• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

EricYellow

[car_upgrade] My 205 S16 With A Nice Little Garrett Thingy....

EricYellow

So....I'm Eric, I'm from The Netherlands and I've been playing with Peugeot's since about 2000.

Built myself a few 205 GTI's with turbo, a 106 GTI with turbo and a 206 GT with turbo for a friend of mine.

Also had some other cars in between, couple of Sierra Cosworths, Impreza, Nissan 300ZX TT, Sunny GTI-R etc..

But since I'm kind of stuck on the french cars (worked as a Peugeot mechanic for 13 years) I've now ended up with my 205.

I bought it with an S16 in it, 309GTI rear axle, 309GTI16 interior an EXTREMELY bad paintwork.

The car had about 3 or 4 different shades of blue, the roof had about no clear paint left, scratches on the car etc etc..

But since I'm more interested in the go-fast area I left the exterior for what it was and got started on the engine.

Somehow a Garrett GT3076R found it's way under the bonnet, together with a Vems system and a few other bits.

At start it was running on about 1,2 bar and had something like 340 bhp, the the boost got up to 1,5 bar and power was measured at 394 bhp and 423 Nm.

This was still on a road setup and not really setting the mapping to the max.

After a while I got used to the 394 bhp and got it mapped on the RR, results were a nice 466 bhp and 515 Nm.

I drove it for about 300 miles and then the gearbox snapped...the teeth of the 5th gear came of...surprise... :blush:

After a lot of finding out what to do about the gearbox I came across an ME5t box from a Citroen XM 2.0T

Fitting it was quite a b*tch but it's on, now hoping that it will hold the power better then the BE3 box..

Since the gearbox was already out I took the engine out too and decided to give the car a respray and fit all new lights, chrome strips etc..

Total costs about 350 euro's (about 315 GBP, so the respray was quite cheap :blush: )

I'll post "a few" pics about the total project below.

P1010366.jpg

Afb049.jpg

Afb052.jpg

100_027s1.jpg

16v_turbo_xu_21.jpg

13062009088s.jpg

13062009092s.jpg

13062009097s.jpg

Edited by EricYellow

EricYellow

15062009098.jpg

17062009106.jpg

17062009107.jpg

17062009108.jpg

17062009111.jpg

17062009109.jpg

18062009112.jpg

22072009119.jpg

EricYellow

05082009127.jpg

11082009129.jpg

11082009131.jpg

11082009132.jpg

12082009133.jpg

12092009155.jpg

12092009156.jpg

EricYellow

Hmm..looks like I can post more pics now :blush:

19092009198.jpg

19092009200.jpg

28092009209.jpg

28092009206.jpg

06102009210.jpg

09102009211.jpg

27102009219.jpg

27102009215.jpg

Edited by EricYellow

EricYellow

31102009222.jpg

31102009230.jpg

31102009233.jpg

31102009238.jpg

EricYellow

Need to sort a few thing out now, the speedo stopped working since the cable has snapped and I need to do some final things to the interior.

The wheel allignment needs to be checked/fixed, steering is kind of weird right now, take a right corner and you get extremely light steering, left corner...the opposite..

So I hope to be on the road in a few weeks.

Edited by EricYellow

DrSarty

Lovely work Eric. You should visit this place more often.

Do you know that cool fella Frank by any chance? He has a purple T8 Dimma. Great bloke.

Question>

What coolant expansion tank have you used please? I have a similar sausage shape one mounted there but it's from an old BMW (circa 1982) and I'd like something newer complete with a bracket like you have.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Your car must be a monster. :blush:

GilesW

I really like that. Nice subtle clean lines does it for me (except for the bonnet).

So..... what does it go like?

Any idea of bhp/tourqe?

bales
I really like that. Nice subtle clean lines does it for me (except for the bonnet).

So..... what does it go like?

Any idea of bhp/tourqe?

At start it was running on about 1,2 bar and had something like 340 bhp, the the boost got up to 1,5 bar and power was measured at 394 bhp and 423 Nm.

This was still on a road setup and not really setting the mapping to the max.

After a while I got used to the 394 bhp and got it mapped on the RR, results were a nice 466 bhp and 515 Nm.

I drove

Have seen the videos on youtube of this and it looks and sounds awesome!!

Also to GilesW, what do you think a car that weighs 900kg with nearly 500bhp goes like.... :blush: quite quickly I should imagine.

Edited by bales

pablo

awesome! Really like it. Is the bonnet a vinyl wrap?

