• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
woo83

[car_restoration] Black 205 1.9 8v

woo83

hi im new to this forum and forums in general but i thought id share my project with you all

my car is a black 1.9 gti 205 on a h plate a mate of mine found it earlier this year in his bosses barn, it was in a bit of a sorry state but under the moss and hay you could see it was a good one (my mate reconed it had been in there 6 years) . although the body was reasnably straight and rot free there were some issues firstly although it was originaly a black non sunroof model someone in there wisdom had cut a nice big hole in the roof and fitted the cheapest looking sunroof you can imagine, ontop of this someone had sprayed everything metalic black including the arches, bumpers ect. It had no front seats and the rats had been at the loom

so the plan was and still is to completly restore it meaning a new roof, respray, re trimed seats all new running gear on the front and a rebuilt rear beam unfortunatly due to doing all the work myself and having no garage at the mo and no job progress is slow but it is getting there.

ill try and add some pics and some of the work already done soon

woo83

this is the only pic i could find of it when i first got it iv already made a start on the paint and had the beam of

S7300237.jpg

and some pics of the beam i dont like the standard needle bearings so we made some phospor bronze bushes with grease nipples

S7300232.jpg

S7300236.jpg

S7300252.jpg

allye

Wow, looks like you have a lot of work on your hands! Beam looks great.

Ali

woo83

some photos of the underneath done with black underseal and the 2k matt black over the top

S7300541.jpg

beams on with all nice shiny new nuts and bolts still need to put the brakes on and change the wheel bearings but its getting there

S7300563.jpg

this is the first respray i gave it, i was originally going to fix the beam spray it and get it on the road but due to the engine being worse than i though, i thought i might aswell do it properly. I did it in the summer under my car port it turned out alright but it could have been better i used solid 2k black which is fine but i recon it'dd look better with base coat and lacquer

S7300573.jpg

so knowing this was turning into a bit of a project i decided to get rid of that bloody sunroof, couldnt get a roof skin from peugeot (first they said they had one for £109 +vat and then totally u turned and said they dont do them anymore) so i had to go and hack one of a three door trio in the scrappy which was fun as it was purched ontop of a clio at the time. lol

S7300617.jpg

S7300646.jpg

S7300649.jpg

So thats the story so far im going to get cracking on the front running gear and possibly start rubbing it down this week ill add some more pics as soon as thats done.

Edited by woo83

andyjstone

On your picture of the underside of the rear beam, where the braided hose that goes around the beam fits on to the bracket that bolts on to the bottom of the car, how does the brake pipe fit to the bracket?

This bracket was all loose and floppy and rusted up on mine and after much persuasion I got it off, cleaned it up, painted it and put it back on, but the brake pipe just wiggles around in the hole!!

This is a pic of mine at almost the same angle before I managed to get the bracket off and clean it up:

under.jpg

Edited by andyjstone

woo83

Hi i think it originaly a clip that you slide in to sandwich the bracket between the nut on the braided hose and the clip, on mine its just a nut that treads on the end of the hose doing the same job. im not sure how goodridge do theres.

paul205mi16

Wow! at the roof, have you been getting help with this roof skin transplant? Done this sort of thing before then?

cybernck

Nice! What's the plan for the engine?

woo83

Thanks I'm going to stick with the standard 8 valve it had quite low miles but the rings on no 3 piston were seized so im planing a complete rebuild. I think ill hopfully start it after christmas.

Edited by woo83

woo83
Wow! at the roof, have you been getting help with this roof skin transplant? Done this sort of thing before then?

I'v not done one before but i'd heard it could be done so i just went for it. It was'nt that bad either just took my time.

chrisj21

Very nice work.

Love the underside too. How much did the phospor bearings cost to make up?

Chris

andyjstone
Hi i think it originaly a clip that you slide in to sandwich the bracket between the nut on the braided hose and the clip, on mine its just a nut that treads on the end of the hose doing the same job. im not sure how goodridge do theres.

