• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gavbrum

[car_restoration] My 1993 205 Gti 1.9 Restoration

gavbrum

Supposed to be getting it back this week. Not building my hopes up though. I'll post pictures up when it's finished.

hillbilly

Were the wings ok?

gavbrum

Wings were class. They are getting painted tomorrow. Hopefully i'll have some pics up soon. I might have a nice wee drive up to Arbroath when it's back on the road and let you see. :)

gavbrum

post-15566-0-56190400-1331585733_thumb.jpg

Car is getting at MOT tomorrow. Painter will be doing flattening and Polish paintwork on Thursday.

I WILL be driving it Friday. (Hopefully)

gavbrum

Nice ride height with Bilsteins and Eibach's.

post-15566-0-26495100-1331586319_thumb.jpg

allye

Get some pasticare on those trims! Best stuff out there;

Linky

hillbilly

is that the wings i sold you?

• Like 1

Carbs4me

Get some pasticare on those trims! Best stuff out there;

Linky

My mate uses cooking fat to blacken his arches and bumpers on his mk2 Golf, weirdly it works really well, for some considerable time.

gavbrum

Bonnet off to get painted a 3rd time!!!!!!! I wish I'd hired monkeys to do this. I wish I had done it all myself.

post-15566-0-03401700-1332800505_thumb.jpg

gavbrum

Back home. FINALLY!!!!!! Needs more work but at the rate the guy was moving I wouldn't be surprised if you started going backwards. So doing all the trim stuff myself.

post-15566-0-58472200-1332800826_thumb.jpg

Will be posting all the blemishes etc tomorrow.

gavbrum

Now I've got the car back I don't know how to feel. It's very strange. A lot has happened in 18 months . Hopefully I feel better about it in the morning. I'll post more pics tomorrow.

post-15566-0-21534500-1332801195_thumb.jpg

Let me know what you think.

cybernck

It looks great! And a perfect shade of Miami Blue, going by the photos.

gavbrum

Due to the painter taking so long, and dodgy aftermarket front wings having to be replaced, the colour doesn't exactly match all the way round. I'm hoping that with the passage of time the sun will fade it a little and it will look a bit better. Overall i'm not completely happy. But then again I am a total perfectionist.

I'll post some pics to illustrate my point if it's a good day tomorrow.

Edited by gavbrum

mechanicalrepairs

Was it not a good day?

Carl

gavbrum

It's been pissing down in Scotland for weeks but i've managed to plasticare all the black trim, fit the red trim and fit it all back onto the car in between downpours.

post-15566-0-37272000-1334186863_thumb.jpg

Just waiting on some clips to arrive so I can fit the front trim as well. I'll need to drill a few holes in the aftermarket bumper to fit the clips for the new red trim. Shouldn't be a major issue.

As for the bad bits....

Over the last couple of weeks started noticing some real bad bits in terms of the paint job and panels.

Bent tailgate.

post-15566-0-15710400-1334187267_thumb.jpg

And after some gentle persuasion. Paint is now under tension so might crack at any time.

post-15566-0-01293300-1334187276_thumb.jpg

Poor paintwork

post-15566-0-33234700-1334187345_thumb.jpg

Not too happy. More bad bits to follow....

gavbrum

Painting over rust. This is one example of numerous bits around the car.

post-15566-0-78924900-1334187556_thumb.png

toddydal

who prepped the car mate as i have just been looking at your pictures and they have started rubbing your car down before stripping it out(taking trims and door handles off etc)which tells me straight away not right.the orange peel on the rear 1/4 just needs a flat and polish and the strut tops ground out and treated but you cant garantee rust never to come back unless you replace it but you can hold it back along time it treated properly.was it a expensive respray?if so give it a good going over but give the guy a chance to put it right

toddydal

sorry mate just had a closer look and thats poor prep work paint contaminated depending how many coats of clearcoat over the top they might get away with blocking it out and polishing it but i would check the rest of the car for this as there will be signs of attempting to remove it,if its all over the car and they canot remove it or rub through the clear trying to remove it it will need redone