• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Shark506

Miami Blue 205 Mi16

Shark506

After owning two 1.6 gti's & a 306 S16 in my younger years, I have finally got a car I have always wanted, a miami blue 1.9!! This one has had the Mi16 conversion done already, albeit 5 years ago & unfortunately has not really been used since it was done!!

It has (according to the invoice in the paperwork):-

Mi16 conversion with baffled sump,

head ported & polished with Piper 264 cams,

Peugeot Sport driveshafts,

Peugeot Sport Gp N exhaust,

Gti6 master cylinder,

Gti6 front brake conversion,

re-furbished rear beam with Gp N torsion bars,

poly-bushed throughout,

GAZ adjustable suspension.

All the work was done by DES DEVELOPMENTS.

It also came with an unpainted automatic bonnet which will replace the usual laquer peeled standard one.

Apparently it goes like a rocket but not at the moment!! Due to not being used there is the possibility that the head gasket may have gone!! (praying not the case!)

It was picked up this morning & dropped off at a garage for a proper diagnosis. So other than this major (possible) issue, the car just needs tidying cosmetically.

Not yet sure if the Magnum bucket seats & Sabelt harnesses will stay, only driver's seat fitted at moment, i will have to think about that one.

So here is new project.

post-21785-0-03232800-1335449040_thumb.jpg

post-21785-0-85264500-1335449068_thumb.jpg

post-21785-0-67838900-1335449091_thumb.jpg

erwin_meijer

Looking good mate! Keep us posted.

GLPoomobile

As a fellow owner of a DES converted 205 (Mi16), I'd be very interested to know (or to see) what the wiring is like on yours. The invoice for the work done on mine includes something like £300 for a "rebuilt loom" but mine was pretty poor when I got it (not terrible by some of the standards you see on here, but by no means £300 worth of "rebuilt" either). I ripped it out and put in my own loom, which was built from scratch and only re-used the CAS wire and the ECU connector and the brown plugs. The rest was all brand new.

Mine also sprang a very bad leak from the front of the block (the engine had been stripped and rebuilt at the time of the conversion). The diagnosis was that the block face was not quite even at the front.

Not that I wish to concern you, but I am just curious as to what yours will be like, as DES used to get nothing but praise and I was surprised by the problems I had.

Edited by GLPoomobile

Shark506

Sounds like another potential job to add to the list!!

The leak is from a core plug at the rear of the engine, hopefully can be fixed without dismantling the engine. Once this is fixed I shall take a close look at the wiring & post some pics.

Miles

There's no core plugs on these blocks, Alloy

Shark506

I haven't seen the leak myself, previous owner claims it is a core plug. Don't know these engines so will bow to your superior knowledge. When I picked the car up the fuel pump had failed so wouldn't start (common fault allegedly?!). The more I write about it the more I think I've bought a right disaster!!! A trip to the money tree I think!

SAW

Looks good mate. Buckets look comfy

Shark506

Car still stuck at garage as my broken leg is taking forever to heal!!!! Just of interest does anyone know what the small intake (looks like one anyway) at the front near to N/S fog light is for? Not seen one on other 205s.

Shark506

Called at the garage & spoke to the mechanic with the job of sorting the engine. The only word to describe the conversion I can print is 'bodged'!!! Bodywork tin snipped & bent back, battery left loose, round air intake tube crudely jubilee clipped onto a square connector, a separate secondary cold air feed crudely attached to front spoiler (to list but a few of the issues!). It was supposedly properly fitted conversion!!!

The main engine leaks have been fixed, just the thermostat housing to replace (many thanks to Baz for supplying one) & it lives again.

I had a good look underneath whilst on the lift & all looks good albeit minor surface rust.

Looks like my winter project will be getting everything done properly, but before then i aim to get some use out of it.

boldy205

Looking good, all the bits for a quick 205!

GLPoomobile

round air intake tube crudely jubilee clipped onto a square connector, a separate secondary cold air feed crudely attached to front spoiler (to list but a few of the issues!). It was supposedly properly fitted conversion!!!

Similar to how mine was when I got it. They had fitted a K&N cone filter, but whereas an actual K&N induction kit comes with it's own 'top hat adaptor', which is a shorter plastic adaptor to join the filter to the AFM, they bodged it instead. I guess the same as what you've described. They'd the standard hose joiner on the AFM and just cut it back to fit the cone in the space, but since the adaptor tapers back from a circle to a hexagon to a square, the'd just fitted the filter to the hexagonal part and then clamped it down so tight that they'd actually caused the plastic to buckle in.

I guess they must have had an untrained monkey doing the bread and butter engine conversions just to keep the money coming in, whilst Neil was concentrating on the race/rally builds for the bigger bucks customers who were always happy with their standard of work.

Shark506

My broken leg still not healed so the car is still with the garage, once I have got the car home I will have a good look at the wiring as, by the sounds of it, the conversion & issues will be like yours!!!

Did yours have the extra cold air intake also?

GLPoomobile

No it didn't, but that's a common addition for induction filter conversions. The original K&N 57i kits from years ago used to come with a length of hose, and I believe they actually suggested in the instructions that it was just cable tied near the towing hook and then pointed up behind the headlight. That's pretty much how I did it on my first GTI, when I was young and niaive :blush: Total crap and probably does bugger all.

sensualt101

externally it looks good and should look amazing after a good detail! :)

as for those seats and steering wheel being a very modified 205 gti i dont suppose it matters if the interior is modified too but if it were my car it would be back to oem in no time!!!

hopefully you will sort out all the teething troubles and enjoy a few decent a + b road runs ;)

i will look out for further progress.