In case anyone is interested you are right that there is a bracket which the end of the braided hose pushes through and then a clip that slides over the groove in the end of the nut to hold it in place. The brackets are no longer available (luckily mine is only bent and a swift blow in the right place should sort it out), but the clips are still available from Pug.

JackTar

Hi, I've got to say I take my hat off to you. What you've done so far looks great and it's not even under cover. How long do you reckon it will take you to complete?

Gentry_Ba

hi!

your restoration is very nice! a non sunroof gti in BLACK is one of the sweetest combinations, I think... :ph34r:

funny how things can be nearly the same: :wub:

your rear beam before:

S7300232.jpg

mine before:

25_k800_cimg6605_1.jpg

your beam after:

S7300252.jpg

...and mine:

25_k800_cimg6612_1.jpg

keep up the good work! :)

cheers,

matthias

Edited by Gentry_Ba

Adie_89

gd too see the 205 on here now woo!! :blush:

Ludi

It's absolutely awesome.Very nice done.

Keep going I'll be watching this restoration.

Good luck.

woo83

Thats pretty crazy. :rolleyes: your beam look sweet in yellow im wishing id done mine in yellow now.

woo83

Just a quick update for you all Iv been busy this week trying to get it all filled and rubbed down ready for primer but I did get time to have a look at the gear linkage not the most exiting subject but it had to be done.

S7300677.jpg

I managed to find some old sandvick stainless tube knocking round the workshop its the stuff they use to pipe chemicals around in so its strong and rigid enough I think its quite cheap to buy too. all i had to do was put a tread in each end and put the rose joints in, Ideal :rolleyes:

I also made some bronze bushes to replace the plastic ones in the gear stick and the selector and welded a tab on the main selector shaft so i can use a rose joint instead of the standard ball joint iv given it a lick of paint too.

thanks. john

woo83
Very nice work.

Love the underside too. How much did the phospor bearings cost to make up?

Chris

Thanks Chris. I think it was about £50 but we didnt use it all

dee205

Great work. Gonna look class when it's finished.

woo83

Hi all, another quick update.

steering components came today (track control arms, ends, seals & gaiters) fitted them this morning. I painted the rack housing with silver base coat and 2k clear in the summer but never got round to ordering the parts for it until now

S7300595.jpg

S7300605-1.jpg

Thought I'd add some pics of thew 205 in its current, very unflattering state.

S7300683.jpg

S7300682.jpg

S7300685.jpg

S7300684.jpg

Still a bit more work untill it'll be ready to primer but its nearly there.

Quick question Im going to be rebuilding the engine after christmas, Iv checked autofive for prices but I thought some of the stuff was a bit steep, Iv used peugeot in the past but there also a bit steep (and can be a pain in the a**e too)

anyone know a better souce for engine internals, i'm after pretty much everything (exept pistons, liners, crank Ect)

Thanks. John

pablo

QEP maybe mate, or Miles on here maybe

Steffrallye

Jonny boy :lol: what have you done lol,

na its looking great and keep up the good work, its not raining out and i cant see you working :lol:.

ill have to come and bug you again soon, well when the weather is right to spray this engine bay, and might have a head for you to skim again lol

ps - i can see my house :lol:

Edited by Steffrallye

woo83

Hi there quick update for ya, no pics unfortunately (lost me camera).

Haven't done a great deal to her these last couple of weeks with it being Christmas and all the snow etc, but Iv got the engine block all cleaned up and painted, the head has also been cleaned painted and skimmed, just need to order all the bits for it and i can put the engine together. ;)

Iv also rebuilt the alternator (new bearings anyway), And I've made a few little custom things like new stainless steel wiper pins (the bit that turns in the black plastic bracket), bored out the plastic bracket and put in some bronze bushes, also replaced the original linkage with rose joints. I know its overkill but i haven't been able to get near the actual car because of the snow, I thought I might as well tackle all the boring jobs that probably wouldn't get done otherwise. I'm going to have a look at the heater fan tomorrow as I remember it didn't sound to healthy when i first got the car.

I,ll get some pics up as soon as i get a new camera.

Thanks to everyone who gave there advice I phoned QEP and they were very reasonable, I'll be ordering all that stuff soon.