• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rex

605 Srti / 205 Gti Conversion

danpug

Are you not tempted to sort he problem out before giving up? Would be a shame after all the hard work is done.

Edited by danpug

maxi
Well......it just sh!t a big end.

Tried another intercooler. Tried another gearbox. My conclusion - this project was a money pit, it wasn't much faster than a stanard 1.9 and it would have been a load quicker with a 16 valve engine - and a damned sight easier.

Sorry to be negative but I'm sick of the sight of this heap.

I'm going sixteen valve.....

See you all in the new year.

Rex

I hope all the 2.0 turbo driver read this.....Ive been harping on for literally years now at how s*ite these conversions are. Decent GTi6 all the way.

Maxi

Rob Turbo

It's all a matter of oppinion though, I've had a 2.0 turbo 205 and now I'm doing a 2.0 turbo 306, I've had plenty 16v cars and been in 16v 205s and I much prefer turbos.

rex

I don't think there is a problem (other than the big end :) ). A different intercooler made a bit of a difference as did the 1.6 g/box but I just don't find it as fast as a GTi6 conversion by a lo-o-ng shot. Just gutted really mate, it's been one thing after another like some sort of jinx, despite the genuine low mileage of the donor.

I'm told there is a 307 with the 180bhp RC engine (which was what I set out to do originally...) homework time I think. The minds' eye sees throttle bodies, 6 gears and whole less messing. Watch this space...

All the best again for the holidays everyone....

rex

"I hope all the 2.0 turbo driver read this...."

Uh-oh....I'm in trouble now :)

Forgive me Sam......:D

danpug

I suspect that 307 engine is an EW series which means custom engine mounts, if you are going to the trouble it would be rude not to do a v6 :)

sonofsam
"I hope all the 2.0 turbo driver read this...."

Uh-oh....I'm in trouble now :D

Forgive me Sam......:huh:

:)

I'll be saying bye bye Mi, Sayonara '6

Happy Christmas Rex and Here's to a prosperous new year B) wich ever route you choose, may it be one that leads to a beautifull sun drenched beach

with free flowing rouge and Betty Blue playing on a big screen cine screen in the background :D

You can tell I've had a few spicy Captain Morgans and coka-cola's yeah B)

P.s - I wouldnt expect maxi to understand as He's never owned a 2.0T and it';s probably about time He changed the record , as Im bored of His original :):blush:

P.p.s Wouldnt want this thread to turn into some benile slanging match , so I shall carry on no further with the turbo v's valver conversion conversion's

Edited by sonofsam

gti_al
I don't think there is a problem (other than the big end :) ). A different intercooler made a bit of a difference as did the 1.6 g/box but I just don't find it as fast as a GTi6 conversion by a lo-o-ng shot. Just gutted really mate, it's been one thing after another like some sort of jinx, despite the genuine low mileage of the donor.

I'm told there is a 307 with the 180bhp RC engine (which was what I set out to do originally...) homework time I think. The minds' eye sees throttle bodies, 6 gears and whole less messing. Watch this space...

All the best again for the holidays everyone....

Bad news.

Perhaps keep an eye on this for inspiration?

maxi
:D

I'll be saying bye bye Mi, Sayonara '6

Happy Christmas Rex and Here's to a prosperous new year B) wich ever route you choose, may it be one that leads to a beautifull sun drenched beach

with free flowing rouge and Betty Blue playing on a big screen cine screen in the background :D

You can tell I've had a few spicy Captain Morgans and coka-cola's yeah B)

P.s - I wouldnt expect maxi to understand as He's never owned a 2.0T and it';s probably about time He changed the record , as Im bored of His original <_<;)

P.p.s Wouldnt want this thread to turn into some benile slanging match , so I shall carry on no further with the turbo v's valver conversion conversion's

Rolling start at 30mph, give an mi I have put together in std form with a shortened inlet and a 1600 box and I will be the one saying bye bye. Dont forget, I have never owned one but been involved in and driven plenty............ Experience is everything in this area. In fact, why dont I bring the 205 gti6 down and show you. Big words on the forum but I know I can back it up.

