• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dicky20014

[car_upgrade] My Dream 205 - Mi16 On Bodies

MiniGibbo

Great project but does baffle me a little bit why youd bin the white shell just because its not the colour you wanted as first choice..?

Your car, your call though so.....

BERTMAN

Great project but does baffle me a little bit why youd bin the white shell just because its not the colour you wanted as first choice..?

Your car, your call though so.....

not difficult at all really; hard life shell vs freshly painted and very nice shell. The OP has already stated he wants to sell the white shell so i can't see the problem.

Nice thread by the way

• Like 1

Chris_Mi

Looking good Rich, keep up the good work!

trying to scratch as little as possible!

Yikes!!!!! :o Take care bud!!!!

Edited by Chris_Mi

feb

I enjoy reading this thread, great spec engine and you seem to have found a mint miami shell, the engine looks great in there!

dicky20014

Thanks guys, Bertman, that pretty much sums it up! Probably should have mentioned ive bought alot of new parts aswell, upgrading it all as I transfer the best bits across, new coolant / oil pipes, gaskets, proper catch tank, uprated engine mounts, alarm system, re done some of the wiring and re-sheathed it all to protect it better against the heat, miles rods and bushes etc, new suspension, the list goes on :).

Don't worry chris, the engine bay still looks amazing, just had to modify it slightly to fit the exhaust manifold. I found that brake compensator too which was a bonus, cheers!

In my aim to make this car as daily driveable as possible, as well as a weekend and occasional track toy, (my only methods of transport will be this and a motorbike if possible) I was toying with the idea of getting a second map put on the ecu. So its an emerald ecu, and i have a switch you can plug in to change to different maps, my idea being keep the current 'wild' map, and put a tamer one on for daily use. I know the turbo cars do this alot as they can turn the boost down, but:

1. Is this safe / healthy to do on a NA car like this?

2. What sort of map could I put it down to, is say 150 - 160bhp ~ 130lb torque feasible?

3. How do they do this? is the only way by retarding the ignition? And would this lead to any risk of pinking etc?

Hopefully someone can help with this, also.......more pictures soon :)

Edited by dicky20014

Mad Scientist

You won't want two maps! It will be nice and easy to drive steadily as it is, and fuel consumption won't be bad at all.

Nice project by the way. I love seeing how bits of cars and engines change hands and move around on the forum. The throttle body setup was mine originally. Enjoy.

DrSarty

I think the main use for multiple/switchable maps is as follows:

1) Turbocharged cars - silly > medium lunacy > normal - to suit the conditions or driver

2) N/A cars - normal/optimal map > restricted map - for when it's left at a garage to stop them ragging the arse off it and blowing it up

So in short, I don't think it's really of much use for the road with a N/A engine.

Edited by DrSarty

dicky20014

You won't want two maps! It will be nice and easy to drive steadily as it is, and fuel consumption won't be bad at all.

Nice project by the way. I love seeing how bits of cars and engines change hands and move around on the forum. The throttle body setup was mine originally. Enjoy.

I had a drive when it was in the white shell and it was pretty lively! Not too easy driving round town thats why I was thinking about the 2 maps. Its a very good setup, the torque figure these bodies have helped to achieve is impressive!

I think the main use for multiple/switchable maps is as follows:

1) Turbocharged cars - silly > medium lunacy > normal - to suit the conditions or driver

2) N/A cars - normal/optimal map > restricted map - for when it's left at a garage to stop them ragging the arse off it and blowing it up

So in short, I don't think it's really of much use for the road with a N/A engine.

