• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
welshpug

Comms Issues With Dta And Usb Adapter.

welshpug

Nearly ready to install bodies on my 205, loom is built up, got a base map, DTASWIN installed on desktop PC (haven't got hold of a laptop yet)

USB to serial adapter purchased, up to date Drivers installed from Prolific website.

ECU powered up with a battery reading 12.6v, fuel pump relay primes fine.

I get this error:

58457_10151518947035985_1724889767_n.jpg

I have checked which comms port the USB is connected to, DTASWIN is pointing to the correct port.

207293_10151518958380985_51748455_n.jpg

I am connecting through a POT box I have made myself which saves buying or making a specific lead, would be so much simpler if they used an USB connection.

13217_10151510227725985_1779587656_n.jpg

I have confirmed pinouts to be correct through the box

563186_10151480580915985_962948742_n.jpg

pugpete1108

Mate ditch the USB to serial converter as they are nothing but trouble. I went through a few on mine and it was hit and miss if they worked properly even with the ports set up correctly.

It doesn't take alot to confuse the signal using the USB/serial cable even more using that box thing? (Whatever it is :))

I bought a rs232 express card adaptor (£5 delivered frim japan) which goes in the express slot ( on the laptop) and a serial to serial cable and it never fails to connect.

Edit: see you are using a pc, does it not have a serial connector on it? If so use that.

Edited by pugpete1108

welshpug

No serial ports I can use, the PC is only a year old.

the pot box should not be the cause of any issues as the connection from PC to ECU is simply 5 wires between 2 serial plugs.

I have simply replicated this diagram but with a 9 pin in instead of 15.

Sch1.jpg

pugpete1108

how much was the usb to serial cable? if not a £40 plus one it will be sh*te trust me.

i had a cheapo that didnt even work, then spent £20 on one which worked when it felt like it until i rebooted my lappy then i didint work at all, i borrowed an omron one from the techie at work (£170 cable) and it worked straight away.

i didnt want to fork out that sort of money so bought one of these

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=express+to+rs232&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-y4tUdjZA62a0QXCvICwCA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1536&bih=710#imgrc=BDgKzUsLKeVtGM%3A%3BnJDPcwBmyxeZkM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fpic.wexe.com%252F75920.jpeg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.tradeage.com%252Fsale%252Frs232-com-port-express-card-34-mm-pcmcia-cardbus-laptop-s039-brand-new-and-ce230589%3B491%3B491

which has never failed to connect. if you go to a laptop i would highly reccomend one of these.

ive got my old usb to serial here if you want to try it? as it more than likely is that.

it really is a case of you get what you pay for with these mate.

port forwarding may help but i really couldnt get my head round it (messing with baud rates etc) or even changing the comm port to one thats not in use? (check in device manager to see)

ORB

Yup, my old Megajold would not run at all through an adaptor, I plugged it into the correct port on an old think pad and it was perfect.

Rippthrough

I spend £3 on an adaptor and have never had an issue with it. ;)

welshpug

I think I have figured out the issue.

feb

In the Emerald to get it to work you would have to follow this sequence:

1. plug in USB to serial converter

2. start Emerald executable

3. select the right port

4. connect the serial cable from the ECU to the USB/serial

Sandy

Do it on COM1, reduce Fifo settings to minimum. Should work fine then.

welshpug

com1 is not an usb though :unsure:

pugpete1108

even doing this does not guarentee it will work with a crud adaptor

rallysteve

There should be no problem using the adaptor he is using. It is the same as one I have used extensively for car diagnostic connection as well as interfacting with 8051/8052 microcontrollers and Single Board Computers. If configured correctly there shouldnt really be a problem providing the correct drivers are used.

Steve

welshpug

who said I have a crud adapter?

rallysteve

The one you have has the ftdi chipset so there shouldnt be a problem.

Guessing it came from Maplin?

Steve

welshpug

yup, I believe its also the same as the one DTA will sell you at about £40 iirc.

pugpete1108

who said I have a crud adapter?

Who said you didn't :)

welshpug

Got 2 plugs from maplin and made a straight through 9 to 15 and still no luck.

USB set to com1, FIFO set to min, also tried with them off.

with ecu off, get the usual ecu off/not connected error,

power up ecu it primes FP relay, and I get comms port already in use error.

rallysteve

Are you sure that your 9 to 15 pin is wired correctly? I have seen issues before with connections not clearly shown as being plug or wire side of the connector. If you are going off pin numbers though it shouldnt be a problem.

Is the lead from your converter the DTA one? I seem to recall emerald using a lead which is not wired as a normal serial lead (possibly as a null modem cable lead instead?)

Steve

welshpug

yes, certainly are wired correctly, one male 15 pin, one female 9 pin, leaving the pot box out of the equation for the time being.

original one pictured was not.

you can't get much simpler than this :lol: (being long sighted, I got seriously f***ed off with trying to solder the 15 wire cable into these, so that's across the other side of my bedroom at the moment)

8512587191_a8050e794b_z.jpg

8512604661_06e1a8bcd7_z.jpg

Edited by welshpug

Anthony

As above, are you 100% sure that the connector is correctly wired and you've not shorted any of the pins?

I've made several DTA cables before using the guide on the web, and it is correct and they do work just fine (on E48's anyway)

I have had issues with rubbish USB-serial adapters before, but they tend to just not detect or communicate with the ECU at all, rather than giving that error.

The error that you're getting almost points at something on the PC locking the comm port, but if that was the case, I would expect the same error regardless of whether the ECU was powered on or not. The fact that it only fails when the ECU is powered up suggests that it is seeing something on the cable, but doesn't like what it's seeing and is possibly giving an odd error. Normally mis-wired serial cables just don't work though.

If you really get stuck and you're passing mine on your travels anytime soon, I've got a laptop here that defo talks to DTA ECU's (was getting an E48 running last week as it happens) so can narrow down your issue.

welshpug

I was mid edit as you posted Anthony, see the pics.

Anthony

At a glance that looks right, from what I can make out in the picture.

It's very simple to wire (other than the closely packed pins on the 15 way d-sub end!) as it's effectively just 1->1, 2->2, 3->3, 4->4, and 5->5 to make the basic laptop to ECU comms cable without the pot box.

My offer is open if you haven't got it sorted before you're next passing Swindon.

rallysteve

You say that the previous one was not correctly wired. From past experience of an RS232 interface chip I was working with and the pcb connections being incorrect, the wrongly connected pins resulted in the interface chip being damaged and causing strange connection problems later on. Emerald also state that using the wrong (a normal serial cable) can damage the ecu (although this could just be to deter people from messing around and bombarding them with technical queries about connections). If i were you I would take Anthony or someone up on crossing the ecu off the list by connecting to someones known working lead/computer.

Steve