• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tom_xl

[car_upgrade] 205 Tu 1.1 > Gti6 Conversion

tom_xl

Hi everyone, I've been meaning to start a thread on this project for ages! I bought the car two years ago and to be honest I've not done a huge amount in that time, partly due to being at Uni away from the car and partly because I'm a poor student (sympathy please lol).

Basically I only got this car as somebody my mum knew was moving miles away and they were going to scrap it, so instead I gave them £50 for it which was a pretty good price I thought. The overall plan is to do a GTI6 conversion as from reading lots of posts on here and weighing things up I think it's the best option. The idea is to make a road legal track toy so 2 seats, roll cage, keeping the dashboard though. This probably won't end up being the most amazing conversion on here as it's being done on a bit of a budget but it's a good learning curve for me as this is my first project.

Below are some photos from the first day I got the car so you can see what I started with:

post-15124-0-64037700-1328099892_thumb.jpg

post-15124-0-92469700-1328099972_thumb.jpg

tom_xl

After deciding I didn't like the seats, or carpet, or pretty much any of the interior I decided to strip it all out! This being my first project I naively thought 'this will be easy just undo a few bolts and screws here and there'. Oh how I was wrong! After much frustration with rusty bolts etc. it was done though and here are a couple of pictures of the interior stripped out:

post-15124-0-46271500-1328100318_thumb.jpg

post-15124-0-42518200-1328100383_thumb.jpg

While doing this I found under the carpet was soaking wet (which seems to be pretty common) so the next job was to try and fix some leaks so I sealed up the rear quarter windows and the windscreen. I also took off the door and boot seals, cleaned them up, rubbed them with vaseline and re-fitted them. I also removed the original window rubbers on the doors and fitted some new ones. Already this was starting to be more work than I originally thought!

After doing these boring jobs I decided I wanted to something a bit more interesting so I got hold of some gti valances and fitted them:

post-15124-0-24943300-1328100792_thumb.jpg

post-15124-0-10329900-1328100856_thumb.jpg

Not a massive job but I think it makes the car look much better.

During fitting these I found a few patches of surface rust behind the bumpers and underneath the car so I treated them (more boring jobs lol).

chipstick

Fair play. Be a good thing to tinker with to keep you busy.

GTi valances smarten it up a great deal for the low cost.

Get yourself a bottle of Plasticare. Will bring the plastic trims up nicely.

tom_xl

I had to go back to Uni after doing that so nothing was done for a while. When I got back I decided to buy a safety devices roll cage, which has been sat in the car for ages and it still isn't welded in as I'm still waiting for a mate to come round and weld the plates! In retrospect I probably should have got on with some other jobs but oh well. I also removed the engine:

post-15124-0-16638600-1328101391_thumb.jpg

Again after this a very long time went by without me really doing anything to the car, partly because I had no money and partly because I had become a bit disillusioned as it was becoming a much bigger project than I originally thought. Also it would be much easier if I had a garage to work in!

During last summer I set about removing the rear beam, fuel tank, front subframe and suspension and all the brakes and brake pipes (all of which I still need to get rid of!). No pics of the car in this state but it's not very interesting anyway!

Over the Christmas holiday I set about getting on with this project a bit more so I have now cleaned and undersealed the bottom of the car and the arches, hammered out a couple of larger dents on one of the arches, treated some surface rust in the engine bay. Also behind the n/s headlight there was a rust hole so I had a go at repairing it with a fibre-glass kit. Not the best job in the world but this project is as much about learning as it is about doing a perfect job. I also sealed up the edges of the stupid leaking pop-up sunroof (I hate them if you hadn't noticed) which looks really s**t tbh as I did a rubbish job but it least its stopped leaking lol. I fitted a boot spoiler (I believe it was from a phase1 gti although not sure as I bought it ages ago and forgot I had it). The last job I did was to fit a new subframe which I got off ebay:

post-15124-0-10088300-1328102196_thumb.jpg

It was in pretty good condition, a few bits of surface rust and one of the drop links doesn't look too good but easily sorted. I have also just bought (delivered yesterday) some Gaz fixed coilovers and adjustable rear dampers. They are 2nd hand and on initial inspection seem to be ok and tbh they saved me a lot of money even over buying new standard suspension. Hopefully these will only be on the car temporarily (ish) until I can afford a nice Bilstein setup but the main priority is getting it on the road right now.

post-15124-0-64874400-1328102668_thumb.jpg

There are a couple of things concerning me about these but not massive things. Firstly one of the fronts appears to be missing what I think is the bump stop (rubber bit where the top mount meets the damper?) but I could be talking complete bull. Also while checking the rear dampers, the adjustment knob can be turned more times on one damper than the other (I wound them both to the softest setting before I checked how many turns). I dont know if this is because it is a bit more seized than the other or if I'm just worrying about nothing lol.

So this is the stage I'm currently at, I will get more pictures next time I'm with the car of things like the spoiler and undersealing. Any comments/criticisms/ideas are welcomed :).

tom_xl

chipstick you have reminded me of something else I've done lol. I bought a bottle of plasticare and started dying all the grey interior black. I've done the door cards and a few other interior bits and I think it looks so much better. I've used a whole bottle already and have another ready to go I love that stuff!

allye

You've got a good amount of work to be getting on with! You've already got the sub frame, but you also need BE3 gear rod and linkages as its all different to TU engined cars. You'll also need a GTI tank with fuel pump in. Good luck! Love it when poverty spec models get some TLC, should be a right sleeper!

tom_xl

I'm watching a tank on ebay atm but to be honest I'd like to try and get one cheaper if I can so I think a trip to the scrappy is in order soon! I've already got rid of my old linkages, need to get some new ones at some point just debating whether to go standard or get uprated rose jointed ones. Not in too much of a rush though as I probably won't be fitting an engine until June, still have lots to be getting on with in the mean time :).

