• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danrogers

Cutting Out

danrogers

Hi all, today I was having a few problems with my mi16, it seemed to be lacking power and kept cutting out every now and again? any ideas? cheers guys

danrogers

its still doing it, the revs are going crazy on their own and it doesnt idle it just cuts out? someone please help!!

RobMGti

Sounds like alternator as, reading between what you have said, it sounds like the car will run ok it just wont idle. Get the multimeter out and start checking. Also give your battery a full charge overnight tonight.

danrogers

Cheers Rob mate I will definiately be getting the multimeter out tomorrow and have a check round.

Its a strange fault, when I tryed it earlier it started fine first time, the revs went to around 3500 on their own and it held there, I blipped the throttle and they came back down, all the way down and it stalled.

After starting it the second time it just wouldnt idle without any throttle and the exhaust gasses were smelling very, very rich wen i was holding the throttle at idle.

After this I blipped it once more and the car returned to normal idle and the mixture smelt a bit more like it should although it was running slightly bumpy? A unreliable source tells me that it could either be throttle posistion sensor, air flow meter or the ecu??

RobMGti

Very very very doubtfull to be the ECU, AFM will only go out if you have banged or knocked it. They do lose adjustment over a long period of time, which is when they need refurbishing but i doubt it will be that. TPS it could definatley be, get hold of a second hand and swap it. Also check the existing connectors on your present on.

KRISKARRERA

Unfortunately this is almost one of those it could be almost anything problems. No seriously this could be several things. Where are you?

Sign in to follow this