• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
zilog

Sport Exhaust Manifold 8v 205gti

zilog

I am thinking about either buying a sport exhaust manifold, or weld one myself. The thing that I have yet to figure out is whether or not I need to stiffen upp the engine mounts to keep movement at the exhaust joint to a minimum. The longer the distance from the cylinder head to the joint, the more movement..

Does anyone have pictures of their installation, so I can get an idea of how it's been fitted and done?

wardy18

ive just gone with a Magnex 4:1 Mani and fitted a solid alloy bottom engine mount and packed out the top engine and just left the gearbox mount, worked great for me as the motor had hardly any movement and the car felt much more responsive!!

zilog
ive just gone with a Magnex 4:1 Mani and fitted a solid alloy bottom engine mount and packed out the top engine and just left the gearbox mount, worked great for me as the motor had hardly any movement and the car felt much more responsive!!

Do you find stiffer mounts necessary? I dont want to go that direction unless I really need to since the car is a daily driver, and the stiffer suspension already produces quite much noise.

Mikey G

If your worried about noise due to mounts then why bother playing with the exhaust manifold? No point changing it unless you are going for a big power race engine which you wont be for a daily driver.

Stick to the standard manifold.

wardy18

i wouldnt fit a solid mount for a road car, this was for my hilclimb car and there was so much vibration throu the car cause of it but it was ideal for race!!!

go for a group n mount, hard rubber!!

and yeh like Mikey said, fitting a s/steel mani will proviade alot more engine noise as the metas is much thinner!!

snillet

And there´s really not much gain powerwise unless you have a "race spec" engine, which in itself is not a very amusing experience as a daily driver in traffic jams and so on....

The flow capacity of the stock item is not really bad at all. Not uncommon to reach about 140-150hp without the manifold being to much of a restriction.

sutol
I am thinking about either buying a sport exhaust manifold, or weld one myself. The thing that I have yet to figure out is whether or not I need to stiffen upp the engine mounts to keep movement at the exhaust joint to a minimum. The longer the distance from the cylinder head to the joint, the more movement..

Have you thought about welding a short piece of flexi pipe in, say six inches, that would save the manifold breaking and allow for a rigidish exhaust with engine movement.

Sign in to follow this