• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

barneys66

White 1987 Ph1 1.9 Gti For Road And Track Shenanigans..

Tom Fenton

Looks like some negative camber would help the tyres a lot.

barneys66
10 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

Hey Tom - my pressures were probably a little low too, and the surface is punishing in places.

Can I get any negative camber with stock suspension, and would it compromise road manners - I don't want to go nuts as it's a road car predominantly..?

welshpug

yes, the old 309 arm job will do the trick, you'd need machined hubs or eccentric/adjustable top mounts and small diameter coil springs to get any more.

barneys66
On 4/15/2019 at 10:00 AM, Tom Fenton said:

On 4/16/2019 at 12:33 PM, welshpug said:

yes, the old 309 arm job will do the trick, you'd need machined hubs or eccentric/adjustable top mounts and small diameter coil springs to get any more.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:09 PM, barneys66 said:

Autosolo finished after only 6 of 20 runs thanks to clutch release bearing.

Pushed offsite and recovered home..

48282065737_fd5fa440ee_k.jpg

Well, after the great advice above from @Tom Fenton and @welshpug, and the shagged clutch from last year, I despatched the 205 to @jackherer today with a long list of things to do and some freshly (i.e. still tacky) painted 309 arms, coutesty of, err, @jackherer

I'm a miserly old sod, but with my old truck needing putting back together to sell this year, my van needing yet more work (and definitely wanting to use for weekends away it this year), and an impending house purchase (which is a project in itself), I've admitted to myself that it's okay to have someone else do some work on the Pug.  Thanks again Kieran - by the way the first autosolo is mid-April.. ;)

Here it is heading off to @jackherer 's place - been spending far too much time on the back of transporters recently!  Genuinely gutted to see it go but excited that it'll be back out to play soon :)

49473938531_a808799fc8_b.jpg

49474469752_a4746ebbe3_b.jpg

Edited by barneys66

Tom Fenton

309 arms are an improvement, but only give about 1 degree negative, not really enough for what you are doing. Rose jointed bottom arms to give more like 2-2.5 degrees would be better.

barneys66
15 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

309 arms are an improvement, but only give about 1 degree negative, not really enough for what you are doing. Rose jointed bottom arms to give more like 2-2.5 degrees would be better.

One day perhaps, Tom.  Will see how I get on with these (and how much money I have left after all of the above!)

Cheers

barneys66

Good to have the white one back from @jackherer complete with a few upgrades and lots of fettling.  It'll be making the return trip at some point in the spring as there are some more bits to do; 2020 ruined our plans, but we both thought it best if it spent winter indoors.  So, there's a scruffy red one sat in its place awaiting a spanner check, fettling and an MoT.

New trailer towed well, bought for whenever targas restart, and is nice and light / compact for storage.

50782930353_7dfe7c938a_h.jpg

50782930718_f8dccc0c41_h.jpg

Also bought this on a whim, shown here in the car from where it came from (being removed for a K20 swap).  A complete drop-in package including the obvious bits plus full fuel and exhaust systems, and the mapped ECU and loom.

50609079532_65a6875cb0_h.jpg

barneys66

Some general tinkering onthe Targa Turd including new hinge pins to sort the dreaded sag and a replacement rear panel to get rid of the oversprayed abomination that was glued in place (thanks @jackherer for the panel and @farmer for the OEM clips) as we edge slightly closer to an MoT.  Still looking for a pair of seats and a bit more fettling before I get that booked. Also managed to pick up some nice guards locally for a decent price as the ones that came with the car are nasty.

51998169826_b89b6d316f_c.jpg

51998454374_e6aea5cf2f_h.jpg

51998454434_50c26b6fe0_h.jpg

51998451819_7836fd0fbe_h.jpg

Dragged the white one out of storage, taxed it and two days later took it for the first autosolo of the season.  Car was on song but driver suffered a couple of significant brain farts, picking up 45 seconds of penalties, dropping from second overall late morning to 13th by the end of the day.  Disappointing but still fun, though a bit miffed to find a smashed light after the journey home, and of course the only spare I have is a left..  @jackherer to the rescue again!

Photography strictly disallowed at the MoD location but a newbie took a video (for his girlfriend who loves 205s!) so I managed to get a copy - of course it happens to be the first wrong test I did, so listen out for the collective groans as I miss the gate at the top of the course, and my sedate pace on the way back (plus face like a slapped arse at the end - I cut if off before the swearing started..)

51998227418_b216b5c113_h.jpg

Back in the leaky garage it goes until MoT next week..

51997160332_89f008bef7_h.jpg

51998169781_99aa1e65be_h.jpg

barneys66

Progress on the #targaturd has been almost non-existent this year since the above update, but I was able to get the car to a friend who did a whole bunch of work for beer money:

Seats fitted on fabricated rails, including recessing tunnel and sliding runners for driver (to be replaced by double locker)

Various rust repairs, reinforcing jacking points, clean and underseal

Fit Xsara Ph2 rack plus original pump and alternator bracket to suit

52214249248_d8d3240ae2_o.jpg

52213224262_391f1d3a04_o.jpg

52214248898_7972c2b0d6_o.jpg

52214714885_8821cb100b_o.jpg

I bought the seats locally from a stage rally guy who'd updated with some new ones for this year - disappointingly I sat in his current Pro2000s in his car and they were perfect, only to get home and realise the previous versions had shoulder strap holes significantly lower down the back than the ones I'd tried.  I'm 6' 4" and compare then to the Evo2s I have in my other car and you can see the difference in desired height.  The Pro2000s are generally a lot better fit though so I'll continue looking for a newer pair.

52595781892_4ff06d88a1_o.jpg

Other than that I bought 8 x Speedline pepperpots and some newish rubber - it may be a turd but I'm a stickler for 'originality' so the 306 wheels had to go.

52596782233_25be835136_o.jpg

Need to sort the rack (cut down the UJ), plumb that in, sort the idle and some minor electrical issues then aim for an MoT in the spring.  Maybe.