• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Slo

Dying Your Carpet. Can It Be Done?

Slo

My carpet has gone like cherry red paint does with age, orange. This is very unsightly because the center console and door card bottoms are as good as new.

So can you dye it?

I sprayed it (wheeler dealer style) with cherry red once and it came up very good but that was 2 years ago now and its all worn off.

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

I've just washed it again out of the car and gonna try some fabric dye, probably a waste of time but here goes.

IMG_20130920_145859_zps11718e6b.jpg

Slo

The nylon brush was a good tip rest was pretty much common sense and the pictures are all dead but thanks for the link.

Judging by number of views and 1 reply i assume everyone has read this and took the piss. So here are some results.

Did 1 half at a time, mop bucket full of water, 1 pack of dylon tulip red fabric dye, 1 pack of dylon 500g salt, used the whole lot on 1 side each time leaving it to sit for 1/2 hour

IMG_20130920_165711_zpsf4843d10.jpg

Then a good hosing down, I washed it with the jetwash but hosed it with down after dying with tap pressure. Then left to drip dry. It dries incredibly fast on a warm day like this.

IMG_20130920_172528_zps74af4ce6.jpg

And the finished result is....

IMG_20130921_143322_zps2d9cc872.jpg

The red strip at the sides is almost completely gone so with the red rape tape im hoping it will kind of last at least a while. Started with 1 strip sticky side up along the stitch line.

IMG_20130922_164426_zps1b75bb8c.jpg

Another strip to give it a better chance of sticking to the rubber underneath.

IMG_20130922_165637_zps86282223.jpg

Then finally 1 strip on top to keep it red and hide the sticky side.

IMG_20130922_165701_zps983c1748.jpg

It looks pink in the picture but i can assure you it is red, not quite as red as I want it lol but its not orange and thats all that matters.

acox99

You could always dye it again. As more will take if you dye it again. Great to see that it works. Will be interesting to see if it stands the test if time. Did it cover up stains?

Daviewonder

Lets have a before and after photo then :)

Slo

There weren't any stains to begin with luckily as last time i washed it i scrubbed it with wash powder and jetwashed it all out, it could do with another dying really but haven't got the time to waste back at work soon. Main problem is the tulip red dylon dye from wilkos is the only red dye i could find.

Slo

Before picture is above showing the dye in packets

Robbiedundy

What did you spray it with originally? Did it go all crispy? I tried spraying my parcel shelf and it was horrible :L

Slo

Halfords cherry red. The knack is to dust it on rather than a nice coat of paint. It turned out quite good and wasn't too hard and crispy. But it did wear off quite fast and it all came out when i jetwashed it.

Robbiedundy

Oh, yeah I tried to make it as even as possible with my first coat, probs put too much on too quickly!

Cheers

Jolly Green Monster

That looks surprizingly good. Got a before and after in car pic?

Slo

Just been out in the garage and my 5 meg phone camera sucks salty balls, it must be colour blind cos everything is bleached not just the red. Ill do some in broad daylight with the rag down on sunday.

By the way this time round i've added 6 layers of laminate flooring underlay to make up the same thickness as the crispy crap that was there originally, soundproofing is spot on now.

IMG_20131004_224051_zps12246005.jpgIMG_20131004_224251_zps5ecfbb8b.jpgIMG_20131004_224230_zpsc45a4dfc.jpgIMG_20131004_224301_zps79fdeb35.jpgIMG_20131004_224333_zps2e5ecaff.jpg

Edited by Slo

jonXS

That looks like a job well done there buddy.

i might have a go at dying my roof lining sometime :)

Slo

If its rigid like the parcel shelf youd be better off spraying it. If you mean cabriolet headlining i wouldnt want to try that.