• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest MattyC

Gti 6 Gear Box (rally Car) Good Idea/bad Idea?

Guest MattyC

hi all

i am after a bit of your knowledge please....

About to start putting an mi16 in a stage rally car, currently running a 1.6 BE3 standard box.

the car gets used on single venues and flat out in top gear need to be no more than 115/120mph. (usually run out of road by then!)

Is the gti 6 box any good? i like the idea of having tighter gears to keep those revs up, ideally i would like to change the final drive though, any ideas?

How much lock will i loose and whats the best way to make a stop?

or am i just better sticking with the 1.6?

thanks for your time

much appreciated.

Matt

welshpug

the gti6 box with a 6 redline (7200 IIRC) will top out at around 145mph, so it is quite long top end wise, its also quite a long gearbox physically as you might already know, so not ideal for a rally car where manouverability is quite essential.

its also not the strongest gearbox, notably the diff, and its also more expensive than the 5 speed gearbox to source parts for.

Ryan

I don't think you can swap the final drive on the 6-speed either.

Discostu

i wudn't bother, u'll be changing gear far too often and u'l lose lock to get around them hay bales

Guest MattyC

looks like its best to stick to the 5 speed then.

thanks for the speedy replys guys.

maxirallye

Matty, I used to have a six speed 306 challange box in my 205. You are fairly restricted with final drives due to the six speed pinion. You will also lose quite a bit of right hand lock, I had a alloy stop made up to fit onto the power steering ram. Not a big problem, just need to be ready with the handbrake on the really tight chicanes/hairpins.

28CRAIG

Mi16, Xsara vts, zx16v, s16, xsi, bx16v all similar boxes that will give a good top end 140+mph but a short 123 gears.

camgti

I would use a BE3 1.9 with an MI16 Final drive...top end about 210kmh i think

Cam

chownr

Hi Matt

I run a 1.6 box in my Mi with a 4.4 final drive. Only ever hit the limitter in top (about 118MPH) twice - once at MIRA and then again at Colerne. Its the ideal box but if I was building another I would use the 1.9 ratios which have a slilghtly longer 1st gear.

I looked at a hybrid short ratio box using the GTi 6 internals as the ratios 2/3/4/5 are really good and almost identical to the Quaiffe close ratio gearset but unfortunately its expensive to do because you cant easily use the 6 speed pinion shaft for a 5 speed box

Rich

Guest MattyC

Thanks Rich,

I will look for an Mi final drive then, i have found on some of the tighter stuff she will just be on the limiter in 1st or if you use 2nd it really bogs down an takes a while before the power comes on again. - maybe its just my driving!

thanks again for your help.

Sign in to follow this