• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tom_xl

[car_upgrade] 205 Tu 1.1 > Gti6 Conversion

steve@cornwall

Oh right haha! Can you ask him why they won't drop me at the Forest Hill bus stop on the A40 anymore?! I was told by someone on the phone its not in their zone anymore even though its on the road between the campuses lol. Anyway, rant over :lol:

I'll ask him! I do know they have trouble with the council with zoning......apparently one of the influential councillors is a taxi driver! who see the safety bus as taking their income..... I know he sometimes gets frustrated by this- its staffed entirely by volunteers, too. He's Mike, the big dude with the glasses - say hi!!!

tom_xl

I think I've chatted to him before, I used to get the safety bus a lot last year! That doesnt suprise me actually, completely ridiculous though as it stops the safety bus serving all the students but I guess their hands are tied. I promise I won't report him to the council if he drops me there haha!

GeorgeXS

OI! stop making me feel old....... my son's at Brookes - if you've used the safety bus, you've likely met him!

:rolleyes:

Hahah ahh the safety bus, many good memories! What does he do?

Oh cool what you doing at brookes? No I'm not I'm afraid, theres about 6 groups doing the same project I think but all going down slightly different routes.

I'm second year Automotive Engineering. Fair enough, I think he's doing it on the chassis itself.

tom_xl

I'm second year Automotive Engineering. Fair enough, I think he's doing it on the chassis itself.

I would strongly recommend working as hard as you can this year, I didn't and I'm paying the price a bit now lol. U going on placement?

steve@cornwall

he's doing computer science (yup, a geek :) )

GeorgeXS

I would strongly recommend working as hard as you can this year, I didn't and I'm paying the price a bit now lol. U going on placement?

Yeah i've been working pretty damn hard so far, seems to be paying off mostly, getting firsts for a lot of my work atm so quite happy! Hopefully yes, in the middle of applying and hearing back from companies right now.

tom_xl

Got a new fuel tank and front hubs today, thanks Baz! I'll hopefully get these fitted next weekend and get some more photos of other things I've done too :)

steve@cornwall

re safety -bus........ not supposed to stop outside ring-road, except to campus, apparently...hope this helps ;)

tom_xl

Ah ok fair enough I'll stop moaning about it :lol:

tom_xl

Just a quick update with some photos from stuff done a while ago and this weekend.

Here's a couple of photos of the car after I undersealed it:

MidSussex-20120212-00277.jpg

MidSussex-20120212-00281.jpg

I was quite pleased with how the wheel arches look.

Here's a photo of the spoiler I fitted a while ago:

MidSussex-20120212-00275.jpg

New subframe fitted:

MidSussex-20120212-00279.jpg

New front suspension and hubs fitted:

MidSussex-20120212-00278.jpg

I doubt I'll get much done over the next few weeks as I'm busy and have no money but I will update again when I can.

tom_xl

Just a quick update to keep the thread going really. This project is going in a slightly different direction now as I've just purchased an mi16 engine which should be delivered next week. Bit of a change to the gti6 planned but it was a good price and from what I've heard it's slightly easier to fit! I'll update properly next week when I'm back home and Uni is finished. Also, there are a few bits I still need for this conversion so please take a look at the wanted section :lol:

S@m

I'd say the mi16 is the slightly harder to fit, given that it has more or less the same exhaust issues as the Gti6 but also has inlet clearance issues which the gti6 has less of. Aside from that they are similar really. Enjoying the project so far, nothing is more daunting than your first project and you're doing better than i did!

Sam

tom_xl

Oh no don't tell me that, tell me its going to be really easy lol! I've been thinking about the inlet and chopping the rad cowling should sort that hopefully, and a nice reangled exhaust manifold should do the trick on that side of things (he says confidently :S). Although I have heard you can get shortened inlet manifolds which sounds interesting if the price is good. We will see how well I'm doing next week when my engine and brakes turn up haha!

welshpug

you do know those dampers are on the wrong sides right?

S@m

Although I have heard you can get shortened inlet manifolds which sounds interesting if the price is good.

Another option is putting a gti6 inlet on the mi16 engine, it requires a bit of modification but has been done a few times - have a search around on here and you'll find it. I haven't yet done it myself but when i get round to putting an mi16 in my own 205 i am going to try it.

tom_xl

you do know those dampers are on the wrong sides right?

Doh! I did think that after I put them on actually, haven't got round to swapping them over yet.

tom_xl

Another option is putting a gti6 inlet on the mi16 engine, it requires a bit of modification but has been done a few times - have a search around on here and you'll find it. I haven't yet done it myself but when i get round to putting an mi16 in my own 205 i am going to try it.

Not a bad idea that, I'll see what the engine comes with as its been in a 205 before and go from there I reckon.

tom_xl

Been a while since I've updated this thread so here's a quick update of what I've done. Engine and gearbox are now in, wiring is still to be done though, steering rack is in, new radiator and header tank, painted the front grill, new steering wheel and probably some other small and boring bits I've forgotten about. I will add some nice pictures when I get round to it.

I fitted some new tre's today and went to fit some new drop links when I came across a problem. I don't know how I didn't notice before but I think I've been sold a pair of struts that are both for the drivers side as the tab for the drop links seems to be the same on both sides if you see what I mean. I've uploaded a couple of pictures and hopefully I am wrong!

IMG-20120922-00347_zpsd3a7dd5a.jpg

That is the drivers side which I feel is correct.

IMG-20120922-00348_zps84289d0a.jpg

And that is the passenger side which looks like another drivers side strut to me?

Please note I am yet to move the brake hoses they are not staying like that lol!

Any opinions on this situation are greatly appreciate, especially as I'm a bit stuck and can't afford some new struts.

allye

Looks as though you have them on the incorrect sides.

tom_xl

Does it? I hope so that would solve my problem easier, however I did a search and found pictures of other struts and the drivers side looks the same as mine? Like I say I hope I'm wrong but they looked identical.

tom_xl

Both the struts I have on look identical to me, am I going mad?!

Paul_13

Both struts do indeed look the same sided :(

Anthony

As above, that's wrong and you've got two O/S struts by the looks of things.

tom_xl

Just as I thought, thanks for confirming guys. Now I have a dilemma, would cutting the tab off and welding it the other way round work, or shall I just get rid of the arb completely? The springs are stiffer than standard but to be honest I don't know how much stiffer...

Anthony

Can you not just return them to whoever you bought them from and get a refund/replacement?

I'm not personally convinced with the idea of removing the ARB at the sort of modest spring rates best suited for a road car.