Maxi

craig f90

Rex, im so sorry it didn't work out for you. :D

Personally i was going to gti-6 on mine. But a 406sri came along at the right time for the right money. Half way through i found a gti-6 and an mi16 engine but there was no going back. I enjoy the boost of the turbo lump, but my brothers 306 s16 makes me :D every time. Rrrraaaarr!!!!! maybe one day who knows?? but that means id have 2 pride and joys. <_<

All the best sir, and keep us all posted on your next project. ;)

Crazy-legs!

Sorry to hear your not willing to go any further with your turbo, after coming so far Rex. Did you ever determine how much boost you were running before she gave up?

I dont particualy want to get involved with the turbo vs 16-valve debate for fear of getting chained to a post and beaten by all the local MI drivers! But the main reason i chose to do mine is because there have already been so many MI conversions done, and surely the point of modifying a car is to be different?

Another reason is that compared to an mi, a turbo is a whole lot easier to obtain. Not to mention cheaper! Whatever you decide to do Rex, keep us posted mate.

Cheers, Marc.

taylorspug

Lol at the '8v turbos are as good as an MI/GTI6' debate. They just arent, in standard form they shunt along well enough to 60, but then an MI will literally sail past (ive seen it, it was my MI!). Turn the boost up and the turbo cries enough. You will have to spend alot of money to get one past a really good MI/GTI6, spend that money on the MI/6 and you will see 200hp.

Maxi goes on about it because he knows the crack and it true, hes seen enough of them get pushed down the road by valvers! Hes only trying to stop people thinking these conversions are something they arent. Id certainly never recommend one over a '6 conversion, and if someone specifically wanted turbo power id suggest building from scratch.

welshpug

S/Mi16 turbo :D

:lol:

whizzer71

Well guys our last turbo conversion (Marks car) now done over 5K running 1 bar glows and goes like a goodun,so much torque that itll pull sweetly from 30 to flat out on the rev limiter in fifth with hybrid box ,yet to be rr'd but its quicker point to point than his 191 bhp 205 Gti6 and that was rr'd at emerald and I believe (unless anyone wants to correct me) that their dyno is pretty accurate,I think its all horses for courses but Ive had an 205 MI a 205 6 but my next ones gonna be a 8V turbo !.

I will see if I can get him to get it rr'd and then i'll gladly post the results !.

I do like the 6 engine tho would gladly recommend it to anyone !

Tris.

:D

rex

Thanks for all your replies. Heh, fightin' talk on my thread....who'd a thunk it. :lol:

"Id certainly never recommend one over a '6 conversion, and if someone specifically wanted turbo power id suggest building from scratch."

I knew this, ignored it, and have wasted a whole hunk of wedge.... :D hey-ho. Conversions on the "cheap" was something I used to warn other people about. Guess I just wanted something a bit different. I have another black, stripped out 1.9 shell here that the engine will be lobbed in when I've done the shells - see it sometime soon on Ebay ^_^

The RC conversion still looks too scary - but the GTi 6 with throttle bodies is looking like the answer to my 205 induced depression....and I think I've already sourced the donor.

Talk to you all in the new year.

Oh, and Sam....making me think about Béatrice Dalle first thing on a monday morning was mean and un-fair :o^_^

Regards to all, Rex

Edited by rex

Hilgie

Hi Rex,

Sorry to say, but if you can't get the 2.0T working properly, then the 206RC (GTi180) should be a NO GO. Even harder then the 2.0T/GTi6 install. You need custom enginemounts, convert to cable operated gearchange, custom radiator, custom ECU (as the GTi180 is CANbus) etc etc. The 6 speed gearbox is not a BE3/6 but a ML6C, so you would need custom driveshafts and a large chunk needs to be taken out of the subframe.

And if you want to use a 5 speed BE box then the BE4/5 from a 206 GTi180 is your only option.

