuts so that should answer your question! The tight stuff needs a fully charged battery but thats no great hardship.

• Like 1

welshpug

Certainly does, I've used many even with a full charge will not undo driveshaft nuts or crank bolts, where my snapon will do most.

welshpug

I know, but its five times the price!

I can borrow one if I need to :D

cheesegrater

Another vote for the dewalt impact guns, my favorite tool is the needle nosed belt file made by black and decker. Wicked little thing.

welshpug

Have to say this is another recent purchase that I do love, ideal for scrapyard visits or rally service.

Granted it doesn't have the grunt of a mains unit and wont last that long under heavy use, but its certainly better than nothing :D

10304770_10152516514885985_5883477227320

willis

I love my wrecking bar, not on the 205, though!

Hheppy

I'm off to find a darkened room, al this filthy tool talk is just too much !!!

Mind you, got a few good ideas for what my Mrs can buy me for birthday presents now

thanks!!

nick205

I quite like tools too.

Difficult to pick a favourite, but one thing I really like is having the correct type and weight of hammer for a particular task. When I see people driving nails with an engineers ball pein hammer it leaves me a little agitated.

Henry 1.9GTi

Riv-nut gun - win

Drill - nothing more satisfiying than drilling holes in your pride and joy

Impact driver - no more rounded off brake disc locating screws

Torque wrench - beacuase going around the car making clicking sounds makes me feel like ive made it go faster

mrfirepro

Tom,

I'm very disappointed, you never told me about a pipe straighter, just about clamping two bits of angle together, if you did that for a bet, I hope it was worth it.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the hours I spent with those two bits of angle, they even had names by the end of it....

Tom Fenton

Two bits of angle is how I used to do it. The pipe straightener is a more recent discovery!

glenwah

Snap on techangles are probably my favourite tools, got the 3/8 and 1/2 inch, bit pricey but when you use tools for a living there is no point scrimping.

allanallen

Snap on techangles are probably my favourite tools, got the 3/8 and 1/2 inch, bit pricey but when you use tools for a living there is no point scrimping.

My old chaps got a 1/2" one and it's very good although...... I have on more than one occasion whilst swinging on it had the end cap come off which in turn lets the batteries come unseated and cuts the power! Dead handy :P