• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AlexRS2782

Exip / Gutmann Alloys - Period Correct Finish

AlexRS2782

I bought a set of deep dish Exip / Gutmann (BBS look) alloys earlier this year and I'm starting to look into getting them refurbished over the Autumn / Winter.

I was just wondering whether anyone on here knew what the period correct finish would have been back in the late '80's and early / mid '90's when they were supplied new / available as an accessory via some dealers.

From what I can gather via searching and pictures online they seem to have been either:

1 - Full silver.

2 - Full polished.

3 - Black centre with silver or polished outer rim.

4 - Body coloured centres (blue/red/white) with silver rim - but I assume this was an owner modification to emulate the Dimma split rims.

They're eventually going to be fitted to my phase 2 Miami Blue GTI, which has the optional dealer bodykit fitted, hence why I was wondering about the period correct finish, but equally which finish would suit the car best.

On a side note, if anyone has any pictures from their time of ownership, with these rims fitted / in different finishes, it may help too as some of the images I've found searching online have been replaced by the P500 Photobucket image when you click the link to view them.

Tom Fenton

I thought that they were gloss black with the face of the spokes and the rim diamond cut?

• Like 1

j_turnell

The whole rim would be powdercoated gloss black then the faces diamond cut apart from the small lip on the outer edge which is left black then laquered.

AlexRS2782

Ah yes diamond cut. That's the term I was looking for, not polished - I thought that sounded wrong when I was typing it.

I've managed to download a couple of high res pics of the Italian restored 205 Gutmann from a year or two back, so that should give me a decent reference point to work from.

Might also have to have a play in Photoshop to see what they'll look like against the Miami Blue paintwork.