• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ScoobyJawa

Leather Dye

ScoobyJawa

Anyone tried leather dye to fill in where some cracks show but aren't bad enough to re-trim?

Eg bolster in ok condition but just a few lines that if filled in would make the seat look much better? Using this sort of stuff:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TheScratchDoctor/Leather-Repair-/_i.html?_fsub=1970209017&_sid=358705047&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

any experiences welcomed!

Cheers

Neil

stufarri

I can't see the picure but I bought some leather cream that restores the original colour - black in my case for the 1.9 leathers.

The bugger is getting the leather coloured without it touching the stitching.

Cost about £10 from Classic Car Show.

MiniGibbo

Done right you can get leather to look like new.

Bespoke leathering are really good but they are more bmw orinitated..

eastlondonpug

I have used Gliptone products (from Liquidleather) over the past 3 years on my phase 1.5 grey seats.

Basically, when I bought my car, the front seats were extremely cracked and looked very tired and so decided to try out their stuff.

I bought the leather cleaner, conditioner and the dye. If you look on their website, you can just put the reg number/model and I think and it will give you the exact dye you need. So no guesswork.

The way it works is that you clean the seats first using the cleaner GT12 (and some water), condition it using the conditioner GT11 and then apply the dye and wait for it to dry. Thats it. I think that they will provide instructions too.

You do not need to buy their expensive £50 kits that they advertise with some extra stuff thrown in. Just get the above 3 (250ml bottles and smallest size for the dye), use a couple of rags for cleaning/conditioning and a cleaning sponge for applying the dye and you will just be fine. Overall will cost £20-25 or so.

The results were amazing, I got the semi matt grey look on the seats and they looked better than new.

However, I have tried this process on the rear seats too (which are vinyl) with limited success.

I would post some pictures here, but don't really know how to!

ScoobyJawa

Any idea what the colour is called for a Phase 2 1991 Sorrento Green?

They have a couple of choices:

205GTI 80’s 90’s "Charcoal"

Peugeot 205 GTI, 1989, Dark Grey

Rich_p

Have a search on here, there was a big thread sometime ago where people tried some products and got very good results

Lowercase

i used some stuff off ebay on some recaros i got from minigibbo, worked a treat, they look like new so well worth a shot for £13 delivered. big pot too, got loads left to do my gti6.

eastlondonpug

For my phase 1.5, I ordered the dark grey dye.

I have never personally seen a sorrento green interior in flesh as they are rare, Im assuming that they are black/charcoal like the other phase 2 car seats? so not too sure which colour you actually would need.

Why don't you drop them an email with a picture and Im sure they will be able to point out.

Dizzee stuff

I too would be interesed if you manage to find a good colour match, please keep us informed of any details an results, before and after.

eastlondonpug

Dizzee, if you have the phase 1/1.5 seats then I can guarantee you that the dark gray dye from liquidleather is the exact match.

ScoobyJawa

Heres the pics from eastlondonpug

IMAG0184.jpg

IMAG0186.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

ScoobyJawa

This is mine:

IMG_0577.jpg

Charcoal or light grey that is the question!!

Dizzee stuff

Dizzee, if you have the phase 1/1.5 seats then I can guarantee you that the dark gray dye from liquidleather is the exact match.

No, I have phase 2 seats, I am a bit worried about finding a good colour match. I think mine are the same colour as scoobyjawa`s

ScoobyJawa

Liquid Leather reckon probably Charcoal, but my seats are not black like the late phase 2's, more grey. Anyone had the charcoal dye? is it very black?

ScoobyJawa

In fact looking back at some old threads it looks like that will be ok so I'll take a punt!!

Andy_C

Full on recolouring is essentially Connolising (SP)

Link to some work I had done on my E36 - and assisted with so saw the process for myself http://www.detailingparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573&page=4

To restore any seat with coloured stitching you'd need to mask all of it but I don't doubt the result would be stunning.

In terms of kit, the chap who did mine used a mini compressor and airbrush to apply the base and clear coats plus a scotch pad to prep the leather first.