Hilgert

rex

"Sorry to say, but if you can't get the 2.0T working properly"

Thanks for your vote of confidence Hilgert. I may be retarded when it comes to wiring but making engine mounts won't hold me back....

I have got the engine running correctly, right down to the damned K light working on the dash in the right spot, turbo pressure correct and having built it, like one of your own 205's, with all new parts.

I just don't find it quick.

In the slightest.

And on top of that, it's s*it a big end - the final insult.

I wasn't expecting GT2 performance but I was expecting it to be as quick - if not quicker - as an MIid 205 - which it certainly isn't - and to have fun on a track day with it. Still, it made a nice noise when you revved it up.....:D

Hilgie

sorry...Rex, I misread your posts then. ...I did not mean to insult you.

I just find it weird that you don't think it is quick, as in fact they are....Mi16 performance or better..even on standard boost. That yours isn't quick would mean there is something wrong with it...or running in limpmode maybe? Some wiring issues might be the cause.

jackherer
I just find it weird that you don't think it is quick, as in fact they are....Mi16 performance or better..even on standard boost.

I agree, thats certainly been my experience.

However, every 2.0t coonversion I've been involved in has been disappointingly slow initially, only after a process of chasing and repairing boost leaks did performance improve.

Rex: You say yours is running full boost, where exactly is the boost gauge connected?

rex

Hilgert,

Ik wist dat je me niet wilde beledigen, vriend. :P Well, it would have seemed most out of character for you. Surely if it was in limp mode the K-light would stay on? And I've tried a second ECU which made no difference.

Jack - between the inlet an the intercooler. Gague was a load of crap so it could be wrong - the Stacks one is still on order. I was going to look for pressure leaks with an inner-tube in the time old trusted manner until the problems started.

I've had a real good look this morning and I don't actually think it is a big end that's gone - despite it sounding like one the other day, when upon hearing it I gave up immediately in a bit of a tantrum :blush: . When I started it for the first time since (this morning) it didn't make any noise - and then started making the noise intermitently.

Just before the noise started originaly I was surprise to see a whiff of whiteish smoke out the back - something it had never done. I think now having calmed down a bit she must have over-fuelled for some reason and washed a ring out. And I guess that's even worse because I can fix the piston ring but still don't know why it's actually over-fuelled....

In my modest understanding, it could be a host of things and at this stage in the expenditure I'm not really interested in finding out. I've pulled the old set of trusted Weber 45's (now there's something I can handle Hilgert :P ) from the loft and am currently bidding on a damaged 306...the project, with regrets, is over.

Thanks again for your comments.

Regards,

Rex

bales

I am sorry that you have decided to not contiune with it as I do think they are a genuinely good conversion. I think there seems to be 2 different ways this conversion goes and I think it depends on how well the conversion is carried out.

If it is done properly then they are "much" faster than a standard 1.9 205, and I came from driving a very healthy standard 8v, and there is no way in hell that it would ever keep up with my turbo now.

I am not going to get involved in the 16v vs turbo argument as it is silly and its all down to personal preference. I think that people who think they are slow must have driven a bad conversion or one that isn't running properly as they really are not slow whatsoever.

There seems to be quite a lot of bull surrounding this engine and power figures and that the turbo's instantly self-detonate when you run a bar but in my experience they really dont! I have run mine from May this year and other than little niggly problems none that have affected the performance significantly and has been fine other than that.

Plus all this talk about mi16's being quicker etc....is all a bit silly and childish the engines are so different in charcterstics it isnt worth comparing really as the driving experience is so different. All I will add to the argument is that when my car has been running standard boost it is quite a bit quicker than our CTR which I have driven a lot. And when it is running 1 bar I have never been behind another car that has siginificantly pulled away from it and I have follwed a fair few quick cars!

Anyway my point was it "IS" a good conversion and I just think you need to drive a well converted one that is running properly.

