• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

[car_overhaul] 205 Refurb And Resto Project

Atari Boy

As already detailed on another thread, I picked up another 205 in the last few days.

f94bfa6d.jpg

It is a 1988 1.6 Gti in graphite. It is pretty much original down to the Phillips tape deck and the original plastic bag still on then dizzy. It is by no means mint, mainly down to the 209,000 miles on the clock. The sills were repaired back in 2002. On a positive note, it has been in the same family since 1990 and it has lots of history and every MOT the car has had. It has been off the road and garaged since 2006.

The car is never going to win a concourse completion but I would like to get it back up and running properly and a little tidier. I am not going to be able to rattle though the work quickly however and will probably start the major jobs it in the autumn when I will take my track 205 off the road for the winter.

I drove the car back 10 miles when I collected it with it just needing some fresh fuel and some jump leads, which can’t be bad for a car that has not been driven in four years,

As I see it, the car would benefit or need the following:

Plasticare the trim

Cam belt and water pump

New gaskets

Stem seals

Radiator

Driving lights

Headlamp

Wiper arms

Bolster repair

Alarm being removed

Discs and pads

New battery

Repair the rust in the boot

A dam good service

The beam is not seized but I can’t imagine it will be in great condition so that will need refurbishing at some point. The front end looks quite high compared to the rear, what do you think?

d2464633.jpg

Also, this breather pipe is not right, any idea what it meant to be doing?

234e8b7e.jpg

This is the rust patch in the boot, it is quite sold in the area surrounding it so with luck it should be reparable.

c48ec8d2.jpg

Finally, I am going to store it in barn for a few months whist I get myself sorted with my other 205. Is there anything I should do or not do in terms of storing it?

Thanks for reading.

Tom Fenton

Looks a nice original unmolested 205, ride height looks about right to me, standard cars do look to sit very high at the front.

MrG

I agree with Tom, looks very good there Jonny.

I suppose a nice std car is quite hard to find these days.

DaveW

I wonder how much power that makes after 209k and 22 years....

Atari Boy

Well, I have started with the small cosmetic jobs first.

Nasty rusty wiper arms

d8ef6249.jpg

Sanded down

608e5270.jpg

And all nice and tidy again.

aa6956c2.jpg

I used satin black Hammerite, which has worked out well.

Also, the Bosch wiper blades where almost half price with my Halfords trade card!

next task it the air filter cover which needs some TLC too.

Oh and a new bottle of Plasticare came in the post today.

DaveW

Good start i like doing these little bits too, they all add up in the end :lol:

j_turnell

Looks like a tidy example!

Look forward to plasticare pics, will make a huge difference!

chippy

nice find! B)

its the little bits that make it

Daviewonder

Looking good B)

spankyspangler
As already detailed on another thread, I picked up another 205 in the last few days.

f94bfa6d.jpg

It is a 1988 1.6 Gti in graphite. It is pretty much original down to the Phillips tape deck and the original plastic bag still on then dizzy. It is by no means mint, mainly down to the 209,000 miles on the clock. The sills were repaired back in 2002. On a positive note, it has been in the same family since 1990 and it has lots of history and every MOT the car has had. It has been off the road and garaged since 2006.

The car is never going to win a concourse completion but I would like to get it back up and running properly and a little tidier. I am not going to be able to rattle though the work quickly however and will probably start the major jobs it in the autumn when I will take my track 205 off the road for the winter.

I drove the car back 10 miles when I collected it with it just needing some fresh fuel and some jump leads, which can’t be bad for a car that has not been driven in four years,

As I see it, the car would benefit or need the following:

Plasticare the trim

Cam belt and water pump

New gaskets

Stem seals

Radiator

Driving lights

Headlamp

Wiper arms

Bolster repair

Alarm being removed

Discs and pads

New battery

Repair the rust in the boot

A dam good service

The beam is not seized but I can’t imagine it will be in great condition so that will need refurbishing at some point. The front end looks quite high compared to the rear, what do you think?

d2464633.jpg

Also, this breather pipe is not right, any idea what it meant to be doing?

