• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

[car_upgrade] Project Pug, 205 Rallye (my First Project!)

allye

Hi all, I'm 19 and have only been driving for 2 years! My first car was a 205 van which fell into my hands through my brother at the pricely sum of £200! I put a gti interior in and put some raptors on! Stuffed that down a small country lane but was hooked on the 205!

In march this year I found a 1992 peugeot 205 Rallye in Milton Keynes for £500, although i picked it up for £400. Towed it back to Wiltshire where the work began! I took some photos for my facebook album and thought I would share it with you guys.

asigotit.jpg

rear.jpg

Before I got this car the only mechanical stuff i had done was a service on my 205 van and changed the front brakes! Under the guidence of my mate (mechanic) I started the work. Firsly stripped the front of the car and taking out the engine.

oldengine.jpg

oldlump.jpg

waiting.jpg

I replace the cambelt and adjusted the valve clearences on the new engine, I picked up a SPI engine from the local breakers who claimed it had 34,000 miles on it, you never know! £120 wasn't too bad. I believe the SPI engine was 85hp? Thats with the cat, plus I have the solex.

engine.jpg

tappets.jpg

Incase you wondering what was wrong with the original engine (apart from them being fairly poor) the head gasket had seriously gone!

blown.jpg

Fairly shocking standard brakes, small solid rotors!

brakes.jpg

Engine went in with no problems, got the timing spot on first time, lucky I know! Failed MOT only on rear brakes binding, new cables and quick ref-furb of the rear shoes and she went through no problems. After a good few hours of t-cutting and waxing along with some new decals she scrubbed up ok.

rallye.jpg

allye

Sorry for my ignorrence but i have lots more photos! What am i doing wrong? I have put in too many or something? but I see other people put up far more??

Cheers, ali

DaveW

That will be 75hp, you should of got an XS engine! are you still using the rallye box?

BusEngineer

Looking great fella, i still really fancy a Rallye and a 309 GTi!! :lol:

The missus will be happy :wub:

allye

Yes I am, it was rebuilt 3 years ago according to a reciept. Although I have been offered a xs box locally for £50 with only 70,000 miles on which i will be investing in soon!

swordfish210

Shame you couldn't have gotten an alloy block, it's about 23kg difference between the two iirc. Nice work though, you are limited to a maximum of 10 pics per post so you just have to wait a bit then make another post with the rest of the pics in.

allye

Can I add the rest of the pics to the thread if i wait a bit?

It was the only decent engine around at the time, I don't mind the iron block, I have read the are fairly bullet proof!

allye

untitled.jpg

Unfortunatly at some point the drivers door has been sprayed (around the exsisting decals) so when I took them off there was a ridge of old paint left on and my new 'Rallye' decals are slightly different size so havn't put them on yet (any advice on what to do with that would be good!)

Picked up some absolutly mint 1.6 GTI seats for the pricel sum of £10 and replaced the drivers boulster, along with red carpet it cleaned up the interior! (original Rallye seats are shocking for wear as I am sure you know)

interior.jpg

After 6months trouble free motoring and 4,000 miles it started getting through water, a quick hydrocarbon test confirmed the head had gone (albeit only very slightly) so off it cam for a new gasket. Found the reason for the failure, the head had been done before and a small part of the original gasket was left on between cyclinder 3 and 4!

head.jpg

head3.jpg

Incase your wondering why the bay is in such a state is because a while ago I fitted a catch tank and the pipe was far too small, resulting in it blowing the rocker, seriously. Pretty much emptied all the oil!

After this I got scared and fitted a temp guage as the french are too stingy to give me one.

gauge.jpg

I saved my pennies and got some brand new 106 Rallye series 2 steels with some lovely new tyres.

S2steeles.jpg

new.jpg

verywide.jpg

frontns.jpg

They are wider than I thought! Will be investing in some Euro Rallye arches to make it legal soon.

I have some spax shocks with -30mm springs to go on as well as 1.9 GTI brakes. Also waiting to be fitted is a 309 rear beam with bilstien dampers plus a 1.9 GTI master cycler.

Will update when I put the rest of the stuff on, also I have sprayed the bumper inserts white now plus I have used plastic care stuff so its looking tidy, will add pictures when It finally stops raining!

Thanks a lot, Ali

(am really enjoying finally getting to use this great resource for helping me through the never ending build!)

EdCherry

Come to think it I see you zooming round every now and again, I pass through devize's every day. Good job, keep it going.

allye

I never see GTI's around here! Theres another Rallye around here, a yellow one. I like to think I drive sensibly around town!

Does any one know accurate figures for the Rallyes? Was it 200 in white and 200 in yellow originally?

Thanks, Ali

jonnygoodhand

Really nice project. Keep up the good work.

I believe there were 500 white and 250 yellow.

peugeotfacts.gif

EdCherry
I never see GTI's around here! Theres another Rallye around here, a yellow one. I like to think I drive sensibly around town!

Well I drive a 206 most of the time, throughout the start of october and all september I drove my GTi though. Might see me, blue 5dr with cherries on the windscreen :) I followed you out of devizes to upavon way one time too.

allye

Interesting document, where did you get hold of that?

I was prob on my way to collecting 2 of the 106 wheels, was it looking rather clean that day? I remember cleaning it before heading out. I believe I was driving carefully trying to get some sort of good economy, was on my was to Andover.

Ryan_B

Looking good buddy!! Im looking forward to reading your updates in the future!

timmsy19

Looking tidy!. Keep up the good work ;)

Your going to have to do alot of choppage to the rear arches if your wanting to fit a 309 beam on.

Edited by timmsy19

allye

Will I!? What did you have to do, I'm only on 106 steels so not that wide. I'm not sure if I'm going to drop the back yet.

Cheers, Ali

swordfish210

I wouldn't bother with a 309 beam on a Rallye, you'll get massive tyre scrub unless you do a pretty major arch pull.

allye

arch pull? surely its the same as a gti arch? I'll look out for a 1.9gti beam then!

boombang
arch pull? surely its the same as a gti arch? I'll look out for a 1.9gti beam then!

Nope, has less of an arch cutout.

All you need it gti bars and ARB if your beam is still healthy.

Or maybe take it as a chance to rebuild yours?

allye

I don't really want to be cutting my arches up! Also I don't have the skills to rebuild mine with 1.9 gti parts, will sell the 309 beam and get a 205 one i think.

Ali

allye

Brief update,

Forgot to say when I put the new engine in I rebuilt the carb (£50 rebuild kit from thieving Peugeot) and put a new water pump in. Any way couple of days ago I got round to treating some surface rust behind the head light, I hav't got any before picture I'm afraid as I was sanding down the metal in the dark using a flood light thing!

In primer

IMGP0028.jpg

Finished, great colour match I know, but the engine bay is filthy and no one will see it, keep the rust out for a bit

IMGP0032.jpg

Result of wide wheels and living in the country!

4.jpg

New boot picked up for £20 and delivered for £10!

boot.jpg

This means I have the boot for sale and more importantly the Genuine Gutmann spoiler is as well, this screws straight into the GTI spoiler holes FYI! I don't think it suits the rallye look.

All for now, Ali

Tandoh
Result of wide wheels and living in the country!

4.jpg

That looks exactly the same as my girlfriends Rallye at teh moment..but hers is yellow. The S2 wheels are a must, but never look white living were i live!

allye

Its awful! Clean it and as soon as I go down a remotely small road it just gets covered again, Will be getting some euro rallye arches soon. Hopefully this will go some way to help it, also its getting dropped 30mm, this may help as well!

Thanks, Ali

DaveW

Needs mudflaps

allye

Mudflaps don't look very good though!