• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nickaliath

[car_overhaul] Nickaliath's 205 GTI Overhaul

Galifrey
Is there any benefit to removing this pipe between manifold and vacuum pump? I still have it fitted on mine for what it's worth.

Just don't think it is needed, vacuum pump will provide all you need, probably justa fail safe if the pump breaks :rolleyes:

nickaliath

Yeah thats true.

any ideas on this connector??

not sure where this connector goes?

DSC02677.jpg

nickaliath

Connected up the battery today but for some reason the battery light on the dash is always lite up and when i turn the key to start it does nothing, you can just here the relays in the glove box click????

Any ideas??? is my wiring all ok???

nickaliath

just looked through the wiring again and have noticed this connection i have done:

yellow/green m444 permenant earth - Green/yellow M ignition amp

Im wondering if this is the problem, im gonna connect m444 direct to earth when i get home to see if that helps!!!

Paul_13

Are your still having problems with the exhuast manifold?

I had to put the manifold roughly in place before putting the engine in, then tighten the bolts while the engine was still hanging.

Was alot easier.

Sorry can't help on the wiring I bought a loom off Spiky

nickaliath

havent done the exhaust manifold yet, but will probably end up pulling the engine forward to get it on.

im determined to do the wiring loom myself, im gonna get the wiring diagram for the gti-6 loom then i should be able to work it out.

I did see something about the rev counter wiring needing alterations for the gti-6 loom?? is that true.

Tilly205

have you got all the oil level and other sensers fitted and the throttle body? and the alternator wiring

could be worth looking to see if its any thing to do with air con ... i have looked at my old 306 but cant seem to find it in the pics maybe check pug306.net as they should know straight away

Edited by Tilly205

nickaliath

havent got the throttle body connected but most other sensors are connected. but it should still turn over shouldnt it???

alternator is all connected, hopefully the right way.

ive got the autodata wiring diagram for the gti-6 engine now so i will have a look through that to check its all correct.

nickaliath

quick update, havent had much chance to do anything on car.

Im hopefully going to get a look at the wiring diagrams tonight. ;)

nickaliath

got round to checking the wiring today!!!! finally!!!

worked out why engine wouldnt turn over!!! i hadnt connected the ignition switch cable to the starter motor!!!! numpty!!!

anyway connected this up and it turns over, although my battery is shot so need to get another before starting up.

cammson

this is a really informative thread, projects coming along well.

I have just completed my 205 project but already have another... its a half converted gti-6 so this thread will come in very handy for me.

keep up the good work!

nickaliath

Yeah will do. And ill post up the exact wiring connections i have made so people dont struggle when doing diy installations.

nickaliath

Got the battery nice and charged on the 205 gti so today went out and had another go turning it over to start.

Got it turning over fine, injectors are pulsing but no fuel pump pressure!!!????

Tested the white fuel pump wire on one of the two multiplug connections, it had only 1.20 Volts through it??? not sure if thats right?? wouldnt have thought so.

Anyway i thought id pull up the hatch in the rear for the fuel pump connection so that i could connect a live straight to the pump.

The connection wasnt even connected?!!! i pressume this is due to the car being carbed before i had it, but still when i connected it nothing!!! i took it out and found that all the electric pump guts where removed!! pain in the arse so now ive got to get a new pump.

BusEngineer

How disappointing!! :angry:

Im sure someone on here can sort you one out to get it running

Get a wanted post up

nickaliath

The fuel pump turned up in the week and was fitted with no problems.

I had a good look over the wiring diagrams and noticed i never gave the loom a permanant live!!!! :lol:

The small live loom that comes off the battery and goes to the starter and the alternator was connected.

On the alternator end i had it connected to the smaller terminal on the alternator.

the alternator also has a connection to each of the two terminals from the engine loom, the larger one being the live wire connected to the lives on the main relay.

so i originally had the battery live on the small wire terminal which was causing the battery light to stay on the dash and would not start.

i took it off the smaller connection on the alternator and connected it to the larger connection to give live to the loom wire.

Finally it started up straight away on the key, hopefully these wires on the alternator are correct.

see pic below.

wiredalt.png

next step is to get the engine back out, get exhaust fitting correct and then paint the bay. ;)

welshpug

yeah that's correct, lucky you didn't fry the alternator :lol:

nickaliath

excellent, i thought it must have been ok.

Its funny i thought the alternator started getting warmm without turning engine over :lol: LOL

nickaliath

here is my gti-6 wiring guide that i have compiled. http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...p;#entry1036154

thanks to everyone who has helped me out on my car, which has enabled me to do the wiring guide :).

I will have a complete gti-6 conversion page on www.peugeot-205.co.uk as soon as its all done.

yippeekayay

Hi I am about to do this conversion myself..... how do you rate it, has it been relatively easy or a nightmare...I have a l reg with a snapped cambelt engine that been out of the car for 3 years.... any more pointers would be gratefully received...

nickaliath

Yeah go for it !!! the only thing i found a bit taxing is the wiring!! Other than that its not too bad really.

Main things about conversion i found are:

• exhaust manifold fitting (needs to be cut and rewelded)
  • Wiring loom
  • Brake servo clearances to cam cover
  • clutch type (i used a mi-16 clutch with 1.9 gti gearbox)
  • accelerator cable (some use gti-6 or universal type)

Edited by nickaliath

nickaliath

Been working on tidying the inlet manifold up today.

The only thing left to do is electroplate the bolts and its all ready for the end refit :ph34r:

DSC02822.jpg

SurGie

Very nice :ph34r:

Is the inlet manifold easy enough to take off, ie few bolts off then pull ?

nickaliath

yeah its not too bad.

once you have the wiring out the way then its about 10 bolts to remove.

nickaliath

Attempted to paint my roof today out under my gazebo!!!!

Not a good idea with the wind and rain!!!

I needed to do it though as the aftermarket sunroof has been leaking for ages and im fed up with sheeting the roof up all the time!!!

Anyway rushed through all the satages got the lacquer done, which all looked ok............ Then the wind picked up blew the sheeting onto the lacquer!!!!!!!!

Oh well, gives me more of an excuse to get the carport built!!!!!!!!

bring on summer

nickaliath

to add insult to injury looked out the window this mourning and a birds has poo'd on the roof!!!!!!!!!!!!!