234e8b7e.jpg

This is the rust patch in the boot, it is quite sold in the area surrounding it so with luck it should be reparable.

c48ec8d2.jpg

Finally, I am going to store it in barn for a few months whist I get myself sorted with my other 205. Is there anything I should do or not do in terms of storing it?

Thanks for reading.

looks quite tight considering

Atari Boy

Airbox sorted, again good old satin Hammerite and tyre dressing on the pipes

987cd41b.jpg

03bec7b0.jpg

Edited by Atari Boy

Atari Boy

I know this is all pretty low rent stuff but I did the front bumper today, Plasticare and T Cut on the metal trim strips.

819dc51e.jpg

42e8582d.jpg

c7b5d43c.jpg

I am having fun doing it anyway.

Edited by Atari Boy

MrG

low rent or not it's great to bring a tired example back. part of the charm of doing it IMO, well done Jonny.

Tom Fenton

Looks like it is coming on nicely, a couple of tips for sorting out metal stuff to keep the rust from coming back, treat it with Ku-rust or similar, and then use Acid-etch primer before the black. Makes for a much longer lasting job. Acid etch in tins available from Halfords of all places, U-POL gear as well which is pretty decent. Make sure you wear a mask though, as otherwise the acid in the fumes will mean you have a nosebleed everytime you blow your nose for a week afterwards (ask me how I know this...... :lol: )

PS

Looks like a new set of headlamps will freshen the front up nicely, they are not dear either.

Edited by Tom Fenton

Atari Boy

Thanks chaps, good advise there Tom, thanks. As I spend more time with the car, I find more and more things to add to my list, headlamps, driving lights, seat bolster, number plates, tailgate panel and badges, get the sunroof and passenger electric window working etc.

And these are the unimportant cosmetic jobs too, I haven't even started on the mechanical side of things ....

DaveW

Yeah but doing the cosmetic jobs make you feel better :lol:

zebedy101

I have your number plates, bumper strip and cutout of the boot to weld in place of your rust. It looks like it's coming along really well. Have you attacked the nasty alarm wiring yet?

Atari Boy

Well, tonight I thought I would swap over the tailgate panel as the existing one had a few cracks in it.

Five minute job I thought, I have done it a few times before so I am quite happy doing it.

The fixing clips were missing and it was secured on with sealant instead, very well in fact.

07b6d9fa.jpg

Underneath, the tailgate is like the moon with loads of bumps and humps, rust too.

e1ffc740.jpg

84d3c1a6.jpg

What a pain, my plan is to treat the rust and put the new cover back on with the proper clips (thankfully still available according to service box - 874219).

I don't think I will tackle the dents and they will be covered up anyway.

What would be the best way or treating the rust chaps?

zebedy101

I may have some of those clips lying about Jonny, I will check my tool box next time I'm home.

Richie

Looking great so far mate.

Atari Boy

Bottom of tailgate now has a few coats of primer, tomorrow I will crack on with the paint and lacquer.

9bf8c601.jpg

Plasticare sorted out the rear bumper well.

2a52849d.jpg

Henry Yorke

Looking good. I wrote myself a shopping list for my white GTI and then the CTI and just slowly ticked them off as I got them :D It is always the best way. You can fritter a fortune on new clips and bolts if you are not careful, especially the bits you can't see!

Atari Boy

I know what you mean Henry, although I have just bought a set of new proper Siem driving lights for £38 delivered.

Time will tell if they are what they claim to be.

Atari Boy

3654e7cc.jpg

I did not take a photo of my paintwork because it was shameful. Anyway tailgate trim back on (just due to distorted bottom half of the tailgate).

New wiper motor fitted (thanks Andrew) also.

j_turnell

Looks much tidier - Good effort :unsure: