Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Stdt Worth Saving?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

artois7

artois7
  • Drivers
  • 161 posts
  • Name:Dan Williams

Been offered a STDT by a friend locally for cheap as he's lost the storage space.

Been sat up since 2015, last run almost a year ago after a year of sitting and it started right up but apparently "smoked". Not seen this myself.

Few areas of rot on the shell; under the rear seats and in the boot. 

Gold with gold 1.9 gti alloys, browny/beige interior, relatively straight other than the rot and a few dings and dents here and there.

Would likely either be a flip or break car for me, not sure if there's much market for them. No STDTs on ebay for a guide price!

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,747 posts
Garage View Garage
Not much point breaking it really, but they do seem to sell quite well on eBay and the like as running MOT'd cars. Worth getting if cheap providing you've the time and space.

Is this the one that Paul used to have locally or another?

artois7

artois7
  • Drivers
  • 161 posts

Not much point breaking it really, but they do seem to sell quite well on eBay and the like as running MOT'd cars. Worth getting if cheap providing you've the time and space.

Is this the one that Paul used to have locally or another?

Yeah Paul's one. He has this and a red shell that he needs shifting after moving house.

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,747 posts
Garage View Garage
Thought it might be - there can't be that many of them locally! :)

Not seen it in the metal, but Paul's one did look reasonably tidy from memory judging by the Faceache pictures when he bought it.

Go take a look - if it looks solid enough and doesn't look like it'll need much for an MOT, I don't think you can go too far wrong. Engine isn't the end of the world if it's something serious and not just a dead glowplug - no one wants the 1.8TD lump so they're cheap as chips when they come up.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,027 posts
  • Name:Mei
is the other shell a gti and straight?

artois7

artois7
  • Drivers
  • 161 posts

is the other shell a gti and straight?

Yeah It's a cherry gti. as far as I know some of the front has been cut but all panels seemed straight when I glanced over it for 10 seconds last time I was there. I'll know more when I go to see it properly. More or less a bare shell though; no running gear. Got doors and a boot lid but they'd likely be sold.

Gaz205

Gaz205
  • Drivers
  • 337 posts
  • Name:Gareth
I wouldn't have thought the STDT would fetch that much in the condition and mileage it has. If it's a weekend and £100 to get it spruced up and tested there may be a drink in it.
It's like these 'time warp' automatic 1600's that keep appearing on eBay at 5k .... Who cares!

Shame to break it but the wings doors trims and bumpers would have some value

artois7

artois7
  • Drivers
  • 161 posts

I wouldn't have thought the STDT would fetch that much in the condition and mileage it has. If it's a weekend and £100 to get it spruced up and tested there may be a drink in it.
It's like these 'time warp' automatic 1600's that keep appearing on eBay at 5k .... Who cares!

Shame to break it but the wings doors trims and bumpers would have some value

It would be a shame to break it. Also a shame that the total lack of STDTs for sale on the internet means there's nothing to base a value on, but I figure even a non-runner is worth a couple hundred and would be easy enough to sell on to someone wanting to fix.

Gaz205

Gaz205
  • Drivers
  • 337 posts
I owned one in the early 2000's and to be fair it was ropey but rare. I don't think they were ever that popular and maybe that's why there aren't many about, also people's lack of motivation to actually save them as its just a diesel with a gti kit.
Even gentry's are fetching peanuts from the last few I've seen sell.

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,747 posts
Garage View Garage
From what I've saw on eBay last year, ratty ones seem to sell for £500 upwards and nicer ones £1000-1500 or so. Not seen any in a little while so not sure how much they've crept up since - probably safe to assume it won't be anything like the increases made by GTi's, but probably more than the regular base models (once you ignore the laughable speculative prices like Gaz mentions above)

Tesstuff

Tesstuff
  • Drivers
  • 1,291 posts
  • Name:Daz

Anthony is correct, all STDT make decent money these days.

There is no such thing as a couple of hundred quid STDT, how much do you think the Gti kit on it is worth? :)

Gaz205

Gaz205
  • Drivers
  • 337 posts

From what I've saw on eBay last year, ratty ones seem to sell for £500 upwards and nicer ones £1000-1500 or so. Not seen any in a little while so not sure how much they've crept up since - probably safe to assume it won't be anything like the increases made by GTi's, but probably more than the regular base models (once you ignore the laughable speculative prices like Gaz mentions above)

😱 I never placed any value on one? Take that back!!
My reference to £100 was to be used on sprucing one up not buying the bloody thing!

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,747 posts
Garage View Garage
I was talking about the £5k Base model auto being laughable, not spending £100 to sort a few bits out :)

Gaz205

Gaz205
  • Drivers
  • 337 posts

I was talking about the £5k Base model auto being laughable, not spending £100 to sort a few bits out :)

Ahh gotcha!
(ECU arrived btw 👍)

artois7

artois7
  • Drivers
  • 161 posts

I went to check it out, it had/has considerably more rot than previously noticed and the GTI kit had cracks all over the place, so there aren't too many salvageable parts.

It probably could be saved but it won't be by me.

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,747 posts
Garage View Garage
That's a shame - it looked quite tidy in the photos :(