EricYellow

@Sarty: I know who Frank is, he's got a nice collection of Dimma's.

I used the expansion tank from a Volvo 740, fits perfect and has it's own mounting bracket.

@Giles: power figures are: 466BHP/515Nm

EricYellow

@Bales: in the video on youtube it only runs on 1,2 bar.

Was actually quite slow then....well..compared to now I mean... :blush:

jackherer

Hello EricBlue :lol::blush:

Sounds like an adequate amount of power :blush:

As for the steering, do you have different amounts of steering lock in each direction? That can mess up the ackermann angles and make it feel different in each direction. You just need to take the steering wheel off, recentre it and then wind one track rod in a bit and one out a bit.

EricYellow

Does anyone know if I can just fit the 205 speedo gear/spur gear (or how do you call it...?) into the ME5T gearbox to get a correct speedo reading of will it eat the teeth of it ?

@Jack: nope, been driving fine before everything has been changed.

Subframe etc has been off te car, new wishbones hev been fitted etc, so allignment will be off a bit I assume.

Will check the steering rack/lock anyway just to be sure.

Edited by EricYellow

GilesW
Also to GilesW, what do you think a car that weighs 900kg with nearly 500bhp goes like.... :blush: quite quickly I should imagine.

Doh! - I should pay more attention when I read!

They are awsome figuers. Well done!

Having seen a few 450/500 bhp fwd cars, and been in my mates 450 turbo mk1 astra (very nicely sorted it was too) I should thinks it's completly mental in a straight line, but possibly a little bit interesting to drive on a track.

dcc

Thats quite an insane power figure and deffinatly something I would like to see arround a track! SoundsOfSilence built a bit of an animal but that was about 100bhp shy of your figure!

I dont remember reading any information about the engine itself. Is the bottom end anything special? also what PSI/BAR does it run?

EricYellow

@DCC: the bottom end is completely stock, just a decompression plate between 2 normal headgaskets to lower the compression ratio to 8,5:1 that's it :blush:

It's running 1,5-1,6 bar at the moment.

bales
@DCC: the bottom end is completely stock, just a decompression plate between 2 normal headgaskets to lower the compression ratio to 8,5:1 that's it :blush:

It's running 1,5-1,6 bar at the moment.

Ha ha thats a bit of a kick in the balls to the lots of people who think decompression plates are the work of the devil on a turbo engine!!

:blush:

taylorspug
Ha ha thats a bit of a kick in the balls to the lots of people who think decompression plates are the work of the devil on a turbo engine!!

:)

Indeed! Very nice car, just shows you dont have to spend an absolute fortune to get the results, just sound knowledge and good quality work will do the job.

Im interested in what work was needed to fit the ME5 box. Id imagine the clutch pivot etc?

sounds of silence

love the build mate :)

seems our power figures seem to be pretty much the same

as at 1.2 bar i am making 340 at the wheels but again on a very safe map as we use it as a track car

i will be upping the boost to around the same 1.5 bar after a wee while of driving it and getting used to the car

hopefully i should be able to see the same figures if not more

dave .

rapidcossie

so this makes 466 at 1.5 bar of boost?

you say the engine is stock? the full engine or just the bottom end?

the power does seem to quite good for the boost althougth after having some experience with turbo engine I really doubt the engine will last and cant believe it has blown, head gaskets etc by now.

what does an s16 make standard 150 bhp?

how was the power measured? Rolling road or engine dyno?

Would think it would be near impossible to get full traction for a accurate figure on a rolling road

Edited by rapidcossie

taylorspug

I think its been run at this spec since the start of the year now, so its not done bad really! S16s are bloody strong units, very similar to T16 in many respects. AFAIK the only difference in the top end is the cam profiles, and the T16 has sodium filled exhaust valves.

rapidcossie

if its so easy to get 460 bhp why dont more people do it?

rapidcossie

One reason Im sceptical is that if you put the same turbo on standard EVO, scooby, cossie engine and ran 1.5 bar it would be now where near 466 bhp and these are forced induction engines to start with.

Edited by rapidcossie

taylorspug

I dont know? Maybe hes the only one whos had the balls to give it a go? Saying that ive heard of a few cars on the continent making high 300s on standard internals.

Have you done any trackdays etc with it Eric, or would that be taking things a step too far for the engine with regard to the abuse it would get?

EDIT: I see what you are saying Rapid, although the turbo isnt the limit, it should be good for over 500 that unit, id imagine you would have to run 2 bar-ish to do this!

Edited by taylorspug