I'm guessing I'll also need new fuel lines for injection but don't really know the best place to get them from :S

Edited by tom_xl

allye

I'm guessing I'll also need new fuel lines for injection but don't really know the best place to get them from :S

Yes, you need to run new fuel lines on the o/s of the car as TU cars ran them on the n/s. The steel fuel lines are still available from pug I believe as is something I need to do at some point. At current I run full length rubber lines, 10mm ID feed and 8mm ID return on the 6' engine. Some people don't like this as a stone could split the pipe or something but my opinion is the rubber lines are so thick I can't see this happening. Rubber lines can also give a slight smell of petrol, but I haven't noticed this.

tom_xl

Thanks for that reply allye thats really useful. Are there fixing points already on the base model shell to run fuel lines on the o/s? I'm 90 miles away from the car at the moment so I can't look lol.

I think I agree with you on the thickness of the rubber lines I can't see them splitting that easily. If I remember to find out how much steel fuel lines are I can let you know if you like?

allye

Thanks for that reply allye thats really useful. Are there fixing points already on the base model shell to run fuel lines on the o/s? I'm 90 miles away from the car at the moment so I can't look lol.

There is yes, there are the mounting holes in the floor for XU & TU cars, you can still buy the plastic pipe holders from Peugeot. I used stainless P clips and stainless nuts, bolts and washers though. A lot more tidy, I really dislike the fiddly plastic thinkgs :lol:

Image040.jpg

tom_xl

Thats looks pretty tidy actually I might do that too! I haven't been in touch with Peugeot but found some stainless steel braided fuel hose on ebay for about £10 a meter so may go with that when I get round to it.

welshpug

I wouldn't use flexible hose under the vehicle.

tom_xl

I wouldn't use flexible hose under the vehicle.

Any particular reason? I get that it may split if a stone or something hits it but I think its unlikely.

stef205

I used b&q 10mm micro bore pipe, been on the car for 2yrs now, I don't believe in that it will rot from the fuel.

tom_xl

I used b&q 10mm micro bore pipe, been on the car for 2yrs now, I don't believe in that it will rot from the fuel.

Thanks, another option to consider. Was just doing a bit of research and it looks like a few people have also done this sort of thing.

stef205

Thanks, another option to consider. Was just doing a bit of research and it looks like a few people have also done this sort of thing.

its the cheaper option too ;)

pugpete1108

I'm watching a tank on ebay atm but to be honest I'd like to try and get one cheaper if I can so I think a trip to the scrappy is in order soon! I've already got rid of my old linkages, need to get some new ones at some point just debating whether to go standard or get uprated rose jointed ones. Not in too much of a rush though as I probably won't be fitting an engine until June, still have lots to be getting on with in the mean time :).

i have a gti tank here doing nothing, no pump though unfortunatly. am going to hastings sunday to look at a vts so if you want you can meet and have it for beer money?

pete

Edited by pugpete1108

tom_xl

its the cheaper option too ;)

I'm always in for a bargain haha!

tom_xl

i have a gti tank here doing nothing, no pump though unfortunatly. am going to hastings sunday to look at a vts so if you want you can meet and have it for beer money?

pete

Ok cool, I'm assuming it's pretty straight forward to put a new pump in but getting hold of one cheap may be an issue.

pugpete1108

Ok cool, I'm assuming it's pretty straight forward to put a new pump in but getting hold of one cheap may be an issue.

only six bolts under the rear seat two hoses and a leccy plug and the pump is out.

to be fair though if you have a gti local then it may prove easier to get the lot at once as i see you are a way from hastings anyway.

cant quite remember if they differed from ph1 to 2 though?

this is a ph 1 or 1.5 one

pm me your phone number if you still want it and i'll let you know the score for sunday.

pete

tom_xl

only six bolts under the rear seat two hoses and a leccy plug and the pump is out.

to be fair though if you have a gti local then it may prove easier to get the lot at once as i see you are a way from hastings anyway.

cant quite remember if they differed from ph1 to 2 though?

this is a ph 1 or 1.5 one

pm me your phone number if you still want it and i'll let you know the score for sunday.

pete

I'm not heading back to Sussex for a couple of weeks so I won't make any promises and mess you around! If you still have it then I may take it off your hands if the price is good ;)

GeorgeXS

This looks to be shaping up well tom!

I saw on Camerons thread you are at brookes, me too!

If you are doing a group project on bamboo for the FS car, are you in a group with Jamie Johnston by any chance? He's a good mate of mine.

steve@cornwall

If you are doing a group project on bamboo for the FS car, are you in a group with Jamie Johnston by any chance? He's a good mate of mine.

OI! stop making me feel old....... my son's at Brookes - if you've used the safety bus, you've likely met him!

:rolleyes:

tom_xl

Oh cool what you doing at brookes? No I'm not I'm afraid, theres about 6 groups doing the same project I think but all going down slightly different routes.

tom_xl

OI! stop making me feel old....... my son's at Brookes - if you've used the safety bus, you've likely met him!

:rolleyes:

Oh right haha! Can you ask him why they won't drop me at the Forest Hill bus stop on the A40 anymore?! I was told by someone on the phone its not in their zone anymore even though its on the road between the campuses lol. Anyway, rant over :lol: