• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rex

605 Srti / 205 Gti Conversion

johnrobertgordon

you can't fit any grill if you fit the 2wd ic without putting too much of a bend on the pipes going into the throttle body. I tried alsorts and in the end just gave up and ran without a grill. At least you know the ic is getting plenty of cold air.

rex

"I shall be getting rid of those fuseboxes in the coming weeks, so from whats been said already, it looks like you only need to keep a fuse for the lambda probe,.will update you as I go if you like."

Would really appreciate that Sam. We are currently comparing the two wiring diagrams here from each workshop manual - looking at your photo's in the project diary, you're loom is quite a bit different from mine. Will keep you posted tommorow morning.

Cheers, Rex

rex

Thanks Sam - found the engine code only to learn its the RGY, hence the 140 bhp. Bugger. :) The old fart who sold me the wrecker swore it was the 150bhp version.

What is the difference between the engines exactly for these precious 10 horse?

tom_m
Thanks Sam - found the engine code only to learn its the RGY, hence the 140 bhp. Bugger. :) The old fart who sold me the wrecker swore it was the 150bhp version.

What is the difference between the engines exactly for these precious 10 horse?

the compression ratio on the RGY is 8:1 compared with 8.5:1 on the RGX and i believe they use a different ecu too.

rex

Thanks Tom.

Has anyone observed a noticable difference in power between the two engines once installed in a 205? Coupled with the freezing brass monkey weather, this news has kinda spoilt my day :)

TEKNOPUG

It's not the end of world! Think of it this way - lower cr = more BOOOST!!

johnrobertgordon
http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...;hl=intercooler

Alex_G obviously found a way to, as his red 205 had the standard grille installed aswell as a cosworth IC

Yeah, he would have had a hell of a kink in the pipes. And kinks cause heat dont you know :)

rex

Thanks for the replies.

Tekno.... yeah, I suppose that is one way to look a it. :)

Ant

Rex,

Did you look at the previous wiring topics. You definetly dont need over half the wires goin to the engine bay, and the fuse board is over kill.

Grey

1 76 Fuel Pump

2 52 Reverse light

3 53 Reverse light

5 7A Alternator

6 M130 Earth

7 114 These two need joining together via a 20 amp fuse, they pre-heat the lambda sensor

8 114A ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

9 74 Klight ( not present on a 205, but you could wire an LED if you want it working )

10 32 main power wire for the main relay

16 ?? immob Don't Need This Wire

17 C85 immob - dont need - Bypass kepad via pin 27 on ECU

Black

2 Insulated cable (should have 3 wires inside) One of tehse wires is the rev counter signal wire, obvesiously useless in the 205 so again Don't Use

5 131J Speed Sensor

7 129C Speed Sensor

8 130C Speed Sensor

13 47 coolant light

14 30 oil presure meter

18 32AD Switched live from Immob

19 47A coolant meter

21 8CD Not correct 8CS - keypad wire only use if using keypad (these two wires stop the two lights displaying at the same time)

the above are from a 1998 605 - THEY may be different on yours. The 1995 605 loom Trevor stiles had was different.

The 2 brown plugs under the 205 dash contain

9 Pin Brown connector

1. Reverse light (wire 52, brown)

2. Reverse light (wire 53, purple)

3. Coolant light (wire 47, yellow)

4. Coolant meter (wire 47a, red)

5. Alternator (wire 7a, brown thin wire)

6. Oil pressure meter (wire 30, lilac)

7. Oil temp meter (wire 30a, white)

8. Oil pressure light (wire 30b, grey)

9. Switched positive (wire 2, light blue)

6 Pin Brown connector

1. Coolant fluid level (wire 47b)

2. Fuel pump (wire 76)

3. Coolant fluid level (wire M47B)

4. RPM meter (wire 112)

5. K-Light (wire 74)

6. Starter motor (wire 46)

Be aware that your 205 plugs also may differ slightly. Ive seen 2 variations on the brown connectors. CHECk the wire numbers and dont assume whats above is the same as yours.

The starter on a 605 probably isnt in the standard connectors ( ie the 2 black / grey ones ) - Its just a single thick wire. These needs connecting to Pin 6 on the brown connector.

Connecting the above should get you fired up.. Then its just a case of the lamba sensor and speed sensor

Regards

Ant

rex

Ant,

Thanks for that. I did look at the wiring topic you posted at the beginning but it wasn't as comprehensive as your latest post. As I'm trying to run a business here, the project has ground to a halt again but I'll update this thread as soon as it gets closer.

To refresh my memory - the RGY engine I have needs the Mi16 top mount?

Also, what boost are you running?

Best regards,

Rex

rex

Ant,

Sorry - I'm working in French here. What's a "K Light"?

Thanks, Rex

tom_m
To refresh my memory - the RGY engine I have needs the Mi16 top mount?

yes :D

tom_m
Ant,

Sorry - I'm working in French here. What's a "K Light"?

Thanks, Rex

the engine management error light, the orange one with symbol of an engine and what looks like a K in it.

