• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris adams

Alloy Liners

cammmy
ill report back later got to go job hunting first wish me luck.

Good luck!

Edited by cammmy

chris adams
:( didnt mean to step on anyones toes. it was just a passing comment ;) i thought it was mainly the cylinder head that was derived from the race bread t16 as gti was already in production with its ally block n liner composition so why mess with an otherwise safe setup bottom end as im sure ive read somewhere that converting back to gti rods and moving the float back to the piston is one of the aids to help reduce oil starvation. and yes i know they dont spend thousands of pounds on designing an engine for someone too turn round and say why would you do that instead of this. obviously a lot of thought trial and error goes into designing any motor but sometimes you have to question why.

chris adams

i wasnt desputing the fact of the floating pin it was that they moved the float onto the conrod just for the mi16 that was my point and if they hadnt of made the pistons so light they would not have needed an expansion ring. should of just chucked in some forged jobbies to start with. am i right in thinking that road version of the 405 t16 had forged pistons from factory as well as those trick valves filled with some sort of gas. ????????????????

cammmy

Are the exhaust valves filled with some kind of sodium?

chris adams

yea thats the stuff. couldnt remember yesday what it was called.

chris adams
The reason is thermal expansion. The piston is light enough and uneven in all dimensions, including width of alloy material. It will therefore expand differently when heated. It's expansion and distortion (or rather, anti-distortion) is pre-programmed using, inter alia, such steel inserts.

And stop being so cocky about giving names to engineers building the D6C engine. Mind you, this engine is a very close derivative of the Dakar winning 405T16 with the XU8T engine! Obviously they had a reason to build the engine with the floating pin. You'd better first learn why.

im sure that the race bread t16 engine was derived from the xy8 engine 4 speed gearbox plus 16 valves and obviously the vnt turbo.?

Edited by mi8 turbo

welshpug

NO :lol:

its an XU not XY ROFL!

chris adams
NO :lol:

its an XU not XY ROFL!

hyphinate ( DERIVITIVE.!!!) im sure ive read this in some archive.

Edited by mi8 turbo

rodionski
The reason is thermal expansion. The piston is light enough and uneven in all dimensions, including width of alloy material. It will therefore expand differently when heated. It's expansion and distortion (or rather, anti-distortion) is pre-programmed using, inter alia, such steel inserts.

And stop being so cocky about giving names to engineers building the D6C engine. Mind you, this engine is a very close derivative of the Dakar winning 405T16 with the XU8T engine! Obviously they had a reason to build the engine with the floating pin. You'd better first learn why.

im sure that the race bread t16 engine was derived from the xy8 engine 4 speed gearbox plus 16 valves and obviously the vnt turbo.?

Why would you ever call that engine "race bread"? It never raced in any professional events to my knowledge.

Whereas the XU9J4 did PLENTY of racing in EVERY discipline - BTCC, WRC (205, 206 and even early 307 coupes!)

Surely there was a GOOOD reason the race team engineers preferred the old XU9J4 over the more modern XU10J4, XU10J4RS and the EW series!)

I rest my case.

chris adams

Why would you ever call that engine "race bread"? It never raced in any professional events to my knowledge.

Whereas the XU9J4 did PLENTY of racing in EVERY discipline - BTCC, WRC (205, 206 and even early 307 coupes!)

Surely there was a GOOOD reason the race team engineers preferred the old XU9J4 over the more modern XU10J4, XU10J4RS and the EW series!)

I rest my case.

im on about the 205 t16 that won a couple of championships and the 405 t16 coupe that won the dakar that engine not the road going 405 t16 engine. seems we are all getting mixed up with these posts.

chris adams
Oh, sorry mate - my bad. Then you're 100% right.

dont woory about it no harm done

Edited by mi8 turbo

Sign in to follow this