• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

rikky

It is with regret that I post a thread about my gearbox and the judder/vibration I suffer at low revs.

I have the wrong clutch fork bushes in there (mismatched yellow/white), as per this photo, which I knew about when I reassembled the box:

clicky mcclickfest

In my defence, the ones I removed were the same colour, and the kit I got from Neat Car Parts including the fork and bushes also came with them mismatched. I was stubborn and thought it might be alright.

I'm going to take the box off tomorrow or Saturday to investigate my vibration I can feel when setting off in 1st, it's quite horrible actually but completely clears after about 1500rpm, it's just the low/initial idle RPM.

I've got the new fork bushes (matched white ones I think) to throw in and a new clutch release bearing incase mine is shot, but the car has only done about 3 miles on the brand new clutch/bearing etc.

It's a J plate originally, now running the 1.6 BE3 box with the GTi6 engine and right clutch setup (the 801042 Valeo one)

Only other thing being I have a BBM harder rubber solid lower mount which I accept will vibrate more but I think this is clutch related.

Anyone got anything else to add that may cause this? Closest thread similar to this was one that Anthony posted about yonks ago and ended up swapping the clutch. Not sure if something was wrong on his setup though or damaged.

EDIT> I also just remembered when I took the box off, that it got knocked off the pallet it was on in my garage. A tiny bit of the metal casing broke off around the clutch bush, just about able to see it here - clicky - so not sure if that could also cause an issue? We didn't feel it was enough to make the bush move when the arm was used so left it.

Cheers

Edited by rikky

j_turnell

When I converted my Xsara box I used a new arm and yellow bushes to get the correct offset for the bearing. I think it depends what year arm you're using whether you use white or yellow bushes. Worth checking the face of your flywheel if you haven't already. If the bottom mount is new it will settle down after a few hundred miles, Worth checking the condition of the bottom fork bush also, this often gets over looked. I would imagine the mismatched bushes are causing the problem. The bearing may not be appying equal pressure when pressing the clutch top and bottom and/ or not pulling square when it pushes on the pressure plate.

Miles

Those neat auto arms are rubbish, even the fork bit is no good, I'd use a OE all day long even with the cost. As said it does sound like the flywheel face

rikky

Today was the day I fixed the problem.. by simply nipping up the gearbox bolts about quarter of a turn more :D

Very chuffed to be honest!