HTH

Tom

rex

Tom,

Thank-you mate :)

I hate repeating myself but there are that many threads on this topic that it seems easier to post the question again rather than sift through the search engine. I can see why some regulars berate other users for not using the search function and starting another new thread.

Thaks again,

Rex

jim21070

Rex,

A great project for a great engine. Good stuff.. I'm following this thread with great interest.

On the subject of the K light. It is a good idea to have it connected as it does at least let you know if the ECU has stored an error code or is otherwise unhappy with something.

The standard 205 GTi instrument pack does have a K light already in one of the dark circles you can see on the edges of the speedo and tacho. Although you'd need to arrange wiring to it. My instrument pack even has a bulb there but is otherwise not connected. It would look quite neat to make use of it.

Trivia: the "K" pattern seen when the light is on is in fact a transistor symbol within the outline of an engine. Quite clever really, it points to a problem wuth the engine electronics. Almost as clever as the ABS Warning Lamp (which is also present on 205 GTi instruments) which shows a car in a skid. Someone had a sense of humour when designing the PSA vehicle instruments. The warning light for an overheating CAT is a cracker and totally unfathomable on first sight.

sonofsam
Tom,

Thank-you mate :P

I hate repeating myself but there are that many threads on this topic that it seems easier to post the question again rather than sift through the search engine. I can see why some regulars berate other users for not using the search function and starting another new thread.

Thaks again,

Rex

Thats cool with us Rex :D

Just got mine back on the road, all working sweet again, been doing the old 'any exscuse to go out in it' trick

incidnetally I finally fixed a water leak that had me worrying about HG failure for a bit, it was from the small rubber>metal pipe down the back below the turbo, maybe worth checking yours while your engnes still out, the jubilee clip was loose as it's such a small diameter pipe for them to clamp around.

Stil contemplating fusebox removal, as I should learn to stop fiddling with things ;)

expect I'll get bored though and pluck up the courage to do it!

How's these bottles of red coming along :D Do you ferment your own? I like a cheeky red, with my Horse burger and that isnt a lie :D

rex

Jim,

Thanks for your comments. I think an LED will do for the minute, especially as there is one already on the dash that belonged to a long gone alarm system - what surprises me with the donor vehicle is that the bump stop (think you call it that in English) was not present on this vehicle. Therefore I would doubt that the ECU could be locked (?) - that and the fact that the 605 was still running after the accident. I never turned it over myself having crushed the sump somewhat getting it on my recovery truck....

"Someone had a sense of humour when designing the PSA vehicle instruments."

LOL. I think he's working for Microsoft now ;)

rex

Hi Sam,

I'll try and get some photos up-loaded so you can see some of this. It's amazing the differences in condition of cars down here and the 50K on this one was genuine IMO. Not a spot of oxidization, rust or oil anywhere to be seen.

Anyway, I'm following wires back to source at the minute and am definitely going to keep the 205 fusebox. The only thing putting the brakes on the project now is the Mi16 engine mount which I haven't got (despite having chucked several over the years ;) ) and the Cosworth I/C. Ebay here I come....

"How's these bottles of red coming along Do you ferment your own? I like a cheeky red, with my Horse burger and that isnt a lie "

Heh, a man after my own heart. Raw horse steak with an egg yellow on the top and some fried garlic potatoes coupled with a good bottle of St Estephe....mmmmmmm. Living near Bordeaux (THE wine capital of the world) I'd have to be bonkers to be fermenting my own!

The track days will be starting again soon at Merignac (near Bordeaux) so if your ever fancy it....

Speak soon,

Rex

rex

Ant

Rex,

Check for play in the turbo before you fit..

Cuz getting to it, once fitted is a right ball ache ;) - as ive found out..

Im just having a break from taking my lump out today.. Going to fit the another turbo and look at tidying a few things up before i refit tomorrow

Regards

Ant

rex

Hi Ant,

Like I said, everything seems in really good nick which is why I decided to go ahead with a turbo project instead of the 180bhp 206 RC I was planning on and gave up on.

Sunday will be wasted with the missus but hopefully news in the week.

Cheers,

Rex

sonofsam

A man also after my own heart, will be getting wasted with the missus tomorrow also ;)

Good pics by the way, and quality looking 205 :D .. yes I may have to take you up on that offer, does it come B&B :D:P

Sam.

Edited by sonofsam

rex

Hi Sam,

Yeah, I've spent some coin on the old lass - you can see some of my other "projects" in the photos.

Let me get it running first before we talk B&B :rolleyes: Still in search of an Mi16 engine mount....

....as per the other thread herere Max's 205, what gearbox are you using?

Cheers, Rex

sonofsam

1.9 'box Rex, going to be fitting a TD final at a later date , should extend 3,4 and 5 by roughly 10%

because on Motorway driving it feels like you need another gear, not that I do lots of Mway driving :D

I had always been told a TD box on it's own maybe a little to 'long' for this application :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this