• Like 1

Shark506

The seats & steering wheel are going!!! I much prefer the stock look with the surprise under the bonnet!!!

I just need to get a drivers seat as the previous owner 'lost' the original seat & my good lady wants to drive it (in spite of her whining & protesting about me purchasing another toy!). I also need to raise the rear suspension as well.

With the air filter being stuck behind the nearside headlight, am I stuck having to use the crude cold air feed or is there another/better method?

Shark506

Finally my broken leg has healed enough so I can drive again!!! Picked up the 205 & drove it for the first time, christ it shifts!!!!

Though got home to find coolant pouring out of the top of the coolant tank!!! Phase 2 black tank with the outlet at the bulkhead side of the cap, an overflow or should there be a pipe attached? Nothing looks to have come off.

Need to get the ride height sorted out, too low at the rear & looks too high at the front.

The typical speedo needle wobble is present, so this will be added to the ever growing list of jobs to sort.

First job though was get the car in the garage & get that stuck on sun visor off!! Looks loads better now without it.

I will put up some more pictures soon.

Shark506

My daily hack Fiesta has been condemned to the great scrapyard in the sky (MOT failure report was two pages long!), so for the time being the 205 will have to be my daily drive. Having removed the stereo from the Fiesta, I decided to install it in the peugeot, an easy enough job one would think?! So I went out to the garage, got the stereo & speakers together, then set about looking at the existing installed stereo (missing the clip-on front as previous owner had misplaced it), the parcel shelf had already had holes cut for 6x9's (awful I know, but i have a pristine replacement in stock!) & the front speakers had already been uprated but attached to homemade adapter plates & don't look very pleasing!!

Anyway, first issue was the headunit had been rammed into its casing somehow bending the securing clips, so despite having the correct removal tool, it would not budge. The unit ended up backwards through the radio aperture resting on the centre console, which I then found to be only secured by one screw at the front. The passenger side rear plastic of the centre console has been snapped off at some point as well?! After much cursing I managed to prise the stereo out, connected up its replacement & all works well. The front speakers sound good but lacking bass, fortunately the 'new' headunit has the facility to enable the rear speakers to be used as a subwoofer (sounded great in the Fiesta).

Whilst listening to the sounds, for some reason I felt it necessary to turn on the 205 sidelights & discovered that the clock & half the dials didn't light up!! So as is usually the case, one job has now become several as whilst dismantling the dashboard I noticed that several screws were missing, clips broken off, so now half the dashboard is removed & a list made of parts required. By now it was late & my 'pi**ed-off-ometer' was at maximum so thats where I left it for the night!!

Shark506

Finally got everything back together & took the car out for a drive, all going well until noticed the fuel gauge needle dropped to zero & the warning light came on. Stopped for fuel & set off again but it was running rough, very hesitant at low speed but fine above 50. Drove back home very frustrated!!!

Will there ever be a time when it has no issues?!

Shark506

Got the rear suspension raised & the car now has a proper ride height.

Still not tracked down the cause of the engine's hesitation yet.

Been on with replacing various damaged pieces of interior, the previous owners must have been SO hamfisted!! Loads of clips snapped off, pieces cracked, items missing. I know the plastics aren't the best but just take some time & care, save further owners time, grief & expense!!

MiniGibbo

Looks and sounds going by the spec mint..!

Needs more photos though....

Shark506

The engines running issues are getting worse & as its my daily driver I'm getting very cheesed off with it!!!! Smell of fuel & very hesitant below 2.5k then runs ok with occasional hiccups. Having read other threads about similar issues, it sounds like & I'm hoping it's the AFM but I will check everything else.

Then to annoy me even more, I got into the car after work today & the bloody sunroof is leaking!!!! Interior light full of water & a trickle through the sunroof handle button!!!

Arggghhhhh!!!!!!

I can't upload any pics at the moment as having to use my iPhone, but maybe that's a good thing as I might take a sledgehammer to the car if anything else goes wrong soon!!!

Alan_M

The engines running issues are getting worse & as its my daily driver I'm getting very cheesed off with it!!!! Smell of fuel & very hesitant below 2.5k then runs ok with occasional hiccups. Having read other threads about similar issues, it sounds like & I'm hoping it's the AFM but I will check everything else.

Then to annoy me even more, I got into the car after work today & the bloody sunroof is leaking!!!! Interior light full of water & a trickle through the sunroof handle button!!!

Arggghhhhh!!!!!!

I can't upload any pics at the moment as having to use my iPhone, but maybe that's a good thing as I might take a sledgehammer to the car if anything else goes wrong soon!!!

Have you checked for wear on the 'dizzy' cap? Mine ran like that and on checking the cap, I had no inner pin left and was distributing via the spring!

Sunroof covered loads of times, the seals on the handle and check the sunroof drains aren't blocked.

Shark506

I'll check the dizzy cap, I've ordered some new seals for sunroof. Just leaving the car for a few days so I can calm down.

Shark506

So since my last update I've been busy amassing parts to get the interior sorted & back to original, got a few weeks off work coming up so can sort it out then. Graham kindly assisted (many thanks) a few weeks ago in getting a few running issues sorted & since then the car is running great (cursed it now!). The 1600 gearbox is going to have to go though, seriously fed up with it, works great, pleasure to use just sick of the high revs!!

I keep trying to load up pictures but it wont work.

Shark506

I knew I cursed it when I said it was running great!! Simple fix I know but now got coolant leaks from two separate sources, another job to the list. On the plus side I got the gauges changed over to the ones with numbers on, looks far better, just the new speedo cable to fit & can then finish changing all the broken plastics over to clean unbroken ones.