Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Exhaust Repair Bodgery Advice

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts

I've refused to buy a new backbox for my 405 TD for the last 10 years. I believe this is how it now looks after the second bodgy repair before MOT last year :D

Welding thin rusty metal like this however is not easy and takes time because of all the crap.

So if one would have to pay someone to do the job, I guess buying an used box on eBay would work out cheaper.

IMG_20151118_194440_zpszhdqojdk.jpg

IMG_20151118_194427_zpsx6yowmhw.jpg

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,027 posts
  • Name:Mei
a new box for a p2 v70 is £50, many come with fitting kits.

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts
  • Name:Barnaby Worthington-Titwank III
If I asked you lot to design me a kitchen I'd probably get a fricken bathroom instead!

jackherer

jackherer
  • Team Managers
  • 11,223 posts

What you're asking for isn't possible so you're only going to get alternative suggestions.

Traditionally you would bodge an exhaust with something like a tin can wrapped around it and held with jubilee rings or similar. The actual sealing is done with exhaust paste, the can is used to hold the paste in place.

As you can't add anything to hold the paste in place due to the shape of your backbox the paste just falls off as you have found. Anything you put on there will fall off due to different expansion rates. It will only stay in place if it is held mechanically somehow or welded.

If you want another answer you'll need to change the laws of physics.

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts
THanks Jackherer. That was a useful explanation. I've already bought some Quick Steel type epoxy (a different make) so I'll give it a go.

barneys66

barneys66
  • Drivers+
  • 452 posts
  • Name:Barney Jones
Garage View Garage
Is it worth drilling some holes around the main area, then twisting them so they look like cheese grater holes - this will then give the epoxy something to mould itself into and therefore hold onto, rather than just sitting on top..?

Edp

Edp
  • Drivers+
  • 3,148 posts
Garage View Garage

I've got a welder you can borrow  :ph34r:

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts

Well I went with Quick Steel epoxy (or rather, a cheaper version of that type of product, ~£5). Turned out it wasn't a simple split anymore. Once I'd dropped it down far enough and ripped the rusty remains of the outer skin off the top I actually had two holes in the inner skin. Not massive, only about 5p-ish size. So far it's been fine, car is quieter now than it's been in years, and was no problem on the MOT. So let's see how long it lasts. I hope to get the whole system replaced before the next MOT anyway, so no biggie if the epoxy falls out in the next few weeks as it's done its job.

Oh, and for those advising a new (cheap) exhaust - a} last month I was down to my last few pennies, and I mean that very literally, before pay day, so that wasn't an option (just sayin). b} yes I could have got a back box very cheap, I could have even got the full cat-back system for less than £100, but you get what you pay for. Why would I want to spend £100 on a cheap pattern system that potentially could strangle flow (this is 250bhp T5), for the sake of getting through a few months Vs spending £5 on a bodge to the original Volvo system? I'm sure I must sound very ungrateful, but it can be a bit infuriating when nobody listens to what you actually asked and just skips straight to the obvious but most expensive solution (and I thank Jackherer again for actually giving an explanation to why my suggested fix wasn't a good idea). Hope you guys aren't responsible for putting together solutions/proposals/bids/pricing etc in your line of work! :P  

Edited by GLPoomobile, 04 September 2016 - 01:45 AM.

lagonda

lagonda
  • Drivers
  • 796 posts
  • Name:Laurence

Glad to hear you've got it fixed; be interesting to hear how long this bodge lasts.

Once "repaired" the exhaust on my brother's 1948 Morris 8 (aka "The Jokamotor") with tightly wound oily rag. Oily because the theory was some non-evaporating dampness would provide a better seal. All was fine....well, for about 10 minutes, before smoke started pervading the cabin. It wasn't exhaust smoke, and with wooden flooring (doubtless soaked with 40 years of engine oil spray), we had to stop pretty damn quick! Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts

Well, it finally blew out again about 2 weeks ago. It's back to full blow now. I don't think that was bad going, about 5 months worth. Might have lasted longer but some times I just have to spank the arse off the T5.

Will bung it up again.

steve@cornwall

steve@cornwall
  • Veterans
  • 3,697 posts
  • Name:Steve !
£1 a month ain't bad

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts
It's even better than that Steve, I only used half the tube of epoxy last time!

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts
MOT on friday. What do we think?

Attached Files

wicked

wicked
  • Drivers+
  • 611 posts
Garage View Garage

That you shouldn't be driving a 250bhp T5 if you can't spare some bucks to get it welded or replaced by a proper used box.  :ph34r:

But most likely you'll stuff in the other half of the tube epoxy and that will blow out in less than 5 months. 

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,027 posts
  • Name:Mei

slap more goop on it.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
Short term repair has lasted 12 months. Personally I'd be happy with that and just buy a new one now but that's me.

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts

I will be getting a full system put on soon (depending on how catastrophic the MOT result it) as it's not going to last much longer judging by how much the hole has deteriorated in 12 months. Middle section is scabby as hell too (although not leaking) and I don't much fancy trying to separate it from the downipe so I'll happily pay to have a custom one made up and let them have the grief.

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts

That you shouldn't be driving a 250bhp T5 if you can't spare some bucks to get it welded or replaced by a proper used box.  :ph34r:

But most likely you'll stuff in the other half of the tube epoxy and that will blow out in less than 5 months. 

THanks for your thoughts on that, along with the arsey sarcastic tone  :) I always find that it helps to establish some of the facts before you go jumping in with both feet. Like....

1) It's a more or less worthless Volvo, the fact it is a 250bhp T5 is neither here nor there

2) Because it's a worthless Volvo and I have other financial priorities in life....like keeping my kids fed and clothed.......yes I have scrimped where necessary.

3) I Have been "shedding" this thing for the last few years, because the plan was to just run it in to the ground as long as I could

4) Since I've now decided to keep it longer I'm no longer scrimping and I have spared "some bucks" bringing it's condition back to scratch, but the exhaust is not an immediate priority compared to other things.

5) As already noted, welding that hole wouldn't be easy and would be a waste of money (since I don't have a welder and can't weld either)

6) I'm not going to put a used box on, for numeroues reasons. Do you want me to make this even more boring than it already is by listing my reasons?

7) My temp fix, which was always intended to be a temp fix, has done what I needed it to do for pennies and little effort. But I guess you are too snobbish to appreciate that, because ooooooh, it's a 250bhp T5 worth about £600!

With the greatest of respect, wind yer neck in  ;)

P.S. And by the way, yes I did stick in the other half of the epoxy metal after that photo was taken. And went over it with a layer of Gun Gum.

Edited by GLPoomobile, 29 August 2017 - 11:52 AM.

barneys66

barneys66
  • Drivers+
  • 452 posts
  • Name:Barney Jones
Garage View Garage
Amen to that.

Bangernomics - whatever works.

steve@cornwall

steve@cornwall
  • Veterans
  • 3,697 posts
  • Name:Steve !
You get to be point where you just have to know how long you can keep bodging things once you start. It's a really good and inexpensive hobby.