Edited by bales

rex

Hi Bales,

I'm not saying it was slow. I just didn't find it quick, if you understand that contradiction. I've had 500bhp + American muscle - with torque figures that would make your sphincter wink.....that would get left for deadby a 300bhp Delta Integrale. A good few years back (circa 1997) I had a 205 Mi16 with Weber carbs and I know it was a lot faster and a lot more rewarding to drive.

Mine probably had teething problems I don't doubt - and I'm certainly no expert on these conversions. I just know I've had it up to the eyeballs with this one.....

....and even better, I was the winning bidder on the GTi 6 :angry: It's funny - I've just spent more money on a 20 year old hot hatch and my 205 depression has lifted?? What the hell is it about these cars that makes us carry on?? Gotta be something I guess....

I'm trying to work out if anyone will be actually interested in this new conversion here, but I'll no doubt be back to bore y'all with it.

All the best.

Regards, Rex

whizzer71
I am sorry that you have decided to not contiune with it as I do think they are a genuinely good conversion. I think there seems to be 2 different ways this conversion goes and I think it depends on how well the conversion is carried out.

If it is done properly then they are "much" faster than a standard 1.9 205, and I came from driving a very healthy standard 8v, and there is no way in hell that it would ever keep up with my turbo now.

I am not going to get involved in the 16v vs turbo argument as it is silly and its all down to personal preference. I think that people who think they are slow must have driven a bad conversion or one that isn't running properly as they really are not slow whatsoever.

There seems to be quite a lot of bull surrounding this engine and power figures and that the turbo's instantly self-detonate when you run a bar but in my experience they really dont! I have run mine from May this year and other than little niggly problems none that have affected the performance significantly and has been fine other than that.

Plus all this talk about mi16's being quicker etc....is all a bit silly and childish the engines are so different in charcterstics it isnt worth comparing really as the driving experience is so different. All I will add to the argument is that when my car has been running standard boost it is quite a bit quicker than our CTR which I have driven a lot. And when it is running 1 bar I have never been behind another car that has siginificantly pulled away from it and I have follwed a fair few quick cars!

Anyway my point was it "IS" a good conversion and I just think you need to drive a well converted one that is running properly.

Specially with a DKZ cam and huge alloy intercooler !!

:angry:

bales
Hi Bales,

I'm not saying it was slow. I just didn't find it quick, if you understand that contradiction. I've had 500bhp + American muscle - with torque figures that would make your sphincter wink.....that would get left for deadby a 300bhp Delta Integrale. A good few years back (circa 1997) I had a 205 Mi16 with Weber carbs and I know it was a lot faster and a lot more rewarding to drive.

Mine probably had teething problems I don't doubt - and I'm certainly no expert on these conversions. I just know I've had it up to the eyeballs with this one.....

....and even better, I was the winning bidder on the GTi 6 :angry: It's funny - I've just spent more money on a 20 year old hot hatch and my 205 depression has lifted?? What the hell is it about these cars that makes us carry on?? Gotta be something I guess....

I'm trying to work out if anyone will be actually interested in this new conversion here, but I'll no doubt be back to bore y'all with it.

All the best.

Regards, Rex

No worries mate, I hope it all goes well with the gti-6 conversion, that was actually my other choice when i started at the beginning of this year with the engine swap, though I decided (evidently) to go with the turbo for the tunability and noise. I just love the bangs and the flames and the chirps that you get - and the fact it just feels so damn quick.

It wasn't really about you saying it was slow it was just that some people on here seem on very quick to jump on the wagon about bashing this engine and how crap it is etc....which if you ask most of the people on here who have done a decent conversion they seem to be of the same opinion as me.

Good look and keep us informed of how it goes.

Alex

rex

Alex,

Yeah, I saw one a few years ago at the drag strip here in France that seemed to work well - only mine didn't and I didn't have the time nor the patience (definitely not one of my virtues) to get it sorted before another whack in the giblets.

I'm going 16 valve for reliabilty, for ease and for 6 gears. This thing is going to be ready for the spring.

Sign in to follow this