• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SPofRCLD

Mi16 With Motronic 3.1?

SPofRCLD

Hi all,

Around two years ago i switched my dead 1.9 engine to a dfw mi16, without having the correct management.

As the car startedits life as a1.6, the management is a mix and match of airflow-dizzy-comp that

Allow the car to run pretty smooth.

Now, i know that its better to have the correct management, but, finding all the bits now isnt an easy

Task, finding working ones is even worse, and then paying import taxes in israel, which is around 100%

Of the p&p is just plain stupid.

As it might be pretty easy to surce a zx with a 3.1 management here i thought going that route, as its pretty simple to wire, eliminates the need for an airflow and dizzy and an overall newer management then the original 1.6.

Now, the problem is that from going through all the posts i could find in the forum, or any other forum for that matter, on the 3.1, i understand that the comp needs a remap. I dont know anyone here who can help me withthis task so i thought about trying to do it on my own as i understand the major issue is the

Ignition advance..

I could get the tunerpro thingy, i have an mi16 dfw bin file i found in the forum, but besides that have absolutly no idea if its even possible and what else i will need..

I know that its probably a bad idea, but if possible might be a cool project and solve airflow issues for MIs like it does for 1.6/1.9

petert

Does 3.1 need a cam sensor? Otherwise, easy enough job if you can rewrite the bin file.

Anthony

No cam sensor on MP3.1 - just a built in MAP sensor for load and then the usual TPS, crank, air/coolant temp. Oh, and CO pot for idle mixture adjustment which can be substituted for a lambda.

welshpug

TPS on 3.1 is a variable resistance, so different to the idle/WOT switch the MI16 and 8v's use.

SPofRCLD

If the tps is different, are there any other engines i can tke the tps off if i will not be able to

Get one from a zx? And what needs to be done to fit it?

As for the ECU- i have an mi16 dfw bin file, can get tunerpro and watch some (well, probably a lot..) tutorials.

What else do i need to have to make this happen, and can anyone here help me with what needs to be done

With the 3.1 ecu mapping wise?

Thanks!

Anthony

Easy enough to use a TPS from something else with an adapter plate - I used a XU 16v one from a GTi6 and a simple alloy plate when I put Emerald on an 8v (same TPS as an Mi16)

You can't use the ZX one as the TPS spindle is different - D-shape on Mi16 and flat on ZX.

welshpug

make the mi16 spindle flat ;)

SPofRCLD

Great, i should be able to get a Tps from a gti6. This problem solved!

Found all the needed info on what to do to make the tacho work, so this sholdnt be an issue too.

The major issue is what exactly i need to do with the ecu, using what software,

As i have never done anything like this.

pug_ham

TBH, I think you'd be better trying to source an MP3.2 set up from the 306 S16 or later 405 2.0 Mi16, these are lambda controlled & afaik will work straight away with no need for remapping imo.

g