So its not really healthy to have the car 'tuned down' to drive? Or more that it wouldnt feel right to drive? It would mainly be for just going to work etc when I wasnt using the motorbike, then would obviously have it back to standard for spirited driving

welshpug

realistically you dont need to have two maps, tuned properly with enough load sites populated a single map will do everything two or three separate maps will do, just use less revs and or throttle if you dont want the power+fuel consumption, simples!

granted a boosted application with an ecu controlled boost level can be handy, bit with n-a you can easily get into dangerous lean or rich situations as there'snot much else you can play with other than retarding the ignition.

dicky20014

Thats cleared it up for me thanks, I wasnt sure if retarding the ignition was the only way, no I dont want to get into incorrect fueling to tame the power down, will just have to go easy with the lead foot :)

BlueBolt

will just have to go easy with the lead foot :)

Good luck with that!! :lol:

dicky20014

bit of engine plumbing, laying out roughly where I want it to go, catch tank should be here soon so will get a better idea then

post-9558-0-17087200-1337809210_thumb.jpg

dicky20014

Manifold now fits.....just! Though I've scratched half the paint off it fitting it as you can see, nevermind! Theres only a small clearance so Im hoping it wont knock on changing gear etc. Ive got harder bbm mounts all round now so the engine should sit a bit more ridgid

post-9558-0-75090800-1337810012_thumb.jpg

dicky20014

The backing plate for the throttle bodies has seen better days, probably with it being so thin. So thought while I was at it I would get new one made (cheeky foreigner) in hopefully 3mm ally. Marked up and ready to go

post-9558-0-01238800-1337810255_thumb.jpg

dicky20014

New wheels, speedlines in a charcoal colour with red tape, hoping these should suit the miami quite nicely :). Courtesy of tony205 in warrickshire. I had some goodwood style ones on my last miami 205 from him and thought they were pretty decent.

post-9558-0-86690400-1337810560_thumb.jpg

dicky20014

Started stripping down the suspension and fitting the driveshafts etc today. Realised that the miami has 1.6 hubs and the white one has 1.9 hubs so swapped them over to take the 1.9 driveshafts. These are thicker so I hoping they will cope with the power better? Plus the 1.6 ones are knackered anyway. Swapped over the wishbones etc too as these feel a bit tighter though still have a small nick in the balljoint rubber, doh!

Now all I need is front suspension, Ive been watching the forum everyday but no luck so far. Im after bilstein b6 or b8 fronts with eibach springs if anyone wants to sell me any? :)

post-9558-0-53734500-1337811389_thumb.jpg

Simes

Just going back to switchable maps, I have this,

Map 1 full power

Map 2 MOT map, leaned off at idle and revs limited to 3k

Map 3 economy and everyday map. Essentially the throttle is reduced from 4-6k rpm. Basically uses less fuel on the motorway.

All set up on the rolling road and fantastic.

Without map 2 it wouldn't pass the MOT. It is definitely worth doing.

Plus limiting the revs is handy should you leave the car at the garage.

Edited by Simes
  • Like 1

dcc

Bit odd that simes.

The map sandy did for me was fine for emissions, bit odd you need 3 maps :o

Simes

That's the way Emerald offer it to all, it's marginal for the em missions due to the hydrocarbons.

I took up the offer and am very pleased with it.

It gives full fuelling when required and less when not required, no brainer really.

I'm going to be doing 2500miles soon to the south of France and back, I'd prefer 36mpg than 26 if possible.

Edited by Simes

dicky20014

That sounds like a good setup simes, thats exactly what I was getting at. Emerald themselves did this for you did they? Do you mind if I ask you what sort of money was involved for this? I already have the full power map so would just need a tamer one and possibly a 3k limited one. How do they do this safely then? as I thought retarding the ignition wouldnt be that good for an engine,

cheers

Rich

dicky20014

Just watched right through your slideshow simes, good build, a picture really is a thousand words!

Simes

Hi,

From what I gather, and I'm no expert I have plenty of other things to worry about, the ignition isn't retarded, the fuelling is adjusted.

I set the rev limiter myself - you can do this by connecting to the Emerald yourself and twiddling with it.

My 3 way switch is hidden under the dash so out of mechanics view.

Emerald set the main map up - it is totally uncompromised.

They then simply look at the 'sites' and reduce "something" at the revs you requested.

The MOT map is done using standard emissions testing kit.

Emerald do all of this as part of their service.

Mine cost £305+VAT but their prices have just gone up.

Give them a call - Dave is very helpful and will give you all the info you need.

dicky20014

Cheers for that Simes, ill definately look into this!

dicky20014

Lots of new shiny bits arrived today :). Shame i've injured my shoulder so can't make much progress at the moment

post-9558-0-67128800-1338383861_thumb.jpg