• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205mattgti

Helix Clutch

205mattgti

how usable are the Helix paddle clutches on the road

i am looking at getting one along with a mi16 lightened flywheel

cheers

Matt

ajm-e30

iv never had a problem with them but can be difficult if not used to them mate

Sandy

Sharp and occasional judder, but reliable and once you're used to it, normal clutches feel horrible!

saveloy

For road use a paddle will judder and vibrate on take up. You will need to dial in more revs than you are used to to pull away. I think they are horrible on road cars.

On top of that, a paddle will wear prematurely, compared to an uprated organic plate. My friend's paddle (on his 205TT) lasted 7000 miles! Whereas my organic Helix has done around 30,000 miles, so far.

Edited by saveloy

wardy18

whats the best race clutch to go for on a 205?! and what sorta priuce u lookin at?!

thanx

simon

Sandy

That's odd on the wear, because cerametallic friction material is generally harder wearing than organic and certainly has been my experience on the cars I've used them on. I accept that not everybody likes the take up, but it's usually exacerbated by using an uprated cover, where as I use standard covers to retain the friendly feel.

Miles

For a road car I would favour the Organic plate over the padel, I;ve used and supplied allot of Organic plates and yet to have a problem,

McPikie

Miles, what kind of price are you charging for a decent uprated clutch??

saveloy
That's odd on the wear, because cerametallic friction material is generally harder wearing than organic and certainly has been my experience on the cars I've used them on. I accept that not everybody likes the take up, but it's usually exacerbated by using an uprated cover, where as I use standard covers to retain the friendly feel.

That's the difference. With the uprated cover the extra pressure over heats the friction plate. The paddle types aren't designed for stop/start traffic. They simply wear quickly because of the extra heat.

205mattgti

where is the best place to get the clutches from

and what pressure plate should i use

all help appricated

matt

Sandy

Unless it's a boosted engine, the OE pressure plate will suffice.

UK dealers for Helix are Mardi Gras and Demon Tweeks IIRC. Also check out the OMP plates from YB Racing, I've heard good reports on them recently.

205mattgti

thanks all

do i use the standard release bearing as well

Sandy

Yes, but a slightly deeper one is sometimes advisable to take up the slack from the different fingers position, or it'll rattle a bit at idle.

205mattgti
Yes, but a slightly deeper one is sometimes advisable to take up the slack from the different fingers position, or it'll rattle a bit at idle.

where do i get one of them from

cheers

Sandy

Not sure for the BE boxes, but on MA's the 1.4 one is thickest.

Miles

All the same on the BE's unless you go for a multi plate clutch

Sign in to follow this