• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

Oil Cooler Idea

Rob Turbo

I'm currently running my 2.0 turbo with no oil cooler, only done about 30 miles though! I've been looking for an oil cooler and can't afford one at the minute, well, not one that comes with the sandwich plate anyway!

I already have the oil heat exchanger bolted to the engine but it's not plumbed in, but I was thinking, could I use this as an oil cooler? If I got a small radiator from a bike (I think my mate has one in his shed) and an electric water pump would this work well as an oil cooler? I could run it on a switch so the oil gets chance to warm up.

I'm thinking if the rad can cool a bike engine it can cool the oil in a car engine!

Anthony

See no reason why it wouldn't work, although would it be any cheaper than a proper oil cooler? EWP's aren't cheap from memory!

Ryan

Just plumb the heat exchanger in properly. It'll warm the oil up quicker (which is a good thing, too cold oil is just as bad as too hot).

Rob Turbo

I suppose I could, but I'd have to find a pipe from the heat exchanger to the rad and modify the front of the car to fit the bottom rad hose that has the take off pipe for it.

welshpug

or use a gti6 rad, this has a takeoff for the heat exchanger.

what's the top hose connection to the thermostat housing like?

Edited by welshpug

Rob Turbo

I'm using the 2.0 turbo rad, which also has the take off for the heat exchanger, but I don't have a pipe that goes from there to the heat exchanger so I just have it blocked off at the minute.

what's the top hose connection to the thermostat housing like?

What do you mean exactly?